Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2021, 11:36   #16

Boat: CLC Skerry
Re: Pros and Cons of Ketch?

A properly trimmed ketch will sail for miles without touching the helm or using power for an autopilot. If you want to bash to weather at full speed, get a sloop and some big batteries. Otherwise, its jib, jigger, and awning for me.
rhubstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 11:39   #17

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

I bought a 37-foot ketch, last fall. Hope to get her in the water this spring.

So I can't speak to sailing her, from personal experience, yet.

But the process of packing up and storing the sails, for the winter, was far easier than I would have expected. Even the main is well within the capacity of someone who's not as young as he used to be to haul around.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 11:51   #18

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
My dream boat... but would switch to aluminum masts..
Mind I'd settle for a nice 36 if pushed..

Friend of mine has a Transworld 41 (w/aluminum masts), which is very similar to the CL42. Biggest difference in the layout is the TW is a CC. Nice boat looking boat w/a ton of exterior teak though.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 12:06   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

when I was building my boat, got to know a guy that had a Cheoy Lee 36 ketch, that was one sweet boat....seem to recall it had wooden masts, but my memory is fuzzy.....but seem to remember the guy going up the mast to varnish it...had at one time considered putting wood masts on my Roberts......being as that I was broke..but seeing this guy having to varnish his masts put the kibosh on that idea...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 12:35   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Pros and Cons of Ketch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
when I was building my boat, got to know a guy that had a Cheoy Lee 36 ketch, that was one sweet boat....seem to recall it had wooden masts, but my memory is fuzzy.....but seem to remember the guy going up the mast to varnish it...had at one time considered putting wood masts on my Roberts......being as that I was broke..but seeing this guy having to varnish his masts put the kibosh on that idea...
The whole range had timber masts.. the one failing as all that weight effected stability a bit.. hence my choice to convert to ally masts.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 13:10   #21
Marine Service Provider

I actually researched a " how to" paper on how to build your own wooden mast and seriously considered it for a while...for my R38...I didn't have 2c to scratch together back then, but found a source for aluminum masts up north, can't remember where anymore...a salvage yard of some kind....they delivered everything...both masts, booms, spreaders, all the bits and pieces.....for less than what I could build a wooden one for....thankfully !!
There is a " sailor's exchange" in St. Augustine and off course, "Sailorman" in Ft. Lauderdale, both whom have a profusion of masts should you decide to go that route.
Old 23-03-2021, 13:17   #22

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The whole range had timber masts.. the one failing as all that weight effected stability a bit.. hence my choice to convert to ally masts.
What might a such mast weight? Was it solid timber? And what's the weight of alloy substite. The reason I'm asking I don't have much experience lifting different kind of masts but my own. Wooden hollow section made after scantlings from Skene's, and I can lift the main mast alone if I have to, not that I'd do that if there's around someone to lend a hand.. The mizzen is easy for one man to heave.
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 13:27   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Pros and Cons of Ketch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
What might a such mast weight? Was it solid timber? And what's the weight of alloy substite. The reason I'm asking I don't have much experience lifting different kind of masts but my own. Wooden hollow section made after scantlings from Skene's, and I can lift the main mast alone if I have to, not that I'd do that if there's around someone to lend a hand.. The mizzen is easy for one man to heave.
All I know is they were Sitka Spruce.. hollow or solid I know not just going on an old review of the Clipper 42 and his comments.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 13:40   #24

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
The main advantage of a ketch for me is smaller sails and more options but I am talking slightly bigger ketches
+1
As I have said on this forum before, as a single handed sailor I find it a catch rig very easy to sail and enjoy the large number of options for sailing.

Al, S/V Finlandia
svfinlandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 13:49   #25
Marine Service Provider

let me illustrate....

the main main mast on my R38 was 40'....the mizzen was 30', both aluminum.

I don't remember the mast width, depth or thickness...but probably 3/16" thick...?? or thereabouts...your basic 40' stick...

Nonetheless, when they arrived, I could pick them up by hand, as there was nothing on them. the 40 footer was heavy, but I could lift it.......
I googled mast weights, and by my reckoning, around 5.0lbs/ft....so 40x5=200 lbs...give or take....

Sometime later, prior to launching, the mast had all the shrouds, stays, turnbuckles, wiring, spreaders, etc, fitted and it took 3 men to lift and move it....my guess would be at least double.....400 lbs....maybe more.....I had to move it from next to a shed, then a crane took over...
Old 23-03-2021, 13:57   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfinlandia View Post
+1
As I have said on this forum before, as a single handed sailor I find it a catch rig very easy to sail and enjoy the large number of options for sailing.
And on a ketch you can put up the linens over the triatic stay to dry. Try that with a sloop!
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 17:34   #27

In a 8 foot chop and high a high wind, I sailed a close reached course with a reefed mizzen only. My speed was slow, but the waves bashing my bow acted to balance the mizzen. All night, with no one steering, she sailed herself without varying off course. I loved the sea kindliness of my 44 foot Pearson Countess ketch.
dick sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 17:49   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1991 View Post
I've seen a boat online, a 38ft Bruce Roberts Ketch. I've only ever sailed in a cutter or a sloop.

Seems to me to be more work, more to go wrong, more cost but is there an upside for offshore sailing?
Less heeling. more chances for awnings.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 17:58   #29

Used to have a 51 foot Formosa Ketch. Brilliant sail. I actually very rarely ever needed the main sail as she was very fast and stable with just the 130% Genoa and the Mizzen. I had in-boom furlers and she was a breeze to sail. I also owned sloops and enjoyed them too but for ocean voyages I would prefer a ketch because the individual sails are easier to handle and the boat runs more balanced.
Now I own a 42 foot Trimaran though. Also ha it´s merits.
pingpong1384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2021, 17:59   #30

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

Everyone is missing the real point - they are both fine in their own way ( having owned both) .
1 - look at the condition - a 'ready' ketch is a. Million times better than a 'ok' cutter ( or visa versa )
2- does she talk to you ? One of the best things I ever read on this forum years ago , was to spend some time in her BEFORE you buy - if it's the right boat you will know !

I love our ketch , but never considered one before Sumurun- it was sloop or cutter all the way. Didn't matter once we saw her , we wouldn't trade her for anything- even with all the extra rigging, etc.
Svsumurun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ketch