Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2014, 07:16   #76

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat
Re: Takacat Catamaran Dinghy

Compared to paddling my paddle board, which is my 99% go to tender, I think it'll do just fine. If it's THAT windy out, I'll stay on my big boat. Or get help with a tow. Or SAIL it-WAY faster than most dinks.
I'm not an idiot that would just go exploring around with my dink in hurricane winds with a known limited power source.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 19:47   #77

Boat: 1978 pearson 323

Now that you have had your Takacat for awhile can you tell me how it performs in fairly rough weather and surf in comparison other dingys you may have had and also did you make your own pattern for the protection? We are looking at the 9 foot Sport.
riechri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 23:05   #78

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
Yes please! Me too, can't wait to hear from anybody who has tried it. It would be great to have the speed when needed, like getting back to boat with a thunderstorm approaching.

We are hoping to setup a Torqeedo dinghy with a bimini top that has the semi rigid solar panels so we can get to a dive site & the battery will be recharging as we do whatever we do. The whole top of the bimini could be several of the PV panels, and then removable so they could go back on the cat and stored under bunk mattress.

Deckofficer, why have you chosen the Cruise 4, is it to serve double duty? As a motor for tender and your yacht?
BB,

You should consider Nathan coming up with a similar design to the spirited ripple tender range. Tender Catamaran Kits | Tender Catamaran Plans | Ripple Tenders

Boat Designs and Kits | Spirited News

Or buy plans and have one knocked up with your boat.

The 3.8m in foam only weighs 41kg.

cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 13:24   #79

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Downunder,

Thanks for that I had not seen those. I've been looking at Porta-bote, Quickboat, Takacat as possible tenders that would be suitable.

I wouldn't mind building the tender, but then have to get it to China for launch, hmmmm, maybe not.
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 13:35   #80

Quote:
Downunder,

Thanks for that I had not seen those. I've been looking at Porta-bote, Quickboat, Takacat as possible tenders that would be suitable.

I wouldn't mind building the tender, but then have to get it to China for launch, hmmmm, maybe not.
Nathan could consider a matching dingy, competitively priced built there as an option. Ideal. He designed the Santuary Cove patrol vessels powered by Torquedos.

cheers
Old 03-12-2014, 14:30   #81

Hey John, you know what?

You are a clever guy I actually never thought of that. I've been so wrapped up in the details of the FreeFlow 46, I hadn't even thought of that!!!

You're absolutely right. Who better to design the perfect lightweight but strong tender that planes easily and rows well. With built in lockable storage area so you can put the Torqeedo outboard away when you get to the fuel dock and leave your tender.

It will go on the agenda of our next concall for sure. Thanks for that, much appreciated
Old 03-12-2014, 16:06   #82

Hi All,

I am about to publish a retraction. Everyone take note

When I am wrong, I'm wrong & happy to be corrected (usually). Just ask my dear wife

I wrote previously about expectations of planing a tender with Torqeedo electric motors, to the effect that don't get your hopes up. I said that Torqeedo's have huge torque and will push a tender when an equivalent outboard will falter, such as against big current or wind for example, but that they are not as good at planing a boat. Well, that is sort of true, BUT....

Torqeedo have a "speed prop" that is designed to go fast. I was unaware of how well it works on light boats. Check out this site that shows Torqeedo planing light small boats. www.marinekart.com

If you Google Marinekart for images, tou will see one shot of it with the Torqeedo tilted up showing the (bigger) speed prop. This is apparently pretty popular in Europe where they take sustainability a bit more seriously than in North America and Australia.

I think the pick would be the Cruise 2.0 since it only needs one battery, can be solar charged from removeable semi-rigid solar panels on a shade bimini, and if the solar panels give enough capacity, the tender could be run continuously on just the solar. That would have to be better than floating around in a liferaft in a survival situation, wouldn't it?
And imagine being able to stay for as long as you want in remote areas without worrying about running out of gas/petrol for the outboard? No more lugging jerrycans to replace liquified prehistoric swamp juice
Old 03-12-2014, 17:59   #83

Boat: too many

Quote:
Hi All,

I am about to publish a retraction. Everyone take note

When I am wrong, I'm wrong & happy to be corrected (usually). Just ask my dear wife

I wrote previously about expectations of planing a tender with Torqeedo electric motors, to the effect that don't get your hopes up. I said that Torqeedo's have huge torque and will push a tender when an equivalent outboard will falter, such as against big current or wind for example, but that they are not as good at planing a boat. Well, that is sort of true, BUT....

