Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2019, 16:49   #1

Opinions on Gemini 105 Catamaran?

Hey everyone,

Been looking into a few different cats since my last post, quite a few members encouraged me to go larger however I've actually looked at smaller since then!

I just think for the sailing I'd be able to do with it in the next few years, It would be better suited. Let me know what you think, I'd be keeping it in a UK marina and not going very far for the first few years. I've been told by a few to buy the yacht that would suit me now, not in 5 years time.

Anyway, I've been looking at Geminis. In particular the Gemini 105. Has anyone owned one or had any experience with them?

Kind Regards,
Scott
ScottSpooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 18:05   #2

Re: Opinions on Gemini 105 Catamaran?

We had the 3400 model (slightly older version) and lived on it for 10yrs.

Really a great option:
- Fits in standard slips.
- Can be set on the bottom if in tidal mud flats.
- You can use the boards for greater performance or just set them at a moderate level and keep it simple.

Big enough for a couple longer term (we converted one of the cabins into a pantry) or for a small family for shorter trips.

Simple systems all for a lot of DIY work.

Biggest issue is not too may in Europe but could get one shipped over for around $12-15k.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 21:55   #3

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

105Mc owner checking in.........

Going on, almost, six years now...... no regrets. Sure, I'd like to have an Antares 44, but I've saved about 750K on the purchase price.

You can also go where other boats fear.......... Chart shows 3 feet, lift her skirt and sail right on through.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 13:00   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSpooner View Post
Hey everyone,

Been looking into a few different cats since my last post, quite a few members encouraged me to go larger however I've actually looked at smaller since then!

I just think for the sailing I'd be able to do with it in the next few years, It would be better suited. Let me know what you think, I'd be keeping it in a UK marina and not going very far for the first few years. I've been told by a few to buy the yacht that would suit me now, not in 5 years time.

Anyway, I've been looking at Geminis. In particular the Gemini 105. Has anyone owned one or had any experience with them?

Kind Regards,
Scott
I have a bigger cat and one big advantage of the Gemini that I occasionally am a bit jealous of is the ability to fit in a standard slip and get picked up by a standard lift. It's definitely not as big or heavily built as a larger cat, but it sounds like that's not something you need now so why pay for it now, plus it's depreciation plus the slip fees? Also maybe not as relevant for you in Europe but here in the Chesapeake there are enough Geminis around that resale is pretty easy and their value is easy to figure out from comp sales both on the purchase and resell. So for what it's worth, while I don't own one and might be expected to "look down on them" I think they're a great boat for many situations and from what you've mentioned yours might be one of them.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 13:44   #5
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I'm a big believer in buying what you can use now. Your opinion of what you need for the future may change. A Gemini 105 Mc will not be hard to sell. My PDQ was sold before the listing came out!

(I had a PDQ 32--very similar, and down sized a few years ago because I wanted something smaller. You never know what the future will hold. Some people buy a boat with the intention of keeping it for 25 years, but I think you will find most people trade every 6-12 years, when their needs or interests change.)

Tags
catamaran, gemini, gemini 105