Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2017, 00:46   #181

Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Re: New Lagoon 42 Vs Lucia-40 ?

Last year in Cannes I saw both boats side by side, and got an offer for the L42 owners version fully configured for about the same price (+- 500€) as for the similar configuration of a Lucia 40 as a boat show special.

Generally speaking the Lucia looks better, so the Admiral would definitely go for the Lucia, the Lagoon looked more Ikea like in the interieur, the Lagoon 39 was even worse. Also the R&C Leopard 40 was much nicer than the Lagoones - but I do not like the forward cockpit bath tub - so she was dismissed for further evaluation.

The Admiral dislikes mostly the square table dance pole in the entrance supporting the mast. This is a no-go obstruction in the salon.

Regarding sailing - the Lucia has become more boxy than the Lipary, but she is still much lighter than a Lagoon and does not have a self-tacking jib, but a big Genoa besides the full-battened square main or an optional furling main in the mast (was not on the price list, but was offered by the FP-agent as an option). Also the boom is lower, so she should run smoother and faster than the Lagoon.
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 02:33   #182

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

In Düsseldorf I saw them side by side, too, and visited both.

These boats are just not comparable. You are not comparing apples to apples, you are not even comparing apples to oranges.
Its more like apples to melons

I would prefer the Lucia for same reasons as you but honestly the 42 is huge compared to the Lucia.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 05:53   #183

Boat: Hanse 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post

These boats are just not comparable. You are not comparing apples to apples, you are not even comparing apples to oranges.

I would prefer the Lucia for same reasons as you but honestly the 42 is huge compared to the Lucia.
This. If you received an offer at the same price for both, either you are getting a fantastic deal on the Lagoon, at which point you should jump on it since the wait time is not 14 months and they are on hull ~350, the fastest selling cat, especially at roughly 500k per, or getting ripped off by FP. Comparably equipped, there is a 100k price difference. The 42 is a much larger boat.
jbinbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 06:14   #184

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Probably both is true, however it was last year and a special offer at the boat show. I am not talking about list prices. I know they are different.

The L42 was on the list for 292k + 21.438 for comfort equipment option pack / 19.900 for the essential pack

the Lucia list price was about 263k + 35.000 for the comfort pack / 28k for the oceanic / 15k for the grand large package.

Base list price difference is 30k between the L42 and the Lucia40. However, there are special offers some times.

Anyway, fully configured and taxed they are way to expensive.
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 06:33   #185

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Anyway, fully configured and taxed they are way to expensive.
Probably not the mainstream perception if they are really selling hull #350.

Regardless of the stiff price tag I just prefer their older models (l400 and Lipari specifically).
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:57   #186

Boat: Still doing research...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post

That is because the Lucia is 40 in name only. Her true length is 38.4 ft [11.73 m]. While the Lagoon 42 is 42 ft [12.80 m]. That's nearly 4 ft difference.

Their beam differ also The Lucia 40 is 21.7 ft [6.63 m]. While the Lagoon 42 is 25.3 ft [7.70 m]. That's also nearly 4 ft difference.
Old 14-09-2017, 14:22   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Woodall View Post
That's great! I think the 42 is a very good boat. I have Hull #146 S/V Ocean Song. She came out of the factory on June 29th, hand-over took place on July 12th and she put to sea a couple of days later in route to Tortola. Ocean Song is currently about 850nm west of the Cape Verde Islands.

We placed our order in June, 2016 and Lagoon informed us in March, 2017 of the ex-factory and hand-over dates and nailed both dates - no delays.

If the 42 keeps this sales pace up for another 12 months it will become one of the biggest selling cruising catamarans ever. The 42 will probably never come close to catching the 380's sales numbers, but it has a chance to move into the #2 slot.
Trying to work out the timing in my head. Was your boat able to avoid Irma? That would be a heartbreaking ending to so much research and waiting on your part, but the Tortola part has me worried. I've enjoyed reading your posts comparing the various options you shopped.
MountainKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 14:50   #188

Boat: Hanse 348

Was just looking at price sheets. A well equipped L42 is going to be $550k USD. I think this might go up as the Euro has strengthened quite a bit in the last 6 months, and Lagoon only sells in USD in the US. Lucia 40 is at about $420USD with the same equipmentwith current conversion rates, they sell in Euros here in the states.

BTW, the Lucia 40 has the same dimensions as my Lagoon 380. A bit heavier, but more sail area, same SA/D ratio.
jbinbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 03:41   #189

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainKing View Post
Trying to work out the timing in my head. Was your boat able to avoid Irma? That would be a heartbreaking ending to so much research and waiting on your part, but the Tortola part has me worried. I've enjoyed reading your posts comparing the various options you shopped.
Unfortunately, Ocean Song was lost to Irma. Although we are not positive, it appears she is a total loss. Ocean Song arrived in Tortola on August 24th after taking the southern route across the tropical Atlantic. Along the way she dodged (at that time) Tropical Storm Harvey which added 3 full days to her journey, but was otherwise of no consequence for Ocean Song.

She was docked at the TMM base in Road Town, and as you know, Irma's eye passed directly over Road Town. It has been reported that winds were sustained for more than 4 hours at 185 MPH and gusts of 225 MPH were recorded in Road Town. Ocean Song flipped from her slip into an adjoining slip and is upside down in the marina. The boat that had been in the slip she flipped into was thrown 143 feet onto the shore. That boat was a Mahe 36. A Lagoon 450 which had been delivered 2 days after Ocean Song also flipped onto the dock. All three boats appear to have been "blown" out of their slips as the wave action was reportedly only moderate inside the marina during Irma. All 3 boats were probably blown out by the same gust as they are now resting at similar angles to their original positions. The strength of Irma was enormous.

Several boats in the marina survived, including 2 other 42's, but all were damaged. Now the waiting begins for salvage, survey, and the insurance dance. There are currently no new insurance binders being written for boats in the Caribbean as a result of Irma. Although it may be weeks before we get final word, all indications are she is a total loss as mentioned earlier.

My wife and I had established a long-term plan in 2007 for buying a catamaran. We had been looking at cats and doing research even before that. Our initial cruise on Ocean Song was scheduled to begin on September 30th. It really has been hard to take, but we have no choice. We do recognize many are suffering much more than we are in the Caribbean and elsewhere as a result of Irma. Once we know about the insurance we will begin a revised plan. We will not allow Irma to defeat us, although she has delivered a staggering blow.

As discouraging as this has been, I work in a profession in which I deal with tremendous human tragedies almost everyday. This week alone I have meet with two sets of parents who had their children killed senselessly. As I spoke to them I was reminded that, in the end, a boat is just a boat and my loss pales in comparison.

As an important aside, people in Tortola was very desperate. People are squatting on boats that are still afloat throughout the islands. With the challenges they face, one can understand many are in survival mode. Also boats are being looted. Virtually anything that can be removed is being removed. I understand the looting has lessened with the arrival of security forces from the UK. Again, some looting (food, fuel, other necessities) is understandable, but there are always a few people taking advantage of the misfortune of others and simply acting with bad intent.

I hope those in the sailing community will support the BVI in any way they might be able. We are trying to associate with an aid organization as soon as possible to go to Tortola and lend a hand. We still intend to support the BVI and its people. We have many friends there and now is their time of need.
Jim Woodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 12:15   #190

I am so sorry Jim to hear about the loss of Ocean Song. I assume that means you have heard from TMM staff? I have not seen any updates from TMM so I was worry about them. This is going to be a long road to recovery for the island, the charter industry, and boat owners. I wish you the best.
BlueBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 13:26   #191

Thanks Buddha. We're working on a comeback plan! TMM has been in touch with a very preliminary report. We actually saw photos on social media and then the newest Google Earth images which told us a lot. TMM's initial assessment is a total write off, we'll see.
Old 15-09-2017, 17:24   #192

Boat: Aloha 34

Even though it's only a boat, I am sorry for your loss Jim. That sucks. Good luck getting the dream back on track bud.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 07:38   #193

Wow, It now looks like Maria will be another major hurricane when it hits the Virgin Islands. No major hurricanes in many years and now two in two weeks, and a near miss with Jose. If she comes in at a strong cat 3 or cat 4 it will be yet another devastating blow to the region, and boats that may have escaped Irma will again be at risk. Think our climate might be changing?
Jim Woodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 01:26   #194

Sorry to hear about your loss, Jim. I admire your sense of perspective. Best of luck re-launching your dream.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 08:57   #195

That sucks to hear Jim. Thanks for the information. I hope things work out well. Appreciate the updates. I think many of us are curious how charter owners are treated under these circumstances, both by the charter companies as well as by the insurance companies.
MountainKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon