Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2020, 18:49   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Proud new Prout 35 owner!

Congratulations!

Prouts are super cool!

I wish you many great adventures and going to all those places you have always dreamt of visiting!

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 20:18   #17

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianopraze View Post
mikedefieslife and sailor man_Ed thank you so much.

Will look into all those things. Plan on going LiFePO4 and rewiring whole boat. If leave batters in same general area will rebuild whole area so totally waterproof. Maybe adding some more Solar where the dingy davits are on the back.

Will try to find layout of original running of the lines and redo those.

There are plastic watertight ... windows/plugs... (inspection ports?) under the left and right bilge areas. They were very tight and I could not open them. Forgive my total ignorance here. Will get the surveyor involved there and pass along those comments to make sure I get those fixed right. Don't even know what a nacelle is. Lots to learn.

When researching this boat the steering was always the most common problem in the threads. I tried to get them in the video, looks like they have all been redone. You can see some of the back at 6:00 in the video and the inside part at 10:20. I think it will get me to Green Cove Springs. Might redo them again. Will let inspector advise. The steering felt nice and turned smoothly all the way left and right.

Plan on replacing all tanks for gas and water. Installing water maker.

Might go all electric with the engine eventually. Not sure. Love that Suzuki. The way the engine has been replaced would make this very easy to install an electric engine there. Or might look for way to install both. Will ask some engineers. like idea of having both. The area around the engine feels like it's been replaced and not as strong. Might cut it back, strengthen it and put electric and gas side by side. Also get a generator eventually. Have redundancy in all areas of power.

Any ideas and thoughts very welcome.
Try not to load up the stern. Yours should be sitting higher than mine as the outboard is a lot lighter than the diesel and drive leg combo (200kg), but the fine canoe like sterns don't have that much buoyancy.

The plastic inspection ports you found in the bilge are where the water tanks are. These run for 1/2 the length of the boat. Actually there are no water tanks as such, they are built in as a part of the hull. I've left mine. Some people fit plastic bladders instead (big job).

The buoyancy chambers, crash compartments or whatever you want to call them are in each of the corners of the boat. About 1m (3ft) high, and 5ft long. Check that they are there, and that they are sealed. That there is no water or soggy foam in them. Pay particular attention to the ones at the bow. Some Prout 35s had about 200kg of lead ballast in there.

The nacelle is the centre section in the saloon. The bit that hangs down in the centre of the boat. Some boats that have has a leaking hatch or sail locker has had this fill with water. There are mini bulkheads in between, but leads all the way from the engine compartment to the sail and anchor lockers.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 04:19   #18

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

They are well built. May I suggest
1 Joining the Owners' Association PROUT OWNERS ASSOCIATION
2 Both of you will enjoy and be more competent after getting some instruction on sailing and safety on cats, so that either can sail if the other is ill. Your insurance company will appreciate the certificates.
John
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 05:55   #19

Boat: C&C 37

there is an active and well informed Prout Owners association on Facebook. it's the only reason I am on facebook.
Old 27-07-2020, 05:57   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnn33 View Post
They are well built. May I suggest
1 Joining the Owners' Association PROUT OWNERS ASSOCIATION
2 Both of you will enjoy and be more competent after getting some instruction on sailing and safety on cats, so that either can sail if the other is ill. Your insurance company will appreciate the certificates.
John
Don't bother. It's basically been dead a long time. Look at the frequency and age of the posts on its forum. Better to join the Prout Owners Facebook group instead. It is vert much alive and active.
Old 27-07-2020, 13:16   #21

Thank you all, will address all the issues listed above when I get it to Marina. Much appreciation for letting me know what to look for.

Joined the FB group.

Thanks!
pianopraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 14:24   #22

Boat: 2003 PDQ 36 Capella

Congrats Pianopraze! Your profile says Kentucky so I was surprised to read Green Cove Springs and St. Johns River, which is in my backyard. I think your idea about learning on the St. Johns is a good one. We are in St. Augustine and often sail out the Inlet. Or if the inlets too rough, we sail the Intracoastal. Our sailboat was in a marina not far from Green Cove when we bought it. We sailed it up the St. Johns, through the inlet at Mayport and down to St. Augustine about 3 yrs ago. So if you want another helping hand (or two) on board once you’re down this way, Just get in touch.
sjm823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 16:36   #23

Absolutely! Have to get loan check from the bank. Get back to Florida, exchange for the title. Then go bringt her up the ICW. Put her on the hard in Green Cove Springs. Then have baby. Then refit. Then learn to sail... lol.

It's a hard thing buying a boat in Florida and living in Kentucky. Especially when the wife is about to pop! Will be probably start refit in November (due date for baby Nov 1st) and December/January (hopefully) before we get her back on the water. Wife gets 4 months maternity leave. I will PM you when we get closer to that point. I used to live in Titusville. But we absolutely fell in love with St. Augustine.
Old 30-07-2020, 12:42   #24

Anyone know how tall the mast is on the Prout 35? Assuming it was never changed?

I need to know to go through canals from west Florida to east Florida through Lake Okeechobee and up the ICW.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 30-07-2020, 12:47   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Anyone know how tall the mast is on the Prout 35? Assuming it was never changed?

I need to know to go through canals from west Florida to east Florida through Lake Okeechobee and up the ICW.

Thanks,
Richard
the snowgoose 37(not elite model) mast is 38 ft,so i would guess a bit shorter
best bet is to ask on the face book group,quite a few members with 35's there.
link here
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1690914667837316/
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 12:52   #26

Quote:

Thanks,
Richard
You won't find rig dimensions anywhere for the 35. Most sailmakers don't have the sail dimensions either even if they claim to beforehand. That being said. I've not seen another 35 with the same Kemp mast. Kemp were bought by Selden in the end. Selden have the dimensions for some Prouts but not the 35 which was built in the 70s.

I measured mine when I had my rigging replaced in Spain. It was roughly 10.5-11m (I forgot to write it down). Then there is about 1m to the deck, and the deck is about 1m to the water. Add your antenna and you need about 14m clearance.

EDIT: Watched your video again. Your mast is different to mine. yours looks more like the ones i've seen on the 19474 Snowgoose 35. Reminds me of a Catalac. I don't know if it's still made by Kemp. It's not going to be any taller though.
Old 30-07-2020, 13:27   #27

14m= 45ft 11 in

Thanks!

I think I was told there is a low clearance at one spot. They said the monos they roll over to the right with floats if they are too tall but they can't do that with cats.

Atoll, I'm on the FB group I will ask there too. Thank you.
Old 30-07-2020, 15:41   #28
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
14m= 45ft 11 in

Thanks!

I think I was told there is a low clearance at one spot. They said the monos they roll over to the right with floats if they are too tall but they can't do that with cats.

Atoll, I'm on the FB group I will ask there too. Thank you.

49’ at the railroad bridge, depending on how high the lake is.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 16:34   #29

Yeah, that's the one I'm worried about smj.
Old 09-08-2020, 02:49   #30

Boat: Prout 34

Congrats on the Snowgoose. You’ll fit under that bridge, I’ve gone under it in a 74’ Snowgoose. Enjoy your cruise!
hurricanehole is offline   Reply With Quote