Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2023, 03:29   #1

Outremer 45(48 ft)

Hi everyone.
I am very close to make a decision to buy an Outremer 45, used, probably 2017 and up.
Does anyone here own this type of boat ?
Any advise regarding things I need to watch for?
Is there any structural weaknesses I need to be aware of?
Many thanks.
alsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2023, 07:17   #2

Re: Outremer 45(48 ft)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsail View Post
Hi everyone.
I am very close to make a decision to buy an Outremer 45, used, probably 2017 and up.
Does anyone here own this type of boat ?
Any advise regarding things I need to watch for?
Is there any structural weaknesses I need to be aware of?
Many thanks.
I don't have this boat, but looked at a few Outremer cats over the years, and I think you are making a great choice! The only thing, beyond get a comprehensive survey and sea trial completed, it make sure you are cool with the accommodations and storage space for your particular mission with the boat. They perform amazingly well and easily sailed short handed, but don't like to carry a lot of payload. So as long as you and whoever you are sailing with are cool with being conscientious on what you bring aboard, you're going to love it. All stuff I'm sure you are well aware of.

Good luck! And post pics when she's yours!
Kinkircating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2023, 18:58   #3

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

Carrying capacity of the 45 is 2400 Kg so when you add people fuel water second anchor, decent dinghy, outboard solar panels and arch and god forbid a clothes washer - you are already needing to redo the boot stripe.

For comparison :
Leopard 38 - carrying capacity 2660kg
Leopard 44 - carrying capacity 4565kg
Outremer 5X (59ft) - carrying capacity 5200Kg

What was the carrying capacity of your Amel? You might have to leave some stuff behind
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2023, 20:30   #4

Thank you.
Old 29-09-2023, 21:58   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
Carrying capacity of the 45 is 2400 Kg so when you add people fuel water second anchor, decent dinghy, outboard solar panels and arch and god forbid a clothes washer - you are already needing to redo the boot stripe.

For comparison :
Leopard 38 - carrying capacity 2660kg
Leopard 44 - carrying capacity 4565kg
Outremer 5X (59ft) - carrying capacity 5200Kg

What was the carrying capacity of your Amel? You might have to leave some stuff behind
My post was more.about known issues , things to be aware of . My decision to buy an O45 is pretty straightforward. Leopard 44 might carry 4 t but the balsa core bellow waterline and the looks of it stopped.it to make the short list. There is nothing I would consider but a sleek, good looking cat, with long nets and narrow hulls and daggerboards, without the bulges or the shelves under bridgedeck in order to create more beds . There are plenty of people cruising in O45, even the old.model.has been to.Antarctica, surely those people didn't just pack a light bag, 2 singles and shorts.
Old 29-09-2023, 22:33   #6

The Outremer fell off my list because of the exposed position of the helm. A night watch in cold, rainy weather must feel very long.

My wife also insists on good sun protection at a helm due to some battles with sun cancer.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2023, 07:45   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
The Outremer fell off my list because of the exposed position of the helm. A night watch in cold, rainy weather must feel very long.

My wife also insists on good sun protection at a helm due to some battles with sun cancer.
Yeah, the O45 was just a non-starter for me as it's so tiny. The Outremer 51, and 59 also fell off my list once the wife got aboard and gave me the "you can't be serious" look. Personally I really like them (minus the exposed helm and polyester construction), and could live with the total lack of storage and carrying capacity, but it's a partnership most important that the wife is happy! The 55 is the sweet spot in their range in my opinion, and the new 52 is great as well.

There's nothing at all wrong with the O45(48), just need to be crystal clear of what the compromises you'll be making are. If you haven't yet, I'd highly reccomend spending a week aboard one with the size of crew you expect to have to really get a feel for it.

Cheers and good luck!
Kinkircating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2023, 08:42   #8

I also really like the 52 - but haven’t set foot on one. The versa helm, interior desk for night watches and less claustrophobic feel are a huge improvement to the 45. I would also look at the HH 44 “performance” version with dagger boards and the aluminum Portofino 52.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinkircating View Post
Yeah, the O45 was just a non-starter for me as it's so tiny. The Outremer 51, and 59 also fell off my list once the wife got aboard and gave me the "you can't be serious" look. Personally I really like them (minus the exposed helm and polyester construction), and could live with the total lack of storage and carrying capacity, but it's a partnership most important that the wife is happy! The 55 is the sweet spot in their range in my opinion, and the new 52 is great as well.

There's nothing at all wrong with the O45(48), just need to be crystal clear of what the compromises you'll be making are. If you haven't yet, I'd highly reccomend spending a week aboard one with the size of crew you expect to have to really get a feel for it.

Cheers and good luck!
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2023, 16:25   #9

For us the space on O45 is more than enough, a big boat comes with a big price, more maintainance and associated problems. Different boats for different people, as far as I am concerned, AC and other home like luxuries have no place in a cruising environment. I want to go to the pacific in a simple easy to manage and maintain boat . O45 is the perfect boat for us. I sa w a 51 and it's too big for.my needs. That doesn't mean they are not good boats or suitable for other people.
Old 30-09-2023, 17:25   #10
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
For us the space on O45 is more than enough, a big boat comes with a big price, more maintainance and associated problems. Different boats for different people, as far as I am concerned, AC and other home like luxuries have no place in a cruising environment. I want to go to the pacific in a simple easy to manage and maintain boat . O45 is the perfect boat for us. I sa w a 51 and it's too big for.my needs. That doesn't mean they are not good boats or suitable for other people.

We are on the same page, but for us the O45 is to much boat and to much money for just my wife and I and the occasional guests. Don’t get me wrong, I love the O45 but after 31 years of owning catamarans we gravitate towards simpler smaller cats. Doesn’t mean that the O45 isn’t the perfect boat for you as your priorities may be different than ours or Kinkircatings.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2023, 17:31   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
We are on the same page, but for us the O45 is to much boat and to much money for just my wife and I and the occasional guests. Don’t get me wrong, I love the O45 but after 31 years of owning catamarans we gravitate towards simpler smaller cats. Doesn’t mean that the O45 isn’t the perfect boat for you as your priorities may be different than ours or Kinkircatings.
Absolutely. What sort of catamaran had/have/would have if you don't mind me asking?
Old 30-09-2023, 19:53   #12
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Absolutely. What sort of catamaran had/have/would have if you don't mind me asking?

We currently own a TRT1200 GT
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2023, 23:51   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Yeah, the O45 was just a non-starter for me as it's so tiny.
Couple of friends just spent two years on theirs in the Med and crossing the Atlantic and then in the carribean. depends on whether you want to own a sailing boat or an apartment with sails I suppose.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 02:03   #14

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Yeah, the O45 was just a non-starter for me as it's so tiny.

Asking the other way what cat do you own?
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 05:09   #15

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
Asking the other way what cat do you own?
He has a Balance 526. Performance and comfort

Tags
outremer