Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2022, 07:00   #1

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version
On passage, what speed do you decide to turn on an engine?

curious what speed you are willing to put along at without the iron wind assist. With most catamarans having two engines and two fuel tanks we may be willing to motor sail a bit sooner than our mono hull brothers. I know we are willing to turn on one at a time to split the hours and fuel consumption.

Assume there are no weather threats or the like forcing you to speed up.

Me. I am fine in the 4 knot range. Seeing SOG in the 3s makes me reach for the ignition.
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2022, 07:09   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: On passage, what speed do you decide to turn on an engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahbrown View Post
Me. I am fine in the 4 knot range. Seeing SOG in the 3s makes me reach for the ignition.
I think we are the same flat calm sailing at 4 knots is fine with us, so long as we aren't aiming at a tidal gate and we have quite a few of them that can really spoil your day if you miss them. Been close a few times.

If we are doing 3 knots under white sails and the wind is playing ball, the Assm makes a huge difference in light winds giving us 5 knots. Doesn't come out often but if its calm so I do all the fore deck work solo without risk its worth putting up for a trip of a couple of hours or more.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2022, 07:38   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: On passage, what speed do you decide to turn on an engine?

4kts is okay but, if it drops to <3kts I'll hit the starter or.. put on the Speedo's and reach for the sun oil..
My boat..
Deliveries is different..

You can't beat a people up for 75yrs+ and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient.. and Politicians NEVER bite the hand that feeds their ambitions.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2022, 07:52   #4
rbk

Boat: T37

Downwind as things start slowing to 4-5knts and stable winds, spin comes out and as noted above makes a big difference. With spin up and we start seeing 3knts or less (spin usually starting to luff due to variable winds) then we fire the engine, no sails.
We generally reserve motor-sailing for upwind or short hops (around 5nm) in light or high winds. If we’re motoring and have a limited outflow of wind on a short hop I’ll keep the motor running and throw up some sail and reduce rpm. In higher winds (30+) beating to windward we’ll throw up a reefed sail plan to reduce tacks, point higher and make anchor sooner.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2022, 08:12   #5

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Depends on whether I have a schedule to keep and how aggravating the crew is going to be about it.

Without a schedule I’ll sail until it’s dead calm or the crew kicks up a ruckus.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2022, 08:17   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

I don't have a specific speed cut off. Very much depends on whether I have a schedule, and also sea conditions. I'm happy to ghost along at even 1 knot if I have plenty of time, and the seas aren't annoying.

But if I have to get to an anchorage before a certain time (usually nightfall), or seas are making life hard for crew and boat, then the iron genny comes on.
Old 28-11-2022, 08:31   #7

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I don't have a specific speed cut off. Very much depends on whether I have a schedule, and also sea conditions. I'm happy to ghost along at even 1 knot if I have plenty of time, and the seas aren't annoying.

But if I have to get to an anchorage before a certain time (usually nightfall), or seas are making life hard for crew and boat, then the iron genny comes on.
I agree with Mike.
When I am out sailing, even on a passage, I am rarely in a hurry.

Al, S/V Finlandia
svfinlandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2022, 12:43   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

^^^^^

Pretty much as Mike does. However, rarely, even on the open ocean (as in traveling from OZ to New Caledonia), if i can just get the boat moving at all, even 1/2 knot, it is sort of fun to try to make progress in any direction at all. [It doesn't really matter, progress is so slow, and usually the high center will move off and the wind come back soon.] The puffs don't even show on the water, but by being a crafty witch, I can sometimes do it. Requires a very smooth sea, and it is not something I always like to do. Jim enjoys playing light air warlock more than I do. I think it is a luxury retired people have that regularly employed folks do not.

Some of the times we've been becalmed have been interesting. One sees different things. Like Boatie, above, we've gone for a swim in water about a mile deep. But I kept tethered to the boat, in case a puff should come along(!)

When running away from a cyclone in our previous boat, we had enough wind to be doing 149.5 n. mi./day, and that was enough to gain on it and get to shelter, only turned the engine on to get to the Customs dock.

We try to avoid situations where we feel forced to motor, and accept it when it happens, depending on where/when we want to be.

Ann
Old 21-11-2022, 12:50   #9

Boat: Morgan 382

When my windvane is unable to steer. About 2kts or so. Sometimes I will just wait.
Old 21-11-2022, 13:43   #10
UYA

Boat: Moody 42

Mostly when the sails start banging which is a function of waves and wind:
=> when wind is not strong enough to compensate for wave movement.
UYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2022, 15:00   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

I'm with Mike OReilly.

That said - a lot depends on how you are tracking.

> Seeing SOG in the 3s
SOG of 3 kts downwind and making your waypoint is OK.
SOG of 3 kts when tacking upwind to make a waypoint can be less than 1kt made good (it may even mean losing ground with an adverse current!)
(i.e. VMC is more relevant than SOG)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2022, 16:43   #12

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

If I have a anchorage in mind, and a place I am unfamiliar with, or manoeuvring may be problem. I have a spread sheet that helps me work out the when to start the engine to arrive at optimal time. That and pointing into wind on the least favourable tac if going upwind.
Old 21-11-2022, 17:04   #13

Pretty much what Mike O'Reilly said, with the addition that it also depends on the length of the passage. On a long passage (>10 days) if we think motoring will get us to a better weather system then we might turn the engine on sooner. Conversely, if a full day of motoring (about half our capacity) is just going to leave us sitting still 100 miles down the track then we probably just wait where we are.
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2022, 20:56   #14

Boat: Volkscruiser

NahBrown plenty of my clients never seem to turn their engines of. An unfurled headsail to keep the boat steady and the engine ticking over so they get a good average speed, and the aircon/water maker don't drain the batteries. Plus, the engines providing all that hot water for long showers.
Boatman 61 if we are sailing together, I can guarantee I will never sail slower than 4 knots. If you still insist on the speedos and coconut oil, there's going to be a rooster tail behind us as I am standing on the engine control lever!
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2022, 21:18   #15

Not sure why Boatman wears the Speedos, it is the middle of the ocean after all. Nothing quite like being 1000 miles from shore, jumping off the bow, and watching the boat slowly glide by. Catch the trailing line at the stern, pull yourself aboard, wash, rinse, repeat
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, passage