Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2019, 05:12   #31

Re: Self build catamarans designs

To have a large number of sea berths in any small boat , take a step back in time and sling hammocks.

Triced up they hold clothes and gear and can be lashed out of the way.

The Kelsall boats are damn good looking , a large part of resale value.
FAST FRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 05:43   #32

Boat: tanton 43 43feet Amelia
Thumbs up Re: Self build catamarans designs

Thanks for the replies I have however not heard from anyone at has built a Bernerd Kohler design and came across his KD 1000 design interior fits my needs,and as a builder carpenter ply would be an obvious choice at present I have a 43feet cruising mono with a cat ketch rig carbon fibre mast it is to big and heavy for my wife and I when mooring and have always wanted a multihull .
jonannie@f2s.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 06:32   #33

Joannie, I wrote you on the previous page about building the cataproa from Bernd.
Philipcataproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 19:28   #34

Boat: building custom 46' hybrid catamaran

look at a product called THERMOLITE it comes in 8x4 panels and is made from foam with two fibreglass layers embedded in the sheet, you work it the same as plywood but it has less than 1% absorption rate, it is cheaper than foam sandwich and comes in different thickness and strength,I am building a 46 ft cat out of it, very easy to use, as I to am a carpenter and am enjoying the build
i am finding it a great product to build with.
good luck
Den
freeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 20:17   #35

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeden View Post
look at a product called THERMOLITE it comes in 8x4 panels and is made from foam with two fibreglass layers embedded in the sheet, you work it the same as plywood but it has less than 1% absorption rate, it is cheaper than foam sandwich and comes in different thickness and strength,I am building a 46 ft cat out of it, very easy to use, as I to am a carpenter and am enjoying the build
i am finding it a great product to build with.
good luck
Den
Any Links to thermolite?

I see it as insulation for coats and jackets when I google it.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2019, 21:12   #36

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Any Links to thermolite?

I see it as insulation for coats and jackets when I google it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ther...obile&ie=UTF-8
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 15:07   #37

Boat: building custom 46' hybrid catamaran

Hi Chotu the distributer in Australia is CCA Constructive Composites Australia,
www.thermo-lite.com.au I think it's an American product but not 100% sure, I know it was imported into Australia as I had to wait for some sheets to arrive,
it has a lot of things going for it, unlike foam sandwich you don't have to decore
any exposed edges such as shelves or drawers etc just shape and paint, it's alot like ply but doesn't absorb water like ply does.
Den
freeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 01:56   #38

I have found Thermo-lite but Den do you have to skin this over with glass and epoxy and cannot see anything about marine use has anyone else heard or used this board
Old 20-12-2019, 02:55   #39

Thumbs up Re: Self build catamarans designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by alumcat View Post
Self build cats.
I built my own cat. a sailing aluminium cat, 48 ft long. I bought the plans from an Australian, Tim Mumby designs. You could try googling him. If you want to see his plans, I only live in Gloucester.
Hi really interested in your build looked at his designs and they look very good did you fabricate around Gloucester area is the boat finished a very big project I do not require such a large boat nearly bought a eric lerouge 40feet cat as a project but now glad that i did not.Only require 35feet max as i have a 43feet mono and its too heavy as we more on a river in Devon .
Old 20-12-2019, 04:02   #40

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Thermolite is identical to Coosa Board in the states. Same stuff. Polyurethane foam reinforced with glass.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 04:03   #41

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonannie@f2s.com View Post
Hi really interested in your build looked at his designs and they look very good did you fabricate around Gloucester area is the boat finished a very big project I do not require such a large boat nearly bought a eric lerouge 40feet cat as a project but now glad that i did not.Only require 35feet max as i have a 43feet mono and its too heavy as we more on a river in Devon .

Do you know if the 40ft Lerouge is still available? I tried buying one of his Jeffcat 44, but the broker never got back to me in time and a deposit was put down before I finally tracked the owner down.

I'd love a Mumby, but my budget is deeply in project boat territory.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 20-12-2019, 08:26   #42

The lerouge was sold to people from Belgium it needed a complete refitted they just motored off from boat yard from Hayling island to Belgium.
Old 21-12-2019, 22:19   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobFord View Post
Big mistake - the sheathing traps water against the ply and causes rot.
Polyester or Epoxy ?

Have you looked at Roger Simpson cats ?

https://boatcraft.com.au/Shop/index....ex&cPath=32_33
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 23:05   #44

Boat: Volkscruiser

Well bonded epoxy/fibreglass with no air bubbles has never caused rot on any boat I have surveyed. Polyester resin well that’s another story altogether. But in saying that I have surveyed some plywood boats sheathed with chop strand and polyester that have survived the test of time? No idea why when others have had major failures.
Jonannie whatever material you use it has to inspire you to work with it. I have built boats in most mediums except ferro, steel and aluminium and I chose plywood to build our yacht. Mainly because I would happily nip out into the workshop and do an hours work whenever possible. That way we built our 32 foot yacht in 18 months while still working full time.
Jonannine not sure if you have ever built a boat, but I believe it is the closest the average guy gets to creating something that feels so alive. It’s just such an awesome feeling.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2019, 00:05   #45

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Well bonded epoxy/fibreglass with no air bubbles has never caused rot on any boat I have surveyed. Polyester resin well that’s another story altogether. But in saying that I have surveyed some plywood boats sheathed with chop strand and polyester that have survived the test of time? No idea why when others have had major failures.
Jonannie whatever material you use it has to inspire you to work with it. I have built boats in most mediums except ferro, steel and aluminium and I chose plywood to build our yacht. Mainly because I would happily nip out into the workshop and do an hours work whenever possible. That way we built our 32 foot yacht in 18 months while still working full time.
Jonannine not sure if you have ever built a boat, but I believe it is the closest the average guy gets to creating something that feels so alive. It’s just such an awesome feeling.
Cheers
Hi fore&Aft, well said regarding the medium needs to inspire you to want to work with it, never really thought of that before, but I understand that feeling, I much prefer the feeling of ply over foam, I wonder why.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran