Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2016, 22:33   #1

Boat: Chamberlin 12.4m
Seawind 1160 Insurance

Hey all,
I'm having some difficulty finding insurers to cover a Seawind 1160 that is owned by a private syndicate, and travels from NSW to Qld and back every year. The vessel spends a limited amount of time on either commercial marinas or commercial swing moorings. I just spent half an hour on the phone giving details, down to what I had for breakfast, only to find the boat was worth too much.
Hoping someone may have some hints.
Wind at your back.
Jeff
seaskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 23:36   #2

Re: Seawind 1160 Insurance

Have you tried Pantaenius? We are insured with them and have been cruising the Australian coast from Brisbane to Busselton and back for last two years and We have not had any issues with their coverage.
Keith
Lagoon 420 "G'day"

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
KeithB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 00:00   #3

Thanks Keith. I'll give them a try in the morning. Jeeze. Brisbane to Busselton sounds good.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:59   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaskip View Post
Hey all,
I'm having some difficulty finding insurers to cover a Seawind 1160 that is owned by a private syndicate, and travels from NSW to Qld and back every year. The vessel spends a limited amount of time on either commercial marinas or commercial swing moorings. I just spent half an hour on the phone giving details, down to what I had for breakfast, only to find the boat was worth too much.
Hoping someone may have some hints.
Wind at your back.
Jeff
Not sure what the problem is.

The type of ownership; private but in a commercial syndicate?
Where it is kept; swing moorings some time?
The insured value of the boat? "Only to find the boat was worth too much?"

Many insurance companies have "agreed value" policies, however the figure that you stipulate and pay a premium on, must be realistic.

With marine insurance; getting a policy and paying premiums is the easy bit. Most of us do this and think we are "covered". The real test comes when we make a claim.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 13:26   #5

Thanks Tuskie. It seems a combination of factors in play.
We are a private syndicate. A couple of companies seem to have had a bad experience with syndicates that allowed charter type use by inexperienced crews. Not the case with ours.
Also, some companies don't like boats on moorings.
And finally, I understand agreed value. The company that frustrated me must have been a small boat only type, more for tinnys. They just forgot to tell me that till the end.
So, any suggestions?
Old 05-10-2016, 15:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaskip View Post
So, any suggestions?
I'm reluctant to recommend insurance companies unless I'm sure about their prompt and fair payout record. As I've personally never had a marine insurance claim in 35 years of owning policies, any experience is via friends and fellow cruisers.

I recently did some frustrating negotiations (like you) with Australian offices of insurance companies. Same frustrations, different reasons; we were looking at upgrading domestic policy to include international waters in South Pacific. Going through a broker who understands your special requirements may work.

We got good service and multiple options through SICYC's insurance brokers, but did not go through them. Our existing Pantaenius policy was upgradable but the rise in excess ( "deductable") was huge, and the International policy must be kept for a full 12 months if any claim is made on it. We were looking for a pro-rata refund if we returned to Australian waters sooner. We ruled out dealing with Club Marine because of very poor claims service shown to close cruising friends.
We were running out of options fast. Finally, we got a couple of recommendations to try Baileys Insurance Brokers in NZ. We accepted their quote for a Velos policy (UK based, Lloyd's underwritten) covering Australian waters and upgradable to international waters at reasonable cost. It came highly recommended by some Kiwi cruisers we met. I hope that I don't get to test their claims process.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 16:37   #7

Marvellous Tuskie. I'm on the hunt.
Old 05-10-2016, 19:49   #8

Boat: Beneteau 43

For what its worth, I changed to the Shaggers policy just last November, and then had to make my first ever claim (in 15+ years of holding various boat insurances) in December. Despite being smack bang in the middle of the holiday shutdown, service was fantastic. Full coverage for the damage. Took a while to get the work done so my holiday on the boat was buggered, but all in all I'd strongly recommend them. Particularly like the pay-by-the-month at no extra cost option. Now I'm just crossing my fingers that my renewal next month isn't too steep due to our claim.
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 18:29   #9

Thanks all.
I'm trying all the hints above. Hopefully my research can be of use to others.
So far, I've ruled out Pantenaeius. They will only insure a syndicate with 4 or less owners.
We have a renewal option with our previous insurer, but having had a claim in the last year, the premium has risen. I'm just looking for a better deal.
Working with Shaggers ( I though you were having a lend ) and Baileys now. I'll post my results in a few days.
Wind at your back.
Old 17-10-2016, 07:19   #10

Just Out of interest what is the value of the vessel.
Malcolm66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 04:51   #11

Hi all. Just to help anyone else in the same boat !
We eventually went with nautilus, though the deal wasnt great. It seems syndicates are not popular with insurers. Malcolm. I'll pm you. Thanks folks for the help.
Old 13-11-2016, 09:51   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Ohlson 38

Hi Seaskip,

Glad to hear you got sorted.

I used to be a yacht insurance broker in Lloyd's and we ran into your issue quite frequently.

If you would like, next year give me a shout and I'll be happy to help you find suitable cover at a price that may be cheaper.

Safe sails,

Hugo
Hanham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 01:41   #13

Many thanks Hugo. Pm on the way
Old 14-11-2016, 05:39   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Ohlson 38

Hi Jeff,

Unfortunately when there is a substantial claim, the premiums will usually increase for a while, that being said, sometimes there are ways to shop around for a lower premium, but keep the same cover.

I'm curious to hear more about the boat, her value, and her cruising limits etc.....We may be able to find you suitable coverage through a Lloyd's syndicate.

For some reason it wont let me send a private message. Would you mind if we switched to email? Have a look at our website Hanham Insurance Agency and send me an email and we can continue this conversation.

Thanks,

Hugo
Hanham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 21:47   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
I'm reluctant to recommend insurance companies unless I'm sure about their prompt and fair payout record. As I've personally never had a marine insurance claim in 35 years of owning policies, any experience is via friends and fellow cruisers.

I recently did some frustrating negotiations (like you) with Australian offices of insurance companies. Same frustrations, different reasons; we were looking at upgrading domestic policy to include international waters in South Pacific. Going through a broker who understands your special requirements may work.

We got good service and multiple options through SICYC's insurance brokers, but did not go through them. Our existing Pantaenius policy was upgradable but the rise in excess ( "deductable") was huge, and the International policy must be kept for a full 12 months if any claim is made on it. We were looking for a pro-rata refund if we returned to Australian waters sooner. We ruled out dealing with Club Marine because of very poor claims service shown to close cruising friends.
We were running out of options fast. Finally, we got a couple of recommendations to try Baileys Insurance Brokers in NZ. We accepted their quote for a Velos policy (UK based, Lloyd's underwritten) covering Australian waters and upgradable to international waters at reasonable cost. It came highly recommended by some Kiwi cruisers we met. I hope that I don't get to test their claims process.
We have a Velos quote from Baileys which would meet our needs. Hopefully you haven't filed any claims but by any chance have you learned anything more about Velos Insurance? No one I know has insurance with them.
mjean88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, Seawind, Seawind 1160, wind