Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2007, 14:13   #1

Boat: ron given 27' catamaran
snowgoose speed

Hello all,

I have read that snowgoose , and particularly Elite model, cannot sail very fast. C. Kanter , in a recent paper (The Elusive Cruising Catamaran Performance)
said that an Elite owner could'nt go faster than 5 knots during his atlantic crossing.
As I project to buy an old Snowgoose 37 ( I cannot afford a BB 385 ), I'm interessed with opinions of snowgoose owners about this point. Does realy the Elite snowgoose sail so slowly? Is the standard 37 better? has anybody already compare ?

thanks

Robert
bobnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 15:23   #2

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
There are several Snow Goose drivers in the forum and you should get some good answers. I have a prout 38 Manta (looks a lot like the 39 Escale but built in South Africa). With the weight and conservative rig, it takes a lot of wind to move her along. 20 to 25 kts gives me 7 to 8 kts over the bottom. In lighter winds, the Snow Goose seems to go a little better. I would think 6 kts in 15 to 20 very doable.

The above data is based on cruising weight, tanks full, porvisions stocked, scuba gear on board, etc.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 16:06   #3

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Hi Robert,

New Cal eh ! the land of big cat's.

I sailed and sold my last cat over there a few years back and would love a report back as to how she is being looked after.

A happy snap would be sensational. Pleeeeaaaasse.

I'm pretty sure she was renamed "Omea from Noumea" [ shudder ] and she was moored on the moorings over near the military at the entrance to Port Moselle. see pic.

Any reason why this style of cat is what you are after, most in New Cal seem to be after a bit more pace............and waterline length.

Have a cold "Number 1 " for me.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	027_27.JPG
Views:	453
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	1135   Click image for larger version

Name:	GoogleEarth_Image.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1136  

Old 11-05-2007, 06:06   #4

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
I buddy sailed with an older snowgoose 37 for a couple thousand miles in our old PDQ 36. His boat, like my PDQ, was a good 8 knot boat in the trade winds. He mentioned that later models of the snowgoose, specifically the elite, that Prout expanded the births and created more of a protrobance on the underside which slowed them down considerably. With his older snowgoose he made the central table swing up and over the bench seat on the starboard side of the settee and had two big arm chairs for the port side, the result was the 1977 snowgoose had a very roomy interior. So if your looking for a snowgoose, you might check out the late 70s versions in preference to the elite.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 16:52   #5

thank you for your answer which C. Kanter opinion. Newer is not always better!
regards
Robert
Old 12-05-2007, 14:05   #6

Prout Snowgoose Performance

Excellent postings by several showing their experience. My Prout Snowgoose was the largest of the canoe stern older models she was extremely efficient either under sail or engine. Have always considered those Prouts to be true motor sailers with excellent hulls, absolutely no turbulence in the thin wake.
During sea trials in England, before loading her heavily for comfort and fun (dive gear, compressors, arms and ammo,) we did 11 knots by GPS by sail and 13 by engine (I maintained an inventory of props for best use).
The Prout is heavily dependent on the headsails and a proper airfoil slot between the staysail and main (min-sail).
She did not point well, I admit, but being an aviator and navigator more than a purist sailor had no problem calling on engine (on long crossings I run the engine at night regardless).
Frankly, after studying the latest and greatest, testing and touring, have decided I want an old used Prout rather than any of the new `gin palaces' (they all seem to concentrate on interior space without applying the ingenuity, as the Prouts did, required to do so without sacrificing drag and windage.
HBH
ThePHNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2007, 06:30   #7

Would like to know how close to the wind an elite can sale also how fast?5knots seems alittle slow to me
alajuela33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2007, 19:26   #8

Boat: Woods/Coplan Boats (SA) Ocean Spirit 34
re Elite: Why not increase the sail area: Rig height, fully battened main with some roach, large screecher, code zero or large spinnaker etc etc.
Cause the Elite's are nicely setup for cruising - internally that is, and is newer build.
My experience is that Prouts tend to be motorsailors anyway, could increase engine hp as well.
cheers
redtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2007, 20:43   #9

George, when you say S.A. Prout 39 has conservative rig what do you mean? Obviously sail area but where? main, mast/boom size etc?
Old 30-05-2007, 22:36   #10

happy to meet kiwis here. do you think I could find snowgooses in New Zealand?
Old 31-05-2007, 05:02   #11

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
The mast on the SA Prout (as well as UK built Escale, Snowgoose, etc.) have the mast stepped much further aft than most boats. This results in a short boom. Masts are short, my HOA is about 51 1/2'. I don't remember what I measured from the boom up, but small for this size and weight boat. Double back stays prevent a large roach, I tried it and the sail twisted going down wind. It would not pop by the back stays.

All this results in a small main sail. Of course, this leave lots of room for Genoa and staysail to make up some sail area. Still, working with the short mast, Square footage is limited.

Hope this explains my conservative rig comment.

I suspect you would find the measurements on your Escale are essentially identical to mine.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 14:30   #12

I have 2 spinnnakers, a small and a larger one, and have started to use them more since I rigged a tack control system that is led back to the cockpit making it very easy to change setup when reaching with it. I also looked at Rollgen system(http://www.rollgen.com/index_e.htm), which makes life a lot easier. This could be a good option for the Elite Robert is talking about. I figure for any good true ocean going boat like Prouts we need good light airs sail setup, and since forsail is the main driver, this is where we need to invest, and maybe we will end up with the right boat!!
Old 04-06-2007, 14:24   #13

Boat: Broadblue 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePHNX
During sea trials in England, before loading her heavily for comfort and fun (dive gear, compressors, arms and ammo,) we did 11 knots by GPS by sail and 13 by engine (I maintained an inventory of props for best use)
Heck, we think 7 knts is OK under engine in our BB385. Our engines are small Volvo 20hp units. They are proving very reliable, light on fuel, smooth and quiet, but powerful they are not. Even with larger units I'm thinking I'd be surprised to see double figures.

What were you pushing that Prout with? D12's?
kcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 14:48   #14

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrane
Heck, we think 7 knts is OK under engine in our BB385. Our engines are small Volvo 20hp units. They are proving very reliable, light on fuel, smooth and quiet, but powerful they are not. Even with larger units I'm thinking I'd be surprised to see double figures.

What were you pushing that Prout with? D12's?
A big heap of tide pushing them out me think's.

I'll be happy as to get 14 knot's from my light and long 50ft powercat with 65 hp per side.

Dave
Old 04-06-2007, 17:43   #15

Yes 7+knots on the BB385 is pretty good considering its just slightly changed version of Prout 38, last Prouts to be designed and built. In fact BB sells Prout38 under the name Prestige 38, or is it Priviledge 38.

My Prout 39 does well in 15+knot winds, but yet to see double digits, 7 to 8 knots is very nice sailing anyway, for light winds Ihave a MPS setup ready to be deployed anytime.