Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 05:05   #16

Re: Selling a Catamaran in Australia

Sorry floyd, but what has the exchangerate AUD/EUR to do with the differenz between ask and sell?
Martin Haupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:21   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Haupt View Post
From an European point of view, when I watch the Australian yacht market on the Internet, I'm a little surprised about the high currently asking prices.
Sorry, I did not quote the right sentence.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 13:15   #18

Quote:
Thank you all for your helpful advice. From an European point of view, when I watch the Australian yacht market on the Internet, I'm a little surprised about the high currently asking prices.

Has someone an idea, how much percent on average the actual sale price is lower than the currently asking prices?

Martin
The Aussie economy is in much better shape than most, so while prices have fallen, it hasn't been as dramatic as elsewhere.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 14:08   #19

With regard to the actual sell price, it depends on how much time you have and where you are. A friend sold his boat for a deep discount (between 20 and 25%) but he needed it sold and it was the first serious buyer to look at his boat.

Some of the boats sit on the market for a long time. Others sell fast because the buyer is looking now. East coast is definitely a larger market than the other cities.

It is impossible to forecast as our economy is limping along with signs that we are in recession which is disguised by a vibrant mining market.
Old 10-02-2012, 23:57   #20

Quote:
From an European point of view, when I watch the Australian yacht market on the Internet, I'm a little surprised about the high currently asking prices.

Has someone an idea, how much percent on average the actual sale price is lower than the currently asking prices?

Martin
Yes Martin, many Australians are surprised at the high asking prices too! That's why you'll find them buying in the Carribean or the Med. Many of the Australian boats with high asking prices have been on the market for over 12months and the owners are not highly motivated to sell. If somebody pays their price they will buy another boat (probably overseas!), but if not no worries.

To try to help you, a 2005 Lagoon 380 in good condition will SELL for between A$200,000 to A$250,000. There are ones with higher asking prices, but not selling. Compare that with similar SELLING prices internationally, and perhaps our market still commands a premium price?

There are Seawind 1160s on the Australan secondhand market of similar age whose owners are asking over A$500,000. THEY are dreaming!
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 00:49   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post

There are Seawind 1160s on the Australan secondhand market of similar age whose owners are asking over A$500,000. THEY are dreaming!
They may be dreamin but the the good ones sell and sell for good prices.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, catamaran, australia