Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2011, 06:55   #1

Boat: want a leopard owners version
Seawind 1160 or 1250

I was looking for someone that has a Seawind 1160 or a 1250 . Was thinking about getting one . Any info would be good. thank you
Gayleeann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 13:58   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Seawind 1160 or 1250

If you like - call me and I will point you toward some owners etc.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 22:48   #3

Try "Double-Wide"'s boat:

Re: Importing a Boat to Australia
Anyone interested in a Seawind 1160? My boat can be seen at doublewidecat.com
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 09:33   #4

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"

It appears that you already have a lagoon, a leopard and want to add a seawind to your collection. That is a lot of hulls! I would love to hear what you find to be the positives and negatives of each.
Spencer
Old 19-03-2011, 14:15   #5

Boat: Seawind - 1160

A Seawind has proven to be the perfect boat for us. It sails better than many other cats. In the past two weeks on a cruise from Georgetown Great Exuma North to the Abacos we have had a chance to sail by a Lagoon 38 under spinaker (we were using only main & jib) and a FP 43 averaging 1-2 kts more boat speed.

Also, we find the excellent visability from the salon and the cabins makes living aboard very enjoyable. The boat is light and airy at all times. We never get the feeling of living in a cave.

We also find that the backup from Seawind is fantastic. The are quick to respond with issues that occaisionally come up.

Please check out my web site www.doublewidecat.com

Cam

Double-Wide
Double-Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 16:11   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by scook1 View Post
It appears that you already have a lagoon, a leopard and want to add a seawind to your collection. That is a lot of hulls! I would love to hear what you find to be the positives and negatives of each.
Spencer
I think you will find they are considering a Lagoon and leopard and now a seawind.
Old 21-03-2011, 15:53   #7

The latest copy of Australia's "Cruising Helmsman" has a full page Seawind 1250 ad on the back cover. Is that a spelling error I spy, included?. They may want to check whether Bryan spells his name Brian, or is it the other way round. One would probably have to see the 'ad" to fully appreciate. Just sayin.
Old 29-03-2011, 04:25   #8

Boat: Egan 12.40, Carter 33, Seawind 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty View Post
The latest copy of Australia's "Cruising Helmsman" has a full page Seawind 1250 ad on the back cover. Is that a spelling error I spy, included?. They may want to check whether Bryan spells his name Brian, or is it the other way round. One would probably have to see the 'ad" to fully appreciate. Just sayin.
What is that your sayin, I haven't seen the ad............. whats goin' on catty. Just askin'. All the best from Jeff.
waikikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2011, 04:26   #9

Boat: want a leopard owners version

Thanks everyone , I dont own a boat as of yet . And yes I am looking for some info on a few . Its so hard been looking for a while, so many good boats out there.So many things to consider, its prob been the hardest desission I have ever had to make.
I have narrowed it down I think to a lagoon 420 or seawind 1120 owners version.
Gayleeann
Gayleeann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 23:52   #10

Maybe a little late, but we have a Seawind 1160. Bought it specifically for our perception of it's safety aspects as an ocean cruisers in the 38-42 foot size range. it has many niceties but safety is for us, at least, a paramount consideration. it is also, as someone else mentioned, a performer as well. We spend almost 10 years looking for the right boat, and really believe in the Seawind line.
egsellix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:08   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon

Hi Gayleeann,
There is a Seawind 1160 here in Port Hacking for sale, the boat was delivered Oct 2009 and has been beautifully maintained, looks as new. The boat is called 'Good Times' and the owners have decided boating is not for them at this time in their life. All warranty work has been seen to and am sure you would be impressed with this boat. They are asking around the $530,000 figure and if you are interested I can put you in touch with the owner.

Regards Gordon.

PS. By the way why not look over the FP Orana 44 while you are at it( similar price to the SW 1250 ), there will be a new boat on show at this year at Sanctuary Cove 19th-22nd May.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:29   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Hi Gayleeann,
There is a Seawind 1160 here in Port Hacking for sale, the boat was delivered Oct 2009 and has been beautifully maintained, looks as new. The boat is called 'Good Times' and the owners have decided boating is not for them at this time in their life.
in fact they bought the boat to do the great trip and having done it they are back to working hard on their business.

