Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2016, 11:38   #16

Re: Question for experienced boat purchasers

I understand your fight however, the "pay your taxes" forum is on another site. Mine was just a simple question of what fees, duty, and taxes might be incurred purchasing a boat in another country. I'm just a simple army guy retiring trying to a few bucks on a retirement purchase.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
alverz2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 11:44   #17

*save

Old 30-06-2016, 11:56   #18

Boat: 1976 Albin 7.9 meter sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by alverz2007 View Post
I understand your fight however, the "pay your taxes" forum is on another site. Mine was just a simple question of what fees, duty, and taxes might be incurred purchasing a boat in another country. I'm just a simple army guy retiring trying to a few bucks on a retirement purchase.

I have NO 'fight' with you, nor anyone. I was specifically reacting to responses you'd gotten to your very fair question, some of which were suggesting all the 'loopholes' you could use to avoid paying anything much to register your boat. That's it. I'm like you, a retired guy, trying to make it, too, and kind of PO'd at those who want to avoid paying their share. Never suggested that was you.....Sorry if you took it that way..
scareygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 12:01   #19

Well, I s'pose a fair question for a fellow Canadian is why would you look "off shore" for a boat when there are so many wonderful boats for sale all over Canada? No fuss no muss no bother. Yer pays yer GST/HRT and any pervincial taxes that apply and Bob's yer uncle.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 12:08   #20

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

I pay tax in Canada and the boat was purchased with out the intention of bringoing it to Canada. My government does not want the tax unless we change our minds. I don't feel bad. I paid full pop on the boat we have in Canada and I don't feel bad about that either.
I wanted to sail under my own flag and I do
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 12:18   #21

Hi Trente, I'm trying to find a boat in Canada, but what we are looking for are few and far between, but I admit to being new so I may not know all the places to look lol. We were looking at a brand new Lagoon 39 ordered out of Vancouver for 490k after euro conversion, duty, and shipping, but not including taxes. Also a couple of older Canadian made PDQs in the Great Lakes. Most Canadian owned sail boat appear to be stored down south and for sale in US dollars which will cost money conversion, duty, tax, and unknown fees? If you have another line on sail boats in Canada, I'm all ears!

Old 30-06-2016, 12:23   #22

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scareygary View Post
I have a different view than the tone of many of these responses. I'm so sick of people doing whatever they can to avoid taxes on purchases of every type, even to the extent of 'offshoring' properties. Then many complain about why there are so many CUTS to programs and services provided by government, many of them very useful. I shouldn't have to list them,
As the old expression goes, there is noting wrong with tax avoidance, but tax evasion is a crime. We do disagree about who is complaining about program cuts. Rarely, if ever, is it the taxpayers, or the tax avoiders, and probably not the tax evaders either. It is the group who receive direct financial benefit from the programs, whether they are in government employ or on the rolls as beneficiaries. Teachers, such as my now-retired spouse, are rarely happy about any cut in any program that affects them. On the other hand, since I was only an indirect beneficiary of those programs, I was often not only unsure as to why they existed in the first place, I was happy yo see them go, while holding a sadness that they would soon return, often in a more expensive form.

The bottom line, irrespective of opinions about benefit, is that improvident and poorly thought out taxation schemes may actually result in a reduction of revenue for the taxing authority..
Old 30-06-2016, 12:24   #23

I concur Admiral

Old 30-06-2016, 12:30   #24

So if I wish (with all my heart) better life to country other than Canada (for example), I can pay taxes out there (legally), right? I hope you are fine with that.
Unfortunately, I have way too much education and researched the matter way too deep to accept optimistic bs you are suggesting.
The funny thing is that there is nothing - ABSOLUTELY nothing you can change. They make you think there is a choice, that you "can" elect someone of "your choice". In fact, THEY give you the choices - one bs vs another. There been few people in history who were trying to change the world. John Kennedy - one of them. But he ended up not very well...But then again, you probably believe in ferry tale that Osvald killed him...
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 12:32   #25

I'm buying ranchero a beer....

Old 30-06-2016, 12:45   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by alverz2007 View Post
I'm buying ranchero a beer....

Thanks!)) Unfortunately, for now all of what you're guys doing is just a dream for me... But who knows, sometimes dreams come true, may be we'll meet sometime somewhere on the water and have couple drinks))
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 12:51   #27

Ah, yes - If you are solely interested in catamarans, then I think the best you can hope for in Canada is a Hobie-cat ;-0)!

