Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2020, 10:47   #196

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
Re: New Seawind Model - Announcement July 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleplay View Post
Saving would be in the tune of $30K. That's quite a chunk change...
Yeah, $27k on an 1160, and $30k on a 1260. And I believe Seawind has put together some suggested cruising itineraries, and can certainly help with export, etc. There may be some government fees associated with that as well.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 14:17   #197

Boat: 1984Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
The big hit to us was 6.25% sales tax in Texas, on the full invoice value - no limit like Florida. .
Thank goodness Texas change that law this year. Still not as good as Florida but it does top out at $18,500 now.
phlbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 15:27   #198
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
Wow, that's really really low. I know european VAT is 20%. Another somewhat of a loop hole I just recently found out was to sail the boat outside of Australia for a couple years then the GST is applied to the depreciated value. I still remember the time when there was no GST...

A little off topic but I just paid 25% import tax on a $300 manual espresso machine shipped from HK to Beijing, where I'm living at the moment. That's just hilarious...
Yep that is correct, however after 12 months the boat will be subject to import duty of 5%. The Free Trade agreement only applies to new products and once something is subjected to depreciated value for GST it no longer gets the benefit of no Duty. So you buy the boat for say lets say, $500k AUS, ship it into Aus and pay 10% GST that is $50K. Or you sail around and come into Aus 18 months later, and lets say its market valued at $400K, unlikely to be that low given the scarcity of these boats on the used market, but let's go with that), then you only pay $40K GST but you also pay $20K duty.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 17:10   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlbald View Post
Thank goodness Texas change that law this year. Still not as good as Florida but it does top out at $18,500 now.
Can you provide a source for that? Because I just used the Texas Parks and Wildlife boat tax calculator, and it shows the tax on $400k boat is $25k. The 6.25% tax rate. Florida tops out; Texas is unlimited.

Note if you dont pay it within 45 working days of sale, there is a penalty.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/form/boat-tax-calculator/
Old 03-08-2020, 18:24   #200

Boat: Corsair F-27 trimaran

Quote:
I know european VAT is 20%
Actually that's not _quite_ true. 20% is the rate in France. Other EU countries do have other rates. For example in Denmark the VAT rate is 25%. In Germany it's 19%.

Once the VAT has been paid in _any_ EU country, you are set for any other country.
jdmuys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 19:02   #201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Yep that is correct, however after 12 months the boat will be subject to import duty of 5%. The Free Trade agreement only applies to new products and once something is subjected to depreciated value for GST it no longer gets the benefit of no Duty. So you buy the boat for say lets say, $500k AUS, ship it into Aus and pay 10% GST that is $50K. Or you sail around and come into Aus 18 months later, and lets say its market valued at $400K, unlikely to be that low given the scarcity of these boats on the used market, but let's go with that), then you only pay $40K GST but you also pay $20K duty.
That is good information. Better do a pacific loop then!
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 19:06   #202

Quote:
So re: the mast, we have a square top mainsail, and the head of the sail is rigged to pull up against the top sail batten car when the halyard is tight. When you drop the sail and the halyard goes slack, the head of the main is about 4 ft behind the mast, in the stack pack. Its no issue reaching it. We generally disconnect the 2:1 halyard block every time we put the sail away, and we attach it back to the end of the main traveler for storage.

I see! Never thought of that. Probably most people are going with the square head sail these days on a cat. Removing the Halyard was always one of the most strenuous things on a trip, usually involving an ill-placed mast step and some strained calf muscles.
Old 03-08-2020, 20:25   #203
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Can you provide a source for that? Because I just used the Texas Parks and Wildlife boat tax calculator, and it shows the tax on $400k boat is $25k. The 6.25% tax rate. Florida tops out; Texas is unlimited.

Note if you dont pay it within 45 working days of sale, there is a penalty.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/pol...k-13999200.php
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:31   #204

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I just wanted to clarify some things in the posts here lately.

The 1260 is basically the same boat as the 1250. It has the same hulls and sail plan. It is not longer AFAIK. At least that is what another poster said who has one. The difference is just about all in the interior and cockpit. If it was a Lagoon it would be a 1250 S2 or an Evolution if a FP.
Taking delivery in Vietnam is just about as bad as buying a boat in China. Cruising is really frowned upon and is bureaucratic hell. Basically you would get the new boat and sail east to where? It's a good jaunt just to get to anywhere where you can cruise and China and Vietnam both claim the entire South China Sea as theirs.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:56   #205

New Seawind Model - Announcement July 10

For Aussies, taking it around SE Asia then down the east coast or take it down the west coast seem to be popular routes. Seawind seems to suggest going to thailand or the phillipines. They are making a guide of sorts.

The 1260 is not too much different from the 1250 but the top of the hull is definitely from a different moulding. The rear quarter now slopes down in one stroke making it look a lot sleeker. Considering the rear cockpit is also a new mould it wouldnt be that hard to add 10cm to the back transom surely. EDIT: seawind brochure for the 1260 does show its the same length as 1250. The after quarter above the waterline does look a lot different though, better in my opinion.

I agree its not that different from a 1250 but saying its not longer and the hull is the same is taking it too much in the other direction. Lets just agree a new 40ft design based on the 1370 would be sweet as.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:01   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I just wanted to clarify some things in the posts here lately.

The 1260 is basically the same boat as the 1250. It has the same hulls and sail plan. It is not longer AFAIK. At least that is what another poster said who has one. The difference is just about all in the interior and cockpit. If it was a Lagoon it would be a 1250 S2 or an Evolution if a FP.
Taking delivery in Vietnam is just about as bad as buying a boat in China. Cruising is really frowned upon and is bureaucratic hell. Basically you would get the new boat and sail east to where? It's a good jaunt just to get to anywhere where you can cruise and China and Vietnam both claim the entire South China Sea as theirs.
We plan for a factory delivery on our Seawind even though we are based in California. We'll then sail it WEST to Thailand. From there, we're not sure if we'll head towards the South Pacific. TBD. But, eventually, we will pay to ship the boat into the Med. Cruise there for a while, then cross the Atlantic to the Caribbean. May keep the boat in that general area, or eventually cross over into the Pacific and base it in SoCal. By then, no California sales tax will be due on it. We'll save about $50k on a factory delivery versus a US delivery, and another $60k on sales taxes.
3cdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:08   #207

Hmmm, maybe someone forgot to tell Parks and Wildlife department, who registers the boats and collects the taxes. None of the forms, or the on-line tax calculator, show a limit.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/...pplication.pdf

Old 04-08-2020, 11:16   #208
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Hmmm, maybe someone forgot to tell Parks and Wildlife department, who registers the boats and collects the taxes. None of the forms, or the on-line tax calculator, show a limit.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/...pplication.pdf

Yeah, but that means changing their website and that’s work!
Another tax break for the wealthy. I’d rather see the first $300k as being free of sales tax then kick in at the 6.25% after that.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:28   #209

Up to japan then follow the north pacific trade winds to washington state then down the west coast would be pretty adventurous. Probably not everyones idea of cruising. But I always wanted to do the inland seas of Japan, love cold weather and have a bet with friends in San Francisco about sailing through the golden gate.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:28   #210

Boat: Boatless but working on it

From Southern Vietnam you can do a short hop east to Thailand or sail south to Singapore/Malaysia. Some who sail back to Oz go west to the Phillipines before making their way SE. You cannot remain in Vietnam more than a couple of days.
We are also taking delivery there next year(COVID permitting) and will cruise Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand for a while, possibly do a run to the Andaman Islands.
There are interesting cruising grounds close by.
Alistair242 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, model, Seawind, wind