Quote:
All warranty work has been seen to and am sure you would be impressed with this boat. They are asking around the $530,000 figure and if you are interested I can put you in touch with the owner.
As can I.

Quote:
PS. By the way why not look over the FP Orana 44 while you are at it( similar price to the SW 1250 ), there will be a new boat on show at this year at Sanctuary Cove 19th-22nd May.
Are you an FP agent? I noticed your boat on display at Melbourne.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:25   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon

Hi Factor,

No we are not agents just very satisfied FP owners, also we are friends of the owners and just trying to help, thanks for your concern.

Gordon.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:05   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayleeann View Post
Thanks everyone , I dont own a boat as of yet . And yes I am looking for some info on a few . Its so hard been looking for a while, so many good boats out there.So many things to consider, its prob been the hardest desission I have ever had to make.
I have narrowed it down I think to a lagoon 420 or seawind 1120 owners version.
Gayleeann
Howsit, I also don't own a boat yet but, the Seawind 1250 is high on my list too, along with the Lagoons but from what I've heard so far, the Seawinds are easier to handle. Good luck on your purchase and good fun sailin'.
Aloha.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:34   #15

Boat: 33' Seawind 1000 Cat

First let me say I own a Seawind 1000, I have been on a couple 1160's and chartered the 1200 twice. I have been sailing cats for 10+ years.

The 1200 is a wonderful rough water boat, she really sits well on the big stuff. The 1200 is cheaper, larger and heavier but there is no doubt about the 1160 being faster and definitely worth more money.

I have read concerns (from people that haven't sailed the boat) about having to look through the Seawind salon, let me tell you it's just a non issue. In fact having a 14 foot wide hard dodger is pretty hard to beat when it's cold.

FYI regarding sailing speed of a Seawind, In the 2011 Georgetown Cruisers Regatta my SW1000 was PHRF rated faster than a Lagoon 410. (A 33' boat against a 41 footer) I started well behind the 410, outpointed him and won first overall.

My little boat really points well. On main and jib I can point usefully at 35 to 38 apparent. Best VMG is probably around that 38 degree mark. I had a large loose luff headsail built that tacks to the upwind bow and hauls on the spin halyard, it's cut pretty flat. With it, I can sail upwind at 30 degrees apparent even in light airs... I had it made to keep from having to motor sail when it's slow, and it certainly adds a knot or better in a pinch.... It also adds pointing ability if you stay on top of sail trim. It's easy to create excess lee force with the big flat sail close hauled when it's blowing 5.

I call the big headsail a "Creatcher" because it's like a Screatcher without the big "S" at the front.... (no big luff pocket that pops when you get under 55 degrees apparent) so I left the "S" off the name too, and it fit. It flies similar to a code zero.

In summary, the 1200 is a larger simpler design that is older technology so it's cheaper. The 1160 is a sweet little boat with a lot of wow factor. It's a sleeker nicer and faster boat than the 1200.

To get as much bang for your buck in the "liveability" department, in my mind you would need to go all the way up to a Lagoon 440... and then you would barely beat the spaces provided in the 1160. If your 6'6" the Lagoon would be a nice choice, but for the normal guy... the 1160 wins for many reasons.

I was going to stop several paragraphs ago, but I want to add just one more thing. Being an experienced cruiser, there is an intangeable quality that makes the 1160 my choice over a larger 1200 or 410/etc. When you get over about 38 feet it's exponetially harder to move the boat, to pick up and sail..... That becomes important on an extended cruise. What happens is a big boat becomes a moveable house, but the smaller boat is much more mobile and easy to move about and see new things.
Another intangible relating to size is: The bigger the boat the fewer "drop by's" you'll have. What I mean by that is with the open design of the smaller boat you live outside more and make more friends. If you want to be by yourself buy a big boat that seems "unapproachable" in the harbor.
Just some thoughts I have never seen expressed that mean a lot when your deciding on a ship that fits your lifestyle.

Sea Yawl Later !! Rusty
Sea Yawl Later is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Seawind, Seawind 1160