Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2014, 09:36   #1

Boat: Switch 51
Summer storage US east coast

Looking to find a safe yard to store our newly purchased cat for the next year in a yard on the hard north of Florida or in a marina in the water. We are 25+ feet wide and 50 feet long. The boat is currently in Jarretbay in Beaufort NC. Our mast height of 75 feet will require us to move out prior to April as a new bridge under construction will prohibit us from exiting after that. I'm in Seattle and am very much in the dark about my options. After January 2016 I will move on the boat full time so I only need a solution for the next year. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
truckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 11:22   #2

Boat: Catana 471
Re: Summer storage US east coast

I can personally recommend Dennis Point Marina in Drayden, Maryland, near St. Marys City. This is off the Potomac River not far up the river from the Bay proper. Welcome to Dennis Point Marina & Campground. Fifty Acres of Beautiful Waterfront call 301 994 2288 | DENNIS POINT, a world away | WDP

I have hauled my boat there for the last three summers - between winter cruises - as have numerous other cat/tri owners with wide beams. I'm not cruising this winter and I expect my boat will stay on the hard thru next summer while I do significant re-fit.

My beam is 25'3" and DP is the only location in the Ches Bay region that can haul us other than Georgetown Yacht Basin much further north on the eastern shore of Maryland (and mega yacht facilitie$ in Norfolk/Portsmouth). That said, it is a tight fit as their lifting well is 27'. For wide cats we usually line the lip of the lifting well with carpet and set up at high tide to take advantage of the narrower beam nearer the waterline. DP also has been willing to haul my boat and other Catanas on the chainplates, which GYB has refused to do so far (that I know of). This may not apply to you.

This is a terrific DIY yard. It is not necessarily a yard for non-DIYers as the maintenance staff is small and are not sailors. Good showers, pool, and restaurant/bar. But it's kinda out in the boonies and has poor wifi and cell service, depending on your provider.

And, compared to other Ches Bay area facilities, very reasonably priced.

2 Hulls Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 12:38   #3

Thanks for the suggestion. I have been thinking it might make more sense to go north of North Carolina vs. south. I am not sure of the weather patterns in between now and late March for heading north either so I have a lot of homework to do.

Thanks again 2 hulls!
Old 17-11-2014, 13:24   #4

You're welcome.

You should perhaps check with your insurance to see where your navigation/storage box is for hurricane season. Some boxes limit vessels to N of Hatteras. For all practical purposes this places you at least in the Ches Bay.

Weather in late March should be OK for moving from Beaufort to the Ches Bay, if you pick the right window. Just give yourself 48 hours before the next cold front. It could be a <30 hour trip - leave before noon and arrive in the Bay before dark the next day. Alternatively, move the boat out from under the new bridge to Beaufort or anchor in Lookout Bight to wait for weather.

Let me know if you'd like any more info re: Dennis Point.

2 Hulls Dave
Old 17-11-2014, 17:10   #5

Ooops, correction: the Dennis Point lifting well width is 25'7", not 27'.

2 Hulls Dave
Old 17-11-2014, 19:16   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
Ooops, correction: the Dennis Point lifting well width is 25'7", not 27'.

2 Hulls Dave
With a 25'3" beam is this really feasible without risking damage to the boat? How high are the walls at high tide? I have a call out to Art @ Dennis Point to get some more intel. I have only had the boat lifted and hauled one time at JarrettBay for the survey and it seemed pretty straightforward, but as I said I am a greenhorn and don't know what the problems are of hauling with those tight restrictions.
Old 17-11-2014, 19:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
You're welcome.

You should perhaps check with your insurance to see where your navigation/storage box is for hurricane season. Some boxes limit vessels to N of Hatteras. For all practical purposes this places you at least in the Ches Bay.

Weather in late March should be OK for moving from Beaufort to the Ches Bay, if you pick the right window. Just give yourself 48 hours before the next cold front. It could be a <30 hour trip - leave before noon and arrive in the Bay before dark the next day. Alternatively, move the boat out from under the new bridge to Beaufort or anchor in Lookout Bight to wait for weather.

Let me know if you'd like any more info re: Dennis Point.

2 Hulls Dave
My insurance will allow me to be anywhere north of Florida so no restrictions other than that. There are not a lot of options south for storage on the hard I am finding out.
Old 18-11-2014, 09:41   #8

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

My beam is 29 so I am in Georgetown yacht Basin, great place, full service an safe.You might look up Jayne Marine in Reedville Va. They build catamarans so they might have the facility.
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 09:50   #9
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Plenty of large catamarans take a slip at Brunswick Landing Marina, in Georgia. It's up a river, and considered a hurricane hole. We spent last hurricane season there, and highly recommend it.

Brunswick Landing Marina - A full service marina

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 09:58   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRELOS View Post
You might look up Jayne Marine in Reedville Va. They build catamarans so they might have the facility.
Jaynes is no longer in business. I hauled there in summers of 10 and 11. He used a hydraulic trailer lifting under the bridgedeck.

2 Hulls Dave
Old 18-11-2014, 16:58   #11

Boat: TPI Lagoon 35ccc Catamaran designed by Morrelli & Melvin

Very pleased with Tidewater Yacht Service in Baltimore. Tidewater Yacht Service

Easy on/off I-95, reasonably close drive to West Marine, Wal-Mart next door.

They had several cats when I was there.

Marshall
Old 18-11-2014, 17:37   #12

Just over the Florida border in Georgia you have two choices. St. Marys Boatyard stores boats on the hard. They also allow you to live on your boat while on the hard and work on your boat. Another option is keeping your boat in the water at Brunseick Landing Marina in Brunswick, GA.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
ironhorserider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 21:46   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhorserider2 View Post
Just over the Florida border in Georgia you have two choices. St. Marys Boatyard stores boats on the hard. They also allow you to live on your boat while on the hard and work on your boat. Another option is keeping your boat in the water at Brunseick Landing Marina in Brunswick, GA.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Thanks, I have not heard of St. Mary's not sure if they can handle my beam. 25'3", but will call in the morning.
Old 22-11-2014, 05:29   #14

The link I provided above to Dennis Point is not working - it sends you to a different marina. Anyone wanting more info send me a private message. I am not affiliated with Dennis Pt - I'm just a customer who wants to see them prosper for my own selfish reasons: I want a reliable place to continue to haul out and do my own work.

2 Hulls Dave
Old 22-11-2014, 06:10   #15

Boat: Outbound 44

Check Deltaville marine in Virginia. Lots of people store there.

Tags
east coast, storage