Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2022, 06:45   #31

Re: Problems on survey and acceptance day of vessel with The Moorings

Sailor Med is right. Emotions run deep when buying a sailboat you really want, and the seller knows it. After you pay, you’ll be cut adrift. Good luck to you.
Giro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2022, 06:54   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscis View Post
Good morning,

The vessel should have installed an Axiom 9 chart plotter according sales agreement. There was no plotter installed at all.

Because of the missing plotter, the surveyor said the funcionality of most gauges could not be checked and, the functionality of the autopilot could not be checked...
I would not accept the vessel until all agreed upon conditions are met.
CaptJimFrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2022, 07:14   #33

I would take a look at the bigger picture if this is the boat you want. A Axiom chart plotter is around a $1000 for the basic Axiom 9.
The boat is a 2017 and most likely all the instruments work. If some don’t you are out a few bucks. Which I doubt.
I would overlook the chart plotter and buy the boat
if the big ticket items check out. Like the engine.

My current boat a Catalina 36 Markll came with a broken chart plotter and some chain plate issues. The chain plate issues I didn’t know about and I’m still happy with my purchase.
Goodxcharly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2022, 07:21   #34

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

If you really want that particular boat, immediately contact the broker and demand that the missing equipment be replaced or that an amount suitable for purchase, importation costs, taxes and labor to be installed be deducted from the purchase price.
Never underestimate greed, the broker may assume you don't care unless you let them know loud and clear.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2022, 07:42   #35

I’m not qualified to comment on the boat.

But I buy a lot of real estate. All of which has a similar purchase process.

My advice. No, do not accept the boat until it is in the condition promised. Do not accept the boat until the survey can be completed to your satisfaction.

Yes, there is a risk that another boat will be hard to find. Yes, there is a risk that your build up of equipment that is in storage will cost you.

But there is a greater risk that you actually not get the boat you want. Then you’ll have a headache if pretty magnificent proportions.

Much better to have them fix while you sit in the purchase price than have you fix on your own, in my opinion.

In real estate it’s often better to take a discounted price rather than let seller fix because sellers fix things poorly. But with a competent surveyor I think you should let seller fix.

If you are willing to do it yourself, get a quote on fixing, double or triple it, and ask for a reduction in price.

Just my thoughts.
stevelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2022, 09:19   #36
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Good morning,

i would need some advice from you guys on how to proceed...

Signed a purchase contract in March on a 2017 Leopard 40 on the Seychelles. End of charter was August, phase out from September on. Because of ongoing works and some delays (reason not known to me), survey was finished only yesterday! Day of acceptance of vessel has been delayed to Friday 28th October. That is tomorrow....

I received finished survey report incl. seatrail yesterday, October 26.

The vessel should have installed an Axiom 9 chart plotter according sales agreement. There was no plotter installed at all.

Because of the missing plotter, the surveyor said the funcionality of most gauges could not be checked and, the functionality of the autopilot could not be checked...

It was said that all phase out works and repairs have been finished last friday...

I do not understand how they can offer a vessel for a survey/seatrail without the chart plotter, needed to check some of the installed equipment. Well, cannot change that now.

But how would you guys proceed now? Accept the vessel and hoping they will install a functional chart plotter and hoping all system will be working that could not been checked?

Try to extend "Day of acceptance of vessel" to give Surveyor the chance to do another check of the missing equipment?

I am a little bit confused on how to proceed now.

I mentioned all the findings to the broker, waiting to get repsonse ...

Thanks! John
Your behind the 8-ball from the beginning having to deal with an organization in another country thousands of miles away on the other side of the world. Have you actually visited this boat and been aboard?

The pricing of boats on the other side of the world are discounted and alluring for good reasons...your experiencing just one of them, so far.

Your options are:

1. Back out of the deal now.

2. Ask for a reduction in the negotiated price equal or better than the cost to replace what is missing and whatever expenses you are incurring. DO NOT PAY ANYTHING ELSE.

3. Just hang in there and wait for the broker to do everything he agreed to.

Thank you for sharing your experience with this forum. Please follow-up on how everything works out.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
Old 31-10-2022, 09:53   #37

Hold back $10,000 until chart plotter installed “and” that you and surveyor are satisfied including a final sea trial.
windcastle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2022, 09:57   #38

Quote:
Good morning,

Signed a purchase contract in March on a 2017 Leopard 40 on the Seychelles. End of charter was August, phase out from September on. Because of ongoing works and some delays (reason not known to me), survey was finished only yesterday! Day of acceptance of vessel has been delayed to Friday 28th October. That is tomorrow....

