Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2020, 14:27   #1

Boat: Bali 4.0
Question What to Watch out for: Buying a boat from Moorings/SunSail

I have an accepted offer on a Catamaran from Moorings/SunSail . Its apparently about to start its re-fit process...would love anyone's input on what to watch out for, anyone want to share any 'lessons learned' would be appreciated.
Errant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 16:09   #2

Boat: Cruising Catamaran
Re: What to Watch out for: Buying a boat from Moorings/SunSail

The price paid reflects the market value which will be less than owner versions of the boat for obvious reasons. The real test is revealed by a decent independent survey of hull, engines and rig. Some Moorings centers are better than others at maintenance and so it might come down to which center you are buying from rather than the Moorings brand.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 16:24   #3

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Which Sunsail? BVI or Med? Hurricane salvage vessel?
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 16:25   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
Which Sunsail? BVI or Med? Hurricane salvage vessel?
Tortola Moorings station. Hurricane damage (did not submerge as it was on the hard).
Old 26-08-2020, 16:26   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
The price paid reflects the market value which will be less than owner versions of the boat for obvious reasons. The real test is revealed by a decent independent survey of hull, engines and rig. Some Moorings centers are better than others at maintenance and so it might come down to which center you are buying from rather than the Moorings brand.
Do you or anyone you know have any experience with the Tortola Moorings station?
Old 27-08-2020, 05:45   #6

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errant1 View Post
Do you or anyone you know have any experience with the Tortola Moorings station?

We buddied up with an ex Moorings BVI captain since retired, in the Bahamas on his own cat for a while. He did not make any negative comments about the company.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 06:51   #7

It would be better if you had asked before making an offer as you may run into issues where they fight you based on the signed contract which didn't clearly specify this...but...

Get a surveyor onsite and get a written list of issues and what is the agreed response to each of those issues (you will be in a weak negotiating position as the Contract is already signed). As much as possible, specify standard requirements that can be clearly confirmed upon final handover. (example: if the fridge got soaked, clarify if it will be repaired or replaced. If it's repaired, specify that it be repaired with original manufacturer parts and if those aren't available, they have to confirm the part with you prior to use).

Assume the worst and spell things out as much as possible in writing and push for confirmation. Of course at some point, you may have to back down over items that aren't part of the signed Contract, so I would focus on major items that will be difficult and expensive to deal with later (ie: if a horn is broken off a cleat, that's a fairly simple and cheap thing to fix yourself, so it's not worth a huge battle. On the other hand if the engine electronics got soaked with salt water, a rinse with fresh water and dry out, I wouldn't trust even if the engine starts.)
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 08:28   #8

Our personal experience purchasing a 2010 Jeanneau 42i in April of 2016 through the Moorings Brokerage was one of the best buying experiences we’d ever had. We paid a private surveyor in Tortola to do the survey. After forwarding the 6 page survey to Moorings, they agreed to repair everything, other than a couple of minor cosmetic issues, free of charge. When we took delivery of the boat in Oyster Pond, St. Maarten, they gave us the opportunity to live aboard for 6 days to check out all systems and make sure all was good. In the 4 years since, the boat has proven to be reliable, and with some upgrades (wind/solar/davits/etc) has been a very good boat. Hope your experience is as good as ours!
rms95835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 08:29   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 41DS

I was a Sunsail boat owner and took possession after contract term; this was the spring after Irma. The boat was docked and lost the mast when hit by another boat. Hull had some abrasions. The work on the hull was done to a high standard, and a new mast was stepped. They do good work, but sometimes they can not find qualified people for smaller jobs - lifeline stanchions were bent; replacements leaked through the deck. By now they should have rebuilt their labor force. I would be most careful with the survey. I saved money by getting an 'insurance survey' which turned out to be incomplete. Assume the boat took on water; even on the hard. You must check all storage areas, under bunks, under seats - we had a MILDEW problem that was not mentioned in the survey. Also, thoroughly check the 12v system; our voltage regulator had corroded, had to replace all the batteries which had overcharged. Our auto pilot had to be recalibrated, which took them three tries, this requires taking the boat out for a motor in calm water. Ultimately we had to replace all the electronic displays in the cockpit. Good luck. I will say that the company does not want to send you out in something un-seaworthy.
Alec H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 08:29   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms95835 View Post
Our personal experience purchasing a 2010 Jeanneau 42i in April of 2016 through the Moorings Brokerage was one of the best buying experiences we’d ever had. We paid a private surveyor in Tortola to do the survey. After forwarding the 6 page survey to Moorings, they agreed to repair everything, other than a couple of minor cosmetic issues, free of charge. When we took delivery of the boat in Oyster Pond, St. Maarten, they gave us the opportunity to live aboard for 6 days to check out all systems and make sure all was good. In the 4 years since, the boat has proven to be reliable, and with some upgrades (wind/solar/davits/etc) has been a very good boat. Hope your experience is as good as ours!
rms95835 thank you for the note back. Who did you use for the survey? would you use them again?
Old 27-08-2020, 08:32   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec H View Post
I was a Sunsail boat owner and took possession after contract term; this was the spring after Irma. The boat was docked and lost the mast when hit by another boat. Hull had some abrasions. The work on the hull was done to a high standard, and a new mast was stepped. They do good work, but sometimes they can not find qualified people for smaller jobs - lifeline stanchions were bent; replacements leaked through the deck. By now they should have rebuilt their labor force. I would be most careful with the survey. I saved money by getting an 'insurance survey' which turned out to be incomplete. Assume the boat took on water; even on the hard. You must check all storage areas, under bunks, under seats - we had a MILDEW problem that was not mentioned in the survey. Also, thoroughly check the 12v system; our voltage regulator had corroded, had to replace all the batteries which had overcharged. Our auto pilot had to be recalibrated, which took them three tries, this requires taking the boat out for a motor in calm water. Ultimately we had to replace all the electronic displays in the cockpit. Good luck. I will say that the company does not want to send you out in something un-seaworthy.
What would you do different if you had to do it again?
Old 27-08-2020, 08:44   #12

It will probably have been aground at least a few times in its charting days. Careful inspection of the hull is required and the keel bolts.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 08:47   #13

Boat: Jeanneau 41DS

I would be specific with the surveyor on what will be inspected. I would not have made departure plans until testing the boat. BTW - as owners, the company was required to have my boat ready, when it was not, me and crew were given accommodations on another boat. We stayed on that boat for about two weeks. It should have told me something when I met another owner who had been living on one of their boats for over two months, waiting for his repairs to be completed.
Alec H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 08:55   #14

They used to have service records for each boat including groundings and damage. You should be able to read those. I have seen a charter boat sitting on top of a reef banging away for a couple days. Although it was retrieved.
I managed a charter boat that hit a rock so hard it loosened the cabinetry and the engine bed.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 09:08   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

PM me and we can chat. I live on Tortola and bought a boat from the Moorings in the past. Was here for Irma and the aftermath.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying, mooring, sail