Torqeedo have a "speed prop" that is designed to go fast. I was unaware of how well it works on light boats. Check out this site that shows Torqeedo planing light small boats. www.marinekart.com

If you Google Marinekart for images, tou will see one shot of it with the Torqeedo tilted up showing the (bigger) speed prop. This is apparently pretty popular in Europe where they take sustainability a bit more seriously than in North America and Australia.

I think the pick would be the Cruise 2.0 since it only needs one battery, can be solar charged from removeable semi-rigid solar panels on a shade bimini, and if the solar panels give enough capacity, the tender could be run continuously on just the solar. That would have to be better than floating around in a liferaft in a survival situation, wouldn't it?
And imagine being able to stay for as long as you want in remote areas without worrying about running out of gas/petrol for the outboard? No more lugging jerrycans to replace liquified prehistoric swamp juice
Thanks for the link, interesting little boat. Tunnel hull so it is close to the efficiency of a catamaran. At $5900 w/o motor, a bit pricey. I'm not sure but I was given the impression that the V30 Torqeedo prop is only available for the 4.0. It probably would hook up to the 2.0 but would end the warranty.

As to charging with a single rigid solar panel, maybe but it would require (2) in series with a controller to charge the 26+ volt Torqeedo LiPo battery. Another problem would be raising the CG on a boat like that. Maybe (2) light weight flexible panels mounted atop the bimini. A pair of these panels would give you 200 watts at a voltage that will work for you and each panel only weighs 4 lbs (1.8 kg). http://www.renogy-store.com/100watts.../rng-100db.htm
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 18:27   #84

Hi deckofficer,

I wasn't proposing that boat as a tender, just an illustration of how it is possible to plane with a Torqeedo. I was thinking of a Takacat or lightweight catamaran hull tender.

You could be right about the Cruise 2 not working, I'll have to investigate further.

I would put as much semi-rigid solar capacity on top as I could, so that the range could be extended. The panels would be easily removeable for double duty on the "mother cat".
Old 04-12-2014, 21:59   #85

Hey Downunder!

I've had my little chat with Nathan Stanton, and blow me down, it is already being designed.

It will be really something. It was supposed to happen for Keshi , but got dropped down the priority list. I believe it will be very light & plane with a Torqeedo. Will be sailable (not sure about rudder details yet) & have bimini of solar panels to recharge the battery. Will be excellent rowing unit, and will have lockable storage to take off motor and put away where theft is a concern.

What a heads up designer this fellow is
Old 04-12-2014, 22:21   #86

Quote:
Hey Downunder!

I've had my little chat with Nathan Stanton, and blow me down, it is already being designed.

It will be really something. It was supposed to happen for Keshi , but got dropped down the priority list. I believe it will be very light & plane with a Torqeedo. Will be sailable (not sure about rudder details yet) & have bimini of solar panels to recharge the battery. Will be excellent rowing unit, and will have lockable storage to take off motor and put away where theft is a concern.

What a heads up designer this fellow is

Certainly would be simple for Nathan. Have a chap here in Mackay who purchased a Ripple for his 45ft Brady powercat which was made 200mm wider. His feedback is great but could easily be a bit wider for fishing.

In-house Ripple Project completed!

My thoughts if I was to build a FF in Lima was to either buy the plans for a Ripple or from Nathan and build as a project in Lima with Ballotta infusing panels for me. Was my intention to spend several months in Peru during final fitout.

Guess they will do a mold and offer the option on all vessels

Nathan has now solved that for you. I feel sure a foam sandwich cat dingy is ideal. I first saw the concept with Adaigo a 50ft M&M and dingy that was built in NZ around 12 yrs ago.

recon you should be looking at least 3.6 x 1.6-1.8m.

BB, lot of interesting info here in the design and build links.

https://adagiojournal.wordpress.com/

cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Allegro dingy 2.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	92993  
Old 05-12-2014, 00:04   #87

Downunder,

Thanks for the Adagio reference. Unfortunately many of the links are not still active, but many are, so some good reading ahead.

Also good to see he has used Ewen Thomson's lightning system, as we are planning to do.

Cheers,

Tags
catamaran, catamaran dinghy, dinghy, paracelle