Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2018, 18:26   #1

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33
Technal sliding door

I finally figured out who made my sliding door on my 2008 FP Salina 48. Technal. It appears they're a UK company.

Looks like the same door is used on some Lagoons of similar vintage. Probably others too.

I'm looking for two things. Rollers. Mine are junk, and I can't even figure out how to get the roller mechanism out of the door. It looks like I have to remove the bottom part of the door as the roller assembly won't come out the ends. If so, how do I do this without breaking the door. I tried to gently pry it for over an hour, and only got it to move about 1/4 inch. What's the trick?

The other thing I need is a key blank. Knowing who built the door is a huge help, but I still haven't found a vendor for the key. I also looked for a key code anywhere on or inside the door. Didn't see anything.

Thanks for any help.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 01:52   #2
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Technal sliding door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornadosailing View Post
I finally figured out who made my sliding door on my 2008 FP Salina 48. Technal. It appears they're a UK company.

Looks like the same door is used on some Lagoons of similar vintage. Probably others too.

I'm looking for two things. Rollers. Mine are junk, and I can't even figure out how to get the roller mechanism out of the door. It looks like I have to remove the bottom part of the door as the roller assembly won't come out the ends. If so, how do I do this without breaking the door. I tried to gently pry it for over an hour, and only got it to move about 1/4 inch. What's the trick?

The other thing I need is a key blank. Knowing who built the door is a huge help, but I still haven't found a vendor for the key. I also looked for a key code anywhere on or inside the door. Didn't see anything.

Thanks for any help.
I've been through this 3 weeks ago. A shop in Las Palmas Grand Canaria had them built for me, 4 days leadtime. There are no bearings anymore, it's only plastic & ss. I can't remember the name of that plastic but he told me was way superior than the original. So far so good.

Yes you may have to remove the bottom part of the door, I had to. Very easy actually. You will find plenty of videos on youtube showing you how to proceed.
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 02:13   #3

I thought the bottom of the door would be easy to get off. I took the side screws out, then pried and tapped and pulled on it for over an hour. It might have moved an eighth inch. I'll take another run at it today.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:38   #4
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornadosailing View Post
I thought the bottom of the door would be easy to get off. I took the side screws out, then pried and tapped and pulled on it for over an hour. It might have moved an eighth inch. I'll take another run at it today.
Sounds good to me. FWIW I used a 1kg hammer and small piece of wood. One side, then the other, and finally in the middle.
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:47   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
Sounds good to me. FWIW I used a 1kg hammer and small piece of wood. One side, then the other, and finally in the middle.
Tried it again today. No good. I went at it with a 16oz (half kilo) hammer and heavy duty scraper wrapped in a cloth so I didn't hurt the finish. Didn't have a block of wood handy. I have to go back to real life in two days and I didn't want to risk damaging the door, so it went back together for now. It will have to wait.