I'm strictly monohull meself, and I know I'm often the odd man out, for I have no interest in coconuts and long, hot, sandy beaches teeming with bare-bossomed women. I'm strictly cold-water, coastal. Chacun a son gout!

Nor am I a fan of crossing the "black water" at five knots - or even 25, so if French Polynesia were my thing, I, like so many, should want to keep the boat, and indeed buy the boat, where I intended to use 'er.

I noted that you are ex-forces, and I can well understand that unless you had quite some rank, the size of the pension affects the choice of boat and of cruising water.

So I'm interested in whether your plumping for a cat is an irreversible choice, and if so why. Not that I have any wish to "convert" you, but if a mono will do the job for you, then the market offerings become SO much greater.

Right next to me is a US30 that you can have for fifteenhunnert bux. She requires work, of course. Good monos, big enuff for man and maid, are available in the Salish Sea for 15K, ready to cruise. Two nights ago while trying to knock our local Legion Branch's Colour Party into shape for Canada Day, I was set upon by a young lady who with two mates had just returned from French Polynesia in a Vancouver 27. Just another one of those cases when duty gets in the way of pleasure, eh :-)!

One of my idées fixe is that cruising boats are to a large extent "commodities". Seen one you seen 'em all. Not quite true of course. We all have preferences and specific, definable needs, and it is wise to consider them when it is time to buy, but on the other hand, given that boats are compromises in so many respects, it is also wise, I think, to consider the old saw that for 20% of the effort - or money - you get 80% of the desired results :-)

Salut

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 13:07   #28

Hey Trente, well, have viewed and been on both monohull and multi and we prefer multi, more room, more stable, etc. More expensive lol
I figure that if I'm going to pay out the big bucks, might as well get something we like rather than something we would only settle on. I'm not quite retired yet, one more year to go to give me 37 yrs. retirement pensions from the wife and I will give us about 105k gross, not bad as we are both senior ranking. So, I still have a year to look and learn

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 30-06-2016, 14:29   #29

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by scareygary View Post
I have a different view than the tone of many of these responses. I'm so sick of people doing whatever they can to avoid taxes on purchases of every type, even to the extent of 'offshoring' properties. Then many complain about why there are so many CUTS to programs and services provided by government, many of them very useful. I shouldn't have to list them, if you simply look. As someone who chose to work in the public sector as an educator, most of my pennies earned were ultimately paid by TAX dollars from one source or another, and every item I bought in stores (like yours?) for boating supplies or whatever is a tax dollar coming home to roost.

If one can afford a BOAT, one should be able to kick in some for the services we expect, from nav aids to public moorages, parks, local Coast Guard services, government weather, etc. I've seen SO many big, expensive boats come to marine parks and not even pony up for registration and fees to stay there, but then complain if they see something lacking maintenance, etc. Talk about 'privileged'

Respectfully, quit playing the game, and pay your doggone taxes and fees!

OKay....I'm now wearing body armor (or armour? for my Canadian friends?). I know full well this will tick off some folks, but I think this is a point of view that some might consider once in awhile)
Scareygary from Battle Ground, Wa... who here on this thread is not paying taxes and fees for their boats if they own one or the myriad of taxes , fees in their own respective countries where they live? Name somebody above...

" I am simply suggesting that if you want SERVICES from government (I'm American), like GPS, nav markers, dredging?, weather info, Coast Guard, marine parks, environmental protections and cleanup, docks, and so much more that are often taken for granted, then paying one's fair share in taxes is what one does "

I have been keeping my boat in the US part time yearly for haulouts, work, refits, cruising etc etc for the last 6 years when not further south yearly. Conservatively I have spent well over $150,000 in the US economy (for goods and services regarding my boat) for the past 8 years and will continue spending more until we head to a new continent. (your welcome to come to Sarnia and Maryland to look at records and receipts)
Have you spent the same on your boat if you have one? to help pay for the above services you list...

"I'll pay my fair share to support civilization, and I'll continue offering my opinion, thanks. Just trying to get some of you to see the issue from another perspective is all.. I'm not trying to pick a fight here, no matter how you want to interpret my remarks...."

Just exactly how are we to interpret your remarks? Do you know anything of my situation or background to apply to your statements?

Bob
REsCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 15:45   #30

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

"Fair share." I recall a statement by one of the founding fathers (USA) that went something like, "by whose foot shall we measure the last." Fair, and even share are weasel words that mean many different things to different individuals. My own guess is that boater, in particular cruisers, tend to be individuals, not collectivists or creatures designed by a committee, also called bureaucracies.

Tags
enc, purchase