Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2023, 09:13   #1

New Lagoon 55

All, I'm a long time lurker but finally pulled the plug and joined. I've long tried to convince my wife that we should get a sailboat in a couple years and travel/live that way 6 months out of the year or so once our kids are out of the house. She has neve really loved this idea but I finally found a boat that she thought was super comfortable and would be excited to do this journey with. it's a Lagoon 55. We would order a new one so a few years out from actually being able to receive it. This fits our time table well though. Fairly big boat but our hope is to have our kids, family/friends, etc. come sail with us part time.

Anyways, I have an enormous amount to learn but one question I had was how capable this vessel was for actually sailing?. I've read a lot of posts that these large catamaran's people don't sail much but just motor around. I definitely want to sail. We mainly will be spending time going up and down the Eastern US, winter in Caribbean and eventually would like to take it through the Panama Canal, up to the San Juan Islands and the Inside Passage of Alaska. While it being years out I'd also like to take it across the Atlantic to the Mediterranean and spend some time sailing Europe.

Honestly, my biggest dream would be to actually sail around the world with it. My wife won't do this so I'd need to figure out a crew, etc. but this is at least a decade down the line anyways. Thought being my wife can fly over and meet me in cool destinations

Obviously there are better pure sailing boats out there. But being incredibly comfortable for my wife is of utmost importance to actually being able to pursue this dream.

Anything inherently wrong with my choice of boat?
Lowndes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 17:28   #2

Boat: LAGOON 400
Re: New Lagoon 55

nothing wrong with L 55. This guy/youtuber sailed L52 for a while. now he has Outremer. From what i gathered. Outremer 55 is better 10-20 % reaching and downwind, and 30-40% better with wind above beam.

you can get good idea of performance. wife may like to watch it too. Definitely not bad.

arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 08:48   #3

Boat: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowndes View Post
All, I'm a long time lurker but finally pulled the plug and joined. I've long tried to convince my wife that we should get a sailboat in a couple years and travel/live that way 6 months out of the year or so once our kids are out of the house. She has neve really loved this idea but I finally found a boat that she thought was super comfortable and would be excited to do this journey with. it's a Lagoon 55. We would order a new one so a few years out from actually being able to receive it. This fits our time table well though. Fairly big boat but our hope is to have our kids, family/friends, etc. come sail with us part time.

Anyways, I have an enormous amount to learn but one question I had was how capable this vessel was for actually sailing?. I've read a lot of posts that these large catamaran's people don't sail much but just motor around. I definitely want to sail. We mainly will be spending time going up and down the Eastern US, winter in Caribbean and eventually would like to take it through the Panama Canal, up to the San Juan Islands and the Inside Passage of Alaska. While it being years out I'd also like to take it across the Atlantic to the Mediterranean and spend some time sailing Europe.

Honestly, my biggest dream would be to actually sail around the world with it. My wife won't do this so I'd need to figure out a crew, etc. but this is at least a decade down the line anyways. Thought being my wife can fly over and meet me in cool destinations

Obviously there are better pure sailing boats out there. But being incredibly comfortable for my wife is of utmost importance to actually being able to pursue this dream.

if this is your goal.. you'll need to go super yacht route to do better.

the L55 is a beautiful boat..imo it is the pinnacle in terms of cruising catamarans right now.

i don't believe there are that many hulls in the water just yet.. but i'm pretty sure (skippered) charters are booking for croatia/greece next season.

but i'd *strongly* recommend chartering if you havent already... you'll quickly learn if you really want to single hand a boat with that much canvas and windage.

and you will be single handling her.... even when the wife/inexperienced crew are onboard

..unless you opt for the full time captain.
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 09:02   #4

Quote:
The size.

You didn't outright state, but it sounds like this is your first boat and you effectively have no boating experience.

1) You're going to need to jump through hoops to get it insured. You will more than likely be required to have a number of hours under a licensed captain.

