Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2014, 11:38   #46

Re: Sailing Catamaran for 30k to go Around the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrentp View Post
I often wish I had done the same you are talking about. I was discouraged by my now wife of 35 years. She has come around and we are prepping to take off.
yep, this is basically why I am doing it, I didn't travel much , only few countries, and now that I am single and with money, this is exactly the plan.

thanks for the offer on your boats, but I did not decide yet how much to spend, either 30k or more, so I will find it out after chartering.
nulik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 11:46   #47
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sailing Catamaran for 30k to go Around the World

Well most Cats you charter.. if you want to buy one will be your 30K x 7-10..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 12:19   #48
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Sailing Catamaran for 30k to go Around the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrentp View Post
It so happens I have an Iroquois MK II for sale in Texas, "I also own a Prout.) SO relative to a couple of the above comments I can say this:
Iroquois - According to all records one has capsized. Doing over 14 knots flying a hull and caught a rogue from abeam. Did not have the main in hand so could not "let go" for emergencies. Mine is a 1978 and ready to go for $29k. It is a really good basic boat, very shallow draft, thick hull hard to hurt. It was singled handed here from the UK. If you are serious it is a good way to go many have circumnavigated, there are a couple in progress. The people I bought my Prout Snowgoose from closed their business and decided to sail around the world as a weight loss program I am told. They knew nothing about sailing and the EIGHT adults were onboard for two years making it as far as Chile before they returned having added two very small additional sailors under a year each.
All that to say, get something solid and reasonable to learn on. Find out if you even like living aboard. Find out if you have the patience for sailing. Ask yourself about the creature comforts you require. I often wish I had done the same you are talking about. I was discouraged by my now wife of 35 years. She has come around and we are prepping to take off.

There have been numerous Iroquois capsizes. In this link which shows the various Iroquois, they show 12 that have been reported as having capsized. Not sure how many have capsized but were never reported as such. Also doesn't show how many have capsized twice, which I hear happened at least once. That being said they are great boats if they are treated with respect!
http://iroquois-owners.org.uk/archives/boat-list/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
smj is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, round the world, sail, sailing