It was said that all phase out works and repairs have been finished last friday...

I do not understand how they can offer a vessel for a survey/seatrail without the chart plotter, needed to check some of the installed equipment. Well, cannot change that now.

But how would you guys proceed now? Accept the vessel and hoping they will install a functional chart plotter and hoping all system will be working that could not been checked?

Try to extend "Day of acceptance of vessel" to give Surveyor the chance to do another check of the missing equipment?

Thanks!

John
Go through with the sale agreeing to with hold 20k until all is fitted and working with the condition if not completed in 1 month that you keep all the money and fix yourself
RobEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2022, 12:44   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Venezia 42
Send a message via Skype™ to littleships

Quote:
Good morning,

Thanks!

John
I am a broker. Moorings are normally good guys. But they have a job to do. Ask for an extension of time as you only got the survey back yesterday. Who is the broker? Ikraam out of Cape Town. If you have any issue get hold of Patrick who is the boss in Florida. In fact I would get hold of him anyway. Careful what your contract reads with regards to aceptance . Ours reads that if you do not accept by the acceptance date it is AUTOMATICALLY A REJECTION. Some contracts read that it is automatically ACCEPTANCE. So you need to formally request an extension of time before the acceptance date. This kicks the ball down the road. They may try to pressure you. don;t let them. Moorings are up to a YEAR behind phase outs simply because of bottle necks and back logs and difficulty of getting stuff. You are in the Indian Ocean islands FFS going to take forever. THat you have already had stuff delivered there puts you on your back foot for negotiating.. they know they have you by the cleats. Email the broker and copy Patrick the boss.
littleships is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2022, 15:43   #40

Boat: Leopard 38 Cat "Alesto 2"

You need to go there yourself and make your own list of problems.
leehaefele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2022, 15:57   #41

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

John I bought my leopard from moorings in the Seychelles and I flew there for the survey and met the manager of the branch. I sat with him with a list of things to fix and everything on the list was fixed.
I did not deal with the broker in the UK on these things just the manager.
We hauled out for the final part of the survey at my cost. I was happy with the boat and told the manager this and he said they would re bottom coat the vessel at their cost as the boat was out.

2 months later I flew to Seychelles to collect the boat and all was sorted and I spent some time with the manager who was great. They even fulled the water and diesel tanks at their cost when it was time to leave.

My advice chat direct to the manager in the Seychelles.

Rgards
MikeF
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2022, 16:06   #42

John also don’t get put off on the Seychelles, you have certainly some of the best cruising in the world around Seychelles and then to Mayotte down to Madagascar, Tanzania, Mozambique then down to Cape Town and then the choice is yours off to the med or across the Atlantic.

We loved our time out there and East Africa spoilt us. Certainly better than the pricey Caribbean where we currently are but hope to leave soon.
Old 01-11-2022, 04:30   #43

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFergie View Post
John also don’t get put off on the Seychelles, you have certainly some of the best cruising in the world around Seychelles and then to Mayotte down to Madagascar, Tanzania, Mozambique then down to Cape Town and then the choice is yours off to the med or across the Atlantic.

We loved our time out there and East Africa spoilt us. Certainly better than the pricey Caribbean where we currently are but hope to leave soon.
Thanks Mike!

We will be heading in the opposite direction, going via Maledives to SE Asia. For the next couple of years, we are planning to stay in Thailand. Make some border runs to Malaysia, maybe Indonesia.

Lots of great diving spots there for a livetime...

John
Old 01-11-2022, 04:44   #44

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Thanks for all your replies!

As mentioned before, we have settled on an addendum to the purchase contract and the conditional aggrement of the vessel. The Moorings accepted to repair/replace all findings of the survey, which i think was very fair...

Timeframe between the handout of the survey and acceptance of the vessel was very short and i did not know if such a conditional aggrement was possible at all.

I am feeling very well with this solution and i am following the repair process, which shows that some issues have been addressed already (e.g. installed new B20 Yanmar panels that were broken, as mentioned in another post here in the forum).

I am receiving great support from Vincent Leon, my Surveyor on the Seychelles, the Base manager on Eden Island and the Moorings brokerage offering me very good assitance for the exportation and handover of the vessel in a few days...

Thanks again!

John
Old 01-11-2022, 05:10   #45

Great news John. Actually we might see you that side. We bought a cat in Thailand at the end of last month and are rapping up our time in the Caribbean and will fly out to the new boat at the end of November. Lots of work to be done there but like you we hope to spend a few years out that way [emoji4]

Tags
mooring, survey