2) A 55 ft cat for two greenhorns (one of them a reluctant crew) is going to be a very steep learning curve with a long climb. This learning curve has a high probability of either frustrating or undermining the confidence of either crewmember, but particularly the reluctant crewmember.

3) A new boat as an introduction to boating is large leap. The majority of depreciation occur in the first few years. This coupled with the high drop out rate of new boaters means you loose a lot of money when you attempt to sell after learning that either of you aren't achieving the dream they imagined it would be.

I'd start with a much smaller boat and get your feet wet first. However, this is just one mans opinion.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 09:40   #5

I am in a very similar situation as you are. Wife was reluctant, but now shes super excited after attending boat shows, talking to owners and watching some videos. However, we are both green too. Our plan is still about 5-6 years away, so we have more time than you, but we plan to start taking navigation courses, safety courses, etc. as well as charter. Then we still plan to only buy a boat in the 40-45ft range. Whether it be new or used we will determine in a few years after seen what happens with the used boat market. A 52-footer I think is too big, as some of the others mentioned. We will also have 2 older children visiting sometimes as well as parents and brothers and a 40ft FP, Lagoon or whatever can still have 3 bedrooms with 2/3 heads. Plenty of room for just a couple with occasional visitors. One thing I see a lot is, you may plan to have a lot of visitors, but it's not very often that it happens, so don't make plans based on that. Plus, we want them to be as uncomfortable as possible, so they don't stay too long
poseidon2027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 09:50   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by poseidon2027 View Post
One thing I see a lot is, you may plan to have a lot of visitors, but it's not very often that it happens, so don't make plans based on that. Plus, we want them to be as uncomfortable as possible, so they don't stay too long
This is SO true. I'm 3rd generation in this lifestyle. As a kid, my mother used have a saying "Don't buy a boat for your friends".

At first everyone you know will visit. Over time those visits wane until there are none. We prefer it this way. Our friends who boat, have boats and it's nice that they get to go back to THEIR boat at the end of the day.

We like to think of it like this. We have friends who ski, play golf, play tennis, etc. I don't feel the need to learn to play golf just to hang out with them.

If your friends and family really wanted to boat, they'd own a boat.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 09:57   #7

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Asking sailing questions before dumping a cool million into a boat is a huge red flag.

Definitely charter first. The questions will answer themselves.

I hear lots of gossip about "this boat can't sail" usually from armchair captains that have never stepped foot on one.

There are several rigging choices in both mono's, and cats, and each of them is a compromise for a specific purpose.

You want speed?

Big sails, lots of ropes, and a lightweight specially designed hull.

All of those are a recipe for NOT a good cruising boat.

You want safety? Reliable sturdy rigging? Small easy to handle sails? Strong hull made for open ocean?

It ain't going anywhere fast.

These are the choices you make when you buy a boat.

The Lagoon?

These choices were already made for you.

I'd take one on a Caribbean loop, or ARC crossing without hesitation.

I prefer Leopard for several rigging differences that make it easier for ME to sail with MY experience = not much.

No boom traveler on Leopard, that's one less thing to fail, or me to goof up.

I'm a little skeevy about the Lagoon gaff top rig, that's an added complication that I've seen fail on a buddy boat.

But he get's an extra few tenths of a knot with it.

Everything is a compromise.

Sail one of each until you feel comfortable with your choice.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 16:18   #8

Do you know if you actually like the "sailing" aspect of slowly traveling the world? The L55 is a sweet boat, but honestly I'd get a Nordhavn 55 or 60 before I'd consider a Lagoon. Like others have said, do a few extended charters on all different types of boats. You don't know what you don't know quite yet.
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 16:21   #9
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

go with the nordhavn. your wife will thank you
Old 10-01-2023, 16:26   #10

Thanks for all the replies. The catalyst of my question was several threads on here where people complained about the performance of some of these Cats. Most of my experience has been on monohulls.

