Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2023, 10:25   #31

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30
Re: New Lagoon 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Yet in the most recent ARC the Lagoon 620 came in 3 days behind one Outremer 55 and one day behind another Outremer 55, while motoring 56+ hours more than the slower Outremer and 67 hours more than the faster Outremer. Sounds like she’s make a dandy trawler.
Motoring is self reported and you have no idea how much motoring any boat has done except that It will not be less than stated.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2023, 11:09   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Motoring is self reported and you have no idea how much motoring any boat has done except that It will not be less than stated.
And if they had not motored like in true races...they'd have finished a week (most likely more later). For an example of a true ocean race, check out the Cape2Rio going on right now. No engines once you cross the line until you cross the next one 3,200 miles later.

https://cape2riorace.com/
Kinkircating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2023, 16:13   #33

Boat: S&S 40

Maybe your choice of wife ?
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2023, 16:17   #34

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

a few comments.

* Big boats have big stuff. We have a 43 ft mono, and things are already too big. Coiling a spring line is more than my wife can handle. She can do the bow and stern lines, but I still have to do the spring line. We can take the sails on and off for winter decommissioning, but it is at the upper limit of what we can handle. I doubt that you will be able to take the sails off that boat without paying for help. While I wouldn't want to do it, we could actually recover our anchor without using the windlass. At 55 feet, everything is just big, you may want to consider that.

* You have talked about visitors and crew. As others have mentioned, that is harder than it sounds. Yes, you may get help. But many times, you will sail with just the crew you can count on. If that is just you alone, then that is just you alone. This past summer, we went 4,000 miles through stunning locations in the Canadian maritimes, and could not successfully arrange a single visit by any of the many interested friends.

* I have very little time on a catamaran, but I have the distinct feeling that every catamaran I have seen while sailing my monohull is slower than we are. Life is not a race, but if we truly didn't care about speed, we can save a lot of money by making the mast half as high. I encourage you to take advantage of any time you spend on a catamaran by insisting that the engines are not turned on. See how they really sail! And if the paid captain says "well, now we are going upwind and need to motor" or "wind is too light to sail" or "she'll go a lot better if we run the leeward engine," take note of those situations.
sailingharry is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon