Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2016, 11:06   #31

Re: Nautitech Open 46

Thanks for the thorough videos. Really nicely done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Sail power sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:38   #32

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Nice walkthrough. This is a really nice boat in general, but I guess that answers my question about those skylights - they're fixed and non-opening.

Can anyone tell me why the French seem to hate ventilation? They've already gone to the expense of building skylights into the salon roof, yet make them non-opening! You see this sort of thing on so many French cats and mono's alike and it's really a pet peeve of mine. It's just silly to make those non-opening IMO, and the same with the one in the cockpit...
gjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:10   #33

Boat: Lagoon 450S

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjorgensen View Post
Nice walkthrough. This is a really nice boat in general, but I guess that answers my question about those skylights - they're fixed and non-opening.

Can anyone tell me why the French seem to hate ventilation? They've already gone to the expense of building skylights into the salon roof, yet make them non-opening! You see this sort of thing on so many French cats and mono's alike and it's really a pet peeve of mine. It's just silly to make those non-opening IMO, and the same with the one in the cockpit...
The builder indicated the the main cabin skylights will be replaced with opening hatches starting with the next boats. But the point about opening hatches in the cockpit is valid. Also, I really liked he clean cabin top, lots of space to walk the boom and for solar panels.

Gary
iliohale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:38   #34

Gary, in your vid at 4:20 we can see a "semi" nav station. Do you feel it could be an issue not to have a proper desk with chair as the competitors have in the Helia 44, Laggon 42-45 and Leopard 48 ?

I really like what I am seeing of the Nautitech 46 so far, but not having a desk area would be a deal breaker for me.
jimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:44   #35

Never mind...just noticed you mention you can have a cabinet with the refrigerator instead of the small couch.

Also confirmed here:

SITE NAME Homepage*>*Nautitech Open 46*>*Plans
jimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:51   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimba View Post
Never mind...just noticed you mention you can have a cabinet with the refrigerator instead of the small couch.

Also confirmed here:

SITE NAME Homepage*>*Nautitech Open 46*>*Plans
Yes correct, there are several key options in the main cabin. You can opt to have a Nav station with seat on the Port side of the door. This would be my choice. I could see having a nice mounted chair like the Outremer that swings in and out at a good Nav table with inside controls for the auto pilot. Also on the starboard side of the door, the "couch" can be replaced with a cabinet with a freezer/frig here. Also, a TV can be installed here in a pop up set up. The third option is the dinette table. The factory rep indicated that they want to have as an option a high/low table that folds up to a smaller foot print to use as a coffee table. I have seen this in other French boats and it works well.

Gary
Old 02-05-2016, 13:00   #37

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliohale View Post
The builder indicated the the main cabin skylights will be replaced with opening hatches starting with the next boats. But the point about opening hatches in the cockpit is valid. Also, I really liked he clean cabin top, lots of space to walk the boom and for solar panels.

Gary
That's good. I agree that the top of the cabin/cockpit is well done, especially for putting in a big solar array. On the whole these seem like well done boats. One other questions: Are the bulkheads edge-glued like Lagoon or tabbed?
gjorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 13:25   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjorgensen View Post
That's good. I agree that the top of the cabin/cockpit is well done, especially for putting in a big solar array. On the whole these seem like well done boats. One other questions: Are the bulkheads edge-glued like Lagoon or tabbed?
Good question, I have a series of questions I am collecting to review with the builder. I will add this to the list and let you know.

Gary
Old 02-05-2016, 20:18   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Obviously having not seen her yet, we don't know about built quality but assuming that this is OK, I would say she's "reasonably" priced.

I was hauled next to a 40 just a few weeks ago. The boatyard felt the laminate was pretty light and the gelcoat pretty thin. But, you have to save weight somewhere, I suppose!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 00:39   #40

Gjorgensen, i specifically asked that at LGM and was told, in no uncertain terms that the bulkheads are tabbed and not glued-in "like other French builders starting with L", they added. Needs to be double-checked of course, but that was the answer.

“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”
Waveda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:13   #41

Boat: LAGOON 400

was this gennaker they are using on 46 ? Have not seen used that way yet.

If 40 ft is truly 3 T lighter compared to Lagoon 400, then one should verify structural integrity.

I mean it is 3T of material less, and boat same size and designed to sail faster therefore more stress & less material.

If they used better material to compensate then all good. If all walls 30% thinner with same material , then maybe not.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:24   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Said it before and I will say it again, heavy does not equal strong, indeed it can be the opposite. To much resin in glass makes it brittle and makes it weigh more for example.
Factor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:35   #43

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Said it before and I will say it again, heavy does not equal strong, indeed it can be the opposite. To much resin in glass makes it brittle and makes it weigh more for example.
yeah, remeber reading blog of someone with performance cat, wife writing.

She was shocked things break so often and so easily, even just by hand
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:47   #44

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
If 40 ft is truly 3 T lighter compared to Lagoon 400, then one should verify structural integrity.

I mean it is 3T of material less, and boat same size and designed to sail faster therefore more stress & less material.

If they used better material to compensate then all good. If all walls 30% thinner with same material , then maybe not.
Seriously? Anything that is lighter than a Lagoon 400 may have structural issues?
This is the second time that you bring this up, you also did this in a thread about FP.

Its easy to use 3to in the fitout, cabinets, and lots of shiny blinkblink. All Lagoons I have seen use plenty of wooden panels and ceiling liners to hide things, used closed cabinets instead of open shelfs, etc.
Looks nice, but adds dead weight. Weight that does not help to make the boat any stronger - just easier to sell.

By the way: a Lagoon 410 is also potentially unsafe. Its longer than your 400 but over 3to lighter. This doesn't make it unsafe, most of the 410 are still around sailing. They are just not as fat as a 400.
Look at the Lagoon 470: Much longer but 10% lighter than a 400.
Are these boat structurally weak? I doubt so, most of them have been used and abused for many years and still float. They are just a bit spartan compared to the 400.

The 400 is a flyweight compared to the 39. So if you had a 39 would that be your reference point?

Get over it, the 400 is a nice and comfortable cat. But its not light and its far from perfect.

For the records: I owned a Lagoon for a few years and have no reason to bash them. My next boat could be a Lagoon, who knows?
I just can't understand why people are so religious about their choice.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:53   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

And yet 44C lives aboard his, and its light and properly built and performs well and stuff doesn't break.
Factor is online now   Reply With Quote