And yes, I do know that I like sailing. I’ve sailed casually for quite awhile. I still consider myself a relative beginner as I’ve never done an overnight trip without somebody who is more experienced than myself. I’m always amazed at how much I have to learn, etc. as well.

Do I know if I like living/sailing for long periods of time? No, not yet. I’ve done a two week sailing trip with friends but that is my longest period on a boat.

I haven’t spent a considerable amount of time on Cats yet but certainly hope to change that in the near future.
Lowndes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 19:32   #11

Boat: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
Do you know if you actually like the "sailing" aspect of slowly traveling the world? The L55 is a sweet boat, but honestly I'd get a Nordhavn 55 or 60 before I'd consider a Lagoon. Like others have said, do a few extended charters on all different types of boats. You don't know what you don't know quite yet.

interesting..

would a nordhavn trawler even be considered a comparable to a lagoon 55 (or sixty 5)?
i'd go for the lagoon 100 times out of 100.... vs any trawler.

(but i'm allergic to cold weather and have no interest cruising anywhere i need to worry about large bears on shore)

as the wise muhammad ali once said.. "...different strokes for different folks.."
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 23:46   #12

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. The catalyst of my question was several threads on here where people complained about the performance of some of these Cats. Most of my experience has been on monohulls.

And yes, I do know that I like sailing. I’ve sailed casually for quite awhile. I still consider myself a relative beginner as I’ve never done an overnight trip without somebody who is more experienced than myself. I’m always amazed at how much I have to learn, etc. as well.

Do I know if I like living/sailing for long periods of time? No, not yet. I’ve done a two week sailing trip with friends but that is my longest period on a boat.

I haven’t spent a considerable amount of time on Cats yet but certainly hope to change that in the near future.
you will be 20-30 % faster than mono of same length, except upwind. These boats are well behaved in (very) strong weather.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 00:56   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

20% 30% WHO CARES I think cruising and racing are a different ball game I work on averages for passages sometimes quicker sometimes slower, Quick is not very comfy but slow is a lot more manageable. Then you need to look at maintenance. Are you hands on or are you paying someone are you a marina person or anchor ? As people have said Charter a lot first.
Old 11-01-2023, 16:33   #14

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version

https://www.hhcatamarans.com

HH are comfortable, WELL BUILT,(no bulkhead issues like Lagoon) boats that sail phenomenally well. As a former Lagoon owner let me tell You that I had to motor in light winds or head winds. Our friends live on an HH and are very comfortable. Fly bridges are overrated, isolated underway, and horrible when sailing in weather. I will never own a flybridge or non performance catamaran again.

I would sooner buy a power cat than a production sailing cat because at least they are built to motor.
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 04:42   #15
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Asking sailing questions before dumping a cool million into a boat is a huge red flag.

Definitely charter first. The questions will answer themselves.

I hear lots of gossip about "this boat can't sail" usually from armchair captains that have never stepped foot on one.

There are several rigging choices in both mono's, and cats, and each of them is a compromise for a specific purpose.

You want speed?

Big sails, lots of ropes, and a lightweight specially designed hull.

All of those are a recipe for NOT a good cruising boat.

You want safety? Reliable sturdy rigging? Small easy to handle sails? Strong hull made for open ocean?

It ain't going anywhere fast.

These are the choices you make when you buy a boat.

The Lagoon?

These choices were already made for you.

I'd take one on a Caribbean loop, or ARC crossing without hesitation.

I prefer Leopard for several rigging differences that make it easier for ME to sail with MY experience = not much.

No boom traveler on Leopard, that's one less thing to fail, or me to goof up.

I'm a little skeevy about the Lagoon gaff top rig, that's an added complication that I've seen fail on a buddy boat.

But he get's an extra few tenths of a knot with it.

Everything is a compromise.

Sail one of each until you feel comfortable with your choice.

You admit to not having much experience, yet you go on about what kind of catamaran someone should buy and give some skewed reasoning as why?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon