Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2020, 05:29   #31

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: Silent Yachts Solar Wave 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlem24 View Post
You can't really compare a Silent Yacht with a sail boat, since it's a powerboat...

Not when you add the optional kite sail! The whole boat is not my cup of tea, but would love to see what it would do w/the parasail up.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 05:44   #32

When it comes to the guy who designed it, sails are no good, because they cause more shade then they help.
Question would be, if the kite thing is more then just something on paper. Haven't seen anything on that in reality.
harlem24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 05:50   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
When it comes to the guy who designed it, sails are no good, because they cause more shade then they help.
Question would be, if the kite thing is more then just something on paper. Haven't seen anything on that in reality.

Somoehow I doubt that that the sort of person who buys one of those is going to be too interested in flying a kite
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 06:56   #34

Silent Yacht just posted this video last week...

They used the genset quite a lot and spend for the whole trip 1300l of diesel.
Not sure how much a conventional motoyacht would have used.
harlem24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 07:09   #35

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Silent Yacht just posted this video last week...

They used the genset quite a lot and spend for the whole trip 1300l of diesel.
Not sure how much a conventional motoyacht would have used.

This is from Feb 18

I got the impression that they used 1300l for the 2100Nm crossing not for the whole trip, maybe?

Given that they had 30-40knots of wind behind them not sure solar had much input on that part of the journey. They were using all electrical gadgets and did manage an average of 161Nm/day 6.7knots so not bad but not great either.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 07:54   #36

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (18).png
Views:	43
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	215353  
fivecapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2020, 08:36   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivecapes View Post

You've got to read the small print.

YMMV

And "Lifetime maintenance free" is market speak for non serviceable. When they break down.you have to replace them.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 09:02   #38

As a Broker, I worked a Silent 64 at the Palm Beach Boat show a couple of years ago. Silent built 4 of them basically as prototypes for the upcoming models. That particular boat did a Transatlantic on its own bottom under solar electric power. Average speed was 5-6 knots. They had a 5 day taste of heavy winds and clouds. During that time they ran the generator for 4 hours each day to keep the batteries up. There was no discernable damage to the vessel. She was running all domestic systems during the voyage.

Regarding maintenance, consider what is in the engine room of your average motor yacht that is not required on these solar yachts. The solar panels were guaranteed for 20 years, the batteries, I believe were 10 years and the electric motor virtually forever. There are some brushes that need replaced after tens of thousands of hours. This is as close to maintenance free as you can get without buying a kayak.

Currently, there are 6 of the 80's ordered and 2 more with LOI's
3 under construction with a 4th starting within 2 weeks
8 of the 60's sold, 4 under construction

As far as being offshore goes, I could be a little flip and suggest that when you leave the inlet, the only reason to come back in would be to restock the food locker.....maybe the rum locker if you are so inclined. This is a real "sustainable" cruising yacht. I can be reached at 561-301-8126 if anyone would like further information.
Willy MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 09:16   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy MC View Post
During that time they ran the generator for 4 hours each day to keep the batteries up.

What size was the genset?
fivecapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 09:26   #40

I just reviewed the video posted by Silent Yachts for the first time...there are some differences in what I said earlier on information given to me at that boat show. My apologies. However, they are claiming faster passage speeds than I had heard....and maybe more use of the genset. Would they have made the crossing without using the genset ? certainly, just not as fast....having been a delivery skipper for years, I know we are always looking for the right combination of motor and/or sail to get to the destination as quick as possible
without risking the safety of the vessel and crew. When I was first learning to navigate, I found out that no matter how bad the weather was, eventually, the sun came out , you might still have the wind, but the sun was shining...good news for solar powered craft and sextant users.
Old 25-05-2020, 09:34   #41

Fischer Panda 25l 25kva genset on Solar Wave 64
Old 29-05-2020, 03:03   #42

Boat: 44 FP Cat & 45 Sea Ray motor yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
Interesting question regarding how they hold up. It seems that for a bit less money you could have a new Knysna 50 with the Ocean Volt electric motors and plenty of solar. The electric motors provide regeneration to the extent that if you're cruising at 6 knots under wind and you use the motors to attain ten knots, it becomes a wash on the battery depletion (meaning you could do 10 knots forever as long as you had 6 knots of wind - that's 240 nm's per day) And there's no question whether the Knysnas could do it as they're proven blue water cruisers. If you have the bucks to do this, there's no reason to be a Guinea Pig.

Thank you . Had not much knowledge on these. But I am impressed. Allow me to leave a link.:
https://youtu.be/lyUHcP4rEzY

Found the layout snd pricing real attractive
Gerrit Coetzee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, yacht