Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2007, 18:16   #1

Sailing a Proa

Here's a video of one of Rob Denny's Haryproas sailing.

Note the unstayed carbon fibre mast.
Old 25-11-2007, 12:07   #2

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat
As to be expected with any new idea presented to sailors, even multihull sailors - they are sceptical and conservative, hence no reply to this post.

I myself have also been sceptical about the Harryproa for some time, but have come round 180 degrees and now think this is a great boat / idea. This is said with the proviso that you want a fast, easy boat for short-handed sailing.

I have been looking, for a long time now, for a 12m-ish cat or tri with two double berths - don't need nor want more - for long-term single-handed / double-handed cruising in the fast lane and to me the Harryproa would fullfill all criterias. Her looks can be improved upon to a certain extent and build time and thus costs are relatively low. I especially like Rob's approach to safety and security aspects.

For more reading look at www.harryprao.com.

Just to make it clear, am not connected to Rob Denney in any other way than a possible future harryproa owner.

Roger
Old 25-11-2007, 15:44   #3

Boat: In the market
I agree with Roger. I have been looking at the Harry Proa designs for quite a while now and REALLY like 'em. If I were not in the middle of finishing my tri I'd be all over it. After reading the whole site and comparing to other Proa designs I would go Harry Proa.

I can just imagin what the moron-o-hullers would say about a proa, Ha.
Old 25-11-2007, 15:52   #4

Rob Denney deserves success for the work he has put into the concept. If I get the chance I wertainly would like to take a look at one in the flesh.

They are quite different to what most people are used to, for sure - and some of the figures are startling at first - around 3000kg for a 50 foot boat for one thing - although the accomodation is more like a 35 footer.
Old 25-11-2007, 16:16   #5

Boat: Egan 12.40, Carter 33, Seawind 24
Roger, I reckon they are quite interesting too, the proa has been around for a long time but the new tech thats going into the Harry proas & the windward accomodation seem to enhance the safety aspects, I looked at that video(only some cos it took a long time for my computer to get) & it seems to move along very nicely & easily, I remember an article in Wooden boat about Jim Browns son that had his proas in it, but plans were not sold cos it apparently wasn't so easy(for the average "joe") to sail(could be scary) but I think that Robs leeward rig & windward accom & unstayed easily depowered sail area address these things. The shunting opperation would be interesting to experience "for real" & I'm sure its no big deal once you've done it. The future may be full of proas, but perseption of symetry will have to be shifted about 90 degrees for acceptance & I might even get one sometime but for now a cat will be cool. All the best from Jeff.
Old 25-11-2007, 18:46   #6

Harryproa Home Page
Old 25-11-2007, 19:17   #7

Right. Just what we all want when the waves are up and the foam is on the water and our family is aboard in the middle of nowhere.
Old 25-11-2007, 21:09   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Right. Just what we all want when the waves are up and the foam is on the water and our family is aboard in the middle of nowhere.
And your point is? Are you suggesting these craft are inherently unsafe?
Old 25-11-2007, 21:16   #9
DtM

Joli,

It is easy to be dismissive but what is your basis for your comment.

Ever seen water come over the deck of your boat ?

You can be a sceptic but Rob has put a lot of time into his designs and they do work.

daniel
Old 25-11-2007, 23:07   #10

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
I have to say I would much rather be on a floating something/anything than a sinking something with a big lump of lead strapped on guaranteeing sinking even faster.

Dave
Old 26-11-2007, 08:46   #11

Wow! Opinions and converstaions about designs are alive and well!

Yes, Factor, I believe a design like this is unsafe for any open water sailing and I would not own one. Certainly, you can choose to own or sail a Harryproa if you like.

This is where we sail and we take safety very seriously. Tragedies ar nothing to make light of and discussing designs is a part understanding why tragedies occur.

Sailing World - This Challenge Was Extreme
Old 26-11-2007, 09:03   #12

Quote:
I believe a design like this is unsafe for any open water sailing.
What are the reasons?

Or are your beliefs based in your mono-minded comfort zone?
Old 26-11-2007, 10:09   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblanford View Post
What are the reasons?

Or are your beliefs based in your mono-minded comfort zone?
These are the designers words, not mine: harryproa/articles/ Meet Harry

" If it was to capsize, the buoyant mast and boom should stop it going past 90°, and should also act as a sea anchor, enabling the hulls to blow downwind, at which time the wind should flip the boat back upright. Lots of "shoulds" in the above as it has yet to be tested, although it worked on the prototype."

Wanna bet on all those shoulds with your wife and kids aboard, 46 degree water, and breaking waves? Can you think anything through or do you just hurl insults?
Old 26-11-2007, 10:36   #14

Joli, do you have any logical reasoning behind your opinion that Proas are unsafe? Any specific reasons?

Have you any experience sailing a proa?
Do you own a boat?
Are you just a cyber sailor?
Have you ever seen the ocean?
Old 26-11-2007, 11:14   #15

Rob, the designer himself admits capsize is possible in his literature. I think for the right locations this will be a fine boat. The right place (to me) seems like a fairly protected body of warm water with help nearby.
Closed Thread