Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2013, 19:20   #16

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)
Re: Question from a monohuller: 28 ft tri offshore?

He is not any more insane than those who voyage out in the open ocean.
Trimarans generally will not sink.
Sitting on top of a flooded boat that is now a floating raft is not particularly safe either.
Old 24-08-2013, 19:36   #17
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedennis View Post
He is insane.

Smaller multihulls capsize too often in bluewater leading to loss of life. It seems multihulls need to be much bigger to be safe for ocean crossings.

I would not take my family on an ocean crossing on a multihull less than 50'.
It's obvious you really should do some research.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 19:36   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

FWIW Had an acquaintance who attempted to sail under the high from Hawaii to Panama. They found his 40' trimaran floating upside down. The women he'd taken as crew drowned when she became tangled in some lines. He was never found. Yes they will float upside down, you might not survive the capsize however.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 02:43   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 03:51   #20

Boat: Beneteau 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
It's obvious you really should do some research.
In 2012, th 43' French cat LoveLove capsized in the Med resulting in the loss of five lives last year.

In 2010, the 57' cat Anna capsized in the South Pacific. The skipper reported they were very lucky to escape with their lives

In 2007, the 43' US cat Queeqig II capsized of the coast of Madagascar, resulting in the loss of two lives.

In these three case the boats capsized and could not self-right resulting in dangerous or fatal conditions for the crew.

And for those who think cats can't sink:
In 2012 the 34' Australian cat There Hay Nuiu was sunk while trying to navigate an inlet on the coast of Australia.

Personally, I think the risk is too high. But then again many people think I am taking an insane risk cruising on a Pacific Seacraft 34.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 04:36   #21
smj

Quote:

In 2012, th 43' French cat LoveLove capsized in the Med resulting in the loss of five lives last year.

In 2010, the 57' cat Anna capsized in the South Pacific. The skipper reported they were very lucky to escape with their lives

In 2007, the 43' US cat Queeqig II capsized of the coast of Madagascar, resulting in the loss of two lives.

In these three case the boats capsized and could not self-right resulting in dangerous or fatal conditions for the crew.

And for those who think cats can't sink:
In 2012 the 34' Australian cat There Hay Nuiu was sunk while trying to navigate an inlet on the coast of Australia.

Personally, I think the risk is too high. But then again many people think I am taking an insane risk cruising on a Pacific Seacraft 34.
Seems just this year there have been quite a few monos over 100' that have sank. You've produced three instances in the past six years concerning cats. Both types can cause loss of life, but statistically your safer on a multi.
Old 25-08-2013, 05:12   #22

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Monos vs. multis. Yawn.
Been there, done that, had the argument, got the t-shirt.
Old 25-08-2013, 06:36   #23

Boat: Beneteau 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Both types can cause loss of life, but statistically your safer on a multi.
I love multis, I raced a tri with my Dad as a teenager and my first boat was a cat.

But a trip to Hawaii that would scare the hell out of me on a 27' tri after reading the capsize stories.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 07:13   #24

We only get one life to live, the average person will go to work, wait for retirement age and die. The dream of sailing away and living a life of adventure is almost gone. the Pacific ocean is becoming a Nuclear garbage dump from Japan and the gulf of Mexico is dying due to the dispersant, killing the sea from the bottom up. The fact it isn't in our local news is proof that people sit on the couch and watch life go by. Everyday someone dies in a car wreck and someone sails around the world, the 16 year old kid that just sailed around the world said as he was passing the horn, " If I die I will have no regrets and I would rather die here with no regrets than live till I am 70 with regrets". So those of you that sit on the couch and write about risks that you wouldn't take don't worry the adventurers are listening anyway. Happy sailing! PS, A monohull is better than nothing and a good multihull flys while it sails. It is your life you pick
multihuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 11:09   #25

My problem is not the size (although there may be merit there) My problem is taking the family on a plywood boat of unknown strength on the trip. I would want a few years of sailing under my belt in all conditions with the boat until I gained the confidence that the construction , condition and design was bulletproof.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 11:20   #26
smj

Quote:

I love multis, I raced a tri with my Dad as a teenager and my first boat was a cat.

But a trip to Hawaii that would scare the hell out of me on a 27' tri after reading the capsize stories.
You're absolutely right, does seem kind of small. Though it has been done numerous times.
Old 25-08-2013, 11:33   #27

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I suspect that the worry is premature here. Sounds to me like even this know-it-all idiot is a long way from departure. Seems to me that the process of "getting ready" is likely to open his eyes to the condition of the boat. Sure hope so...

If one considers the many delays that plague the average non-idiot cruiser prior to departure we may have a bit of breathing room before calling the Coasties.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 25-08-2013, 11:43   #28

I have an extra 38'x24' fiberglass cruising trimaran that I would lease, it would be east coast/ Bahamas area. It would run me $15k to $20k to prep her so I would need to charge around $2k a month, long term a little less. Look up Harris trimaran on you tube
multihuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 17:35   #29

Without getting into the 'your boat sinks, my boat floats upside down' rat-hole, I'd suggest the same for a 'new to anyone' mono or multi - learn to sail and maintain the boat before risking anything or anyone. I sailed a 22' piver from San Diego to Ensenada as a teen in the 60's but wouldn't do it again. My 31' tri (not piver) lives full time in the great big blue pacific off Catalina in southern cal and in SF and has for over a decade. It's seen lots of weather and maintenance cycles & thousands of miles, but the boat's been perfectly safe and dry - there's a lot to be said for being properly prepared. take away his copies of Arthur Piver's books (Piver was notorious for spreading the 'can't sink' story - but later was lost at sea.... I agree that Jim Brown gives a better perspective on the realities...
bluetriguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 17:55   #30

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

I think if you plan on any seriously long crossing, with all the inherent dangers involved, you get the best boat to do it in. And that's especially true if you're bringing kids along.
That said, even a 700+ ft. ship like the Edmund Fitzgerald can run into very bad luck.
Get the best boat, and be lucky.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull, offshore, paracelle