Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2019, 08:15   #16

Boat: Tartan 37
Re: Semi-flex Solar Panels on a Bimini

I've had two semiflex 100W panels on my bimini for four years. Don't follow the Sailrite video, as stated the panels will not take a bend over a hard surface like the bimini frame. Mount the panels across the bimini. We use 2in Velcro sewed to the bimini, hook side on bimini. This is very important, do not use nylon Velcro or nylon webbing sewed to the bimini. The nylon will shrink and cause the sunbrella to buckle. Mine name brand Velcro shrank 3/4" - 1" on a 42" run and puckered up the fabric, had to replace. The sticky back Velcro is ok on the panels, because they won't puncker up. Also mount one edge of the panel as close to the frame as you dare, this will reduce flexing. I've also have a couple of battens under mine to lessen wind flex and make a smoother bend. Love them the free power. We have an AB frig, movies at night, LED lights and usually topped up around 1:00.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 03:31   #17

Boat: Nestor Volker 38' One Off Pilot House wood/glass fiber veneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
We added four 100W semifelx panels from GoPower by velcroing them to the Bimini. Adhesive hook side was attached to the back side of the panels. Loop side was stitched to the Bimini. We did not cross any Bimini bars. Each side has a separate Victron mppt controller. Works great!
Hi Mahayana!
How much time do you have this arrangement?

I screwed up mine semiflex installing them over the bars, they melted away like usual. Another issue I had was the plastic became cloudy. Wich I polished and got 25% effectiveness back over the 50% of initial lost.

By the way, mine I've tied up with lines on the bimini bars.

Fair winds you all!
Gulliver 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 06:49   #18

Boat: Tartan 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulliver 2 View Post
Hi Mahayana!
How much time do you have this arrangement?

I screwed up mine semiflex installing them over the bars, they melted away like usual. Another issue I had was the plastic became cloudy. Wich I polished and got 25% effectiveness back over the 50% of initial lost.

By the way, mine I've tied up with lines on the bimini bars.

Fair winds you all!
I know you didn't ask. I also had the panels cloud up on me and was able to get some effectiveness back, maybe 70-80 %. The problem is that they fog back up very quickly. I went to the ETFE surface panels and been extremely happy with them. Have two years or them, including Bahamas in the winter. Using lines to secure the panels will allow the panels to flex and move to much. Sunbrella is not tolerate to chaffing, so you don't want the panels moving and you want the less abrasive hook and the panel. Tip, nylon (velcro) shrinks, so try to find polyester hook and loop. I have 6 years total with semiflex on a bimini.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 08:44   #19

Boat: Nestor Volker 38' One Off Pilot House wood/glass fiber veneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffcard View Post
I know you didn't ask. I also had the panels cloud up on me and was able to get some effectiveness back, maybe 70-80 %. The problem is that they fog back up very quickly. I went to the ETFE surface panels and been extremely happy with them. Have two years or them, including Bahamas in the winter. Using lines to secure the panels will allow the panels to flex and move to much. Sunbrella is not tolerate to chaffing, so you don't want the panels moving and you want the less abrasive hook and the panel. Tip, nylon (velcro) shrinks, so try to find polyester hook and loop. I have 6 years total with semiflex on a bimini.
Thank you Puffcard,

I believe we had the very same problem. My panels are branded King Solar. The fog on them started on the second year, now it's been 4 years, and the 200w it's been use to maintain the batereis topped. I'll look for those ETFE covered panels next time. I didn't have chafe problems on the sunbrella.

Thank you for the advices!
Gulliver 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:02   #20

A sailing YouTube channel recently used Neodymium Rare Earth Magnets to attach semi-flex solar panels to their bimini.

Does anyone have any experience with that?

I’m wondering about the magnets holding in strong wind and also about the effect on navigation equipment.

Thanks.
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 20:29   #21

Boat: Tartan 28

Custom Marine Products sells a magnet kit for Bimini mounting. I am curious as well. Currently evaluating options. I would do the magnets in a heart beat if I was confident they could handle an afternoon storm or blow while we are on the boat. I’d put them away when we are gone.
zemurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 22:48   #22

Have you considered making a foam and fg sandwich panel to act like a rigid base for the semi flex panel? This is pretty much what I've suggested and helped with. You can even build the plug and wiring into the sandwich panel and it will still be light enough to not be a hard bimini.
Gin-N-Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 14:44   #23

Boat: 1997 Bavaria 46E

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemurray View Post
Custom Marine Products sells a magnet kit for Bimini mounting. I am curious as well. Currently evaluating options. I would do the magnets in a heart beat if I was confident they could handle an afternoon storm or blow while we are on the boat. I’d put them away when we are gone.

I know it’s a long time since this thread was active:
I’m using the Custom Marine magnets for our panels. Work great. We’ve been in 35 kts with higher gusts and nary an issue.
A few magnets corroded but CM replaced them.
raingolfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini, panels, solar, solar panels