Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2014, 23:33   #16

Boat: Seawind 1000
Re: Motor Sailer Cat

Thank you for your pointed comment on the StilettoThinwater as I have not heard of them but I see they look a lot like the original Seawinds and can see why they would perform so well under motor and sail. Just a little too spartan for an older bloke as I did own a small Wharram 40 years ago in Port Moresby PNG which was even more spartan. I sailed to Cairns on a larger Wharram couple of months ago in 30k winds which was a vast improvement with a real bridgedeck custom cabin but still somewhat spartan and still short on speed, though felt very safe.

Downunder I did see a 34ft Oram power cat advertised up the coast from Brisbane which did suit close to my preferred dimensions. Geoff Cruse, a respected marine surveyor in Brisbane had also flagged Orams to me as a possibility. I have been trying to locate Bob Oram to get an opinion on which model may suit best and if any had been adorned with a rag and stick with any success.
So if anyone has contact with Bob Oram maybe you could ask him for me as I do respect he has retired, as I have been trying to do for the past year.
phalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 12:09   #17

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

phalo,

44C on this board himself with an oram knows him well and is often in contact.
try a PM
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 14:36   #18

Downunder I have had no success sending a PM to 44C and wonder if there is more to the address you could check for me. I tried the community list of 10000 members but no luck findinga similar name yet
By the way I notice the Tartan Yacht motor sailer cat link I gave earlier appears to have been taken down which could be since I contacted them and they advised they no longer have a working agreement on it with indikon k4 & p4 - Indikon Boat Works | Indikon Boat Works where you will see another imaginary pic
Also I noticed another thread of similar ilk Converting from Sail to Power has been running with real examples of what I am seeking including the video clip above on this link which is actually a converted power cat.
Old 30-12-2014, 15:32   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by phalo View Post
Downunder I have had no success sending a PM to 44C ........................
Try " 44'cruisingcat "
Old 31-12-2014, 14:12   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by phalo View Post
Thank you for your pointed comment on the StilettoThinwater as I have not heard of them but I see they look a lot like the original Seawinds and can see why they would perform so well under motor and sail. Just a little too spartan for an older bloke as I did own a small Wharram 40 years ago in Port Moresby PNG which was even more spartan. I sailed to Cairns on a larger Wharram couple of months ago in 30k winds which was a vast improvement with a real bridgedeck custom cabin but still somewhat spartan and still short on speed, though felt very safe.

Downunder I did see a 34ft Oram power cat advertised up the coast from Brisbane which did suit close to my preferred dimensions. Geoff Cruse, a respected marine surveyor in Brisbane had also flagged Orams to me as a possibility. I have been trying to locate Bob Oram to get an opinion on which model may suit best and if any had been adorned with a rag and stick with any success.
So if anyone has contact with Bob Oram maybe you could ask him for me as I do respect he has retired, as I have been trying to do for the past year.
I'll give Bob a call.

He did have a range of lightweight, very efficient powercats that could have a headsail only rig fitted, but not many were built, as he drew them shortly before retiring, and AFAIK none with bunks in the bridgedeck area.

I don't know of any that are for sale.

There's a cat called "Lyra" that was owner designed and built that is possibly close to exactly what you're looking for. Designed and built by a guy who was getting on in years too, and found the steps into the hulls a bit hard. Pretty much everything is built into the bridgedeck.

For the past couple of years it seems to have not been moving much, we keep seeing it anchored in about the same place in the Gold Coast, so maybe it will be for sale at some stage soon.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 17:16   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
There's a cat called "Lyra" that was owner designed and built that is possibly close to exactly what you're looking for. Designed and built by a guy who was getting on in years too, and found the steps into the hulls a bit hard. Pretty much everything is built into the bridgedeck.

For the past couple of years it seems to have not been moving much, we keep seeing it anchored in about the same place in the Gold Coast, so maybe it will be for sale at some stage soon.
Lyra has been on the market since early 2014 at least. It's currently on the hard at the Boatworks, Coomera. It's listed on the usual sites by several Aus brokers.

Here's her story:
Building a cat, The Launch of Lyra
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 17:55   #22

Yes I have test sailed Lyra, a beautiful yacht, and has most of what I am seeking and is still under consideration.
Old 23-01-2015, 16:03   #23

I am still searching for a motor sailer cat closer to 10 m than 12m before I reassess my preferred size parameters and am still hoping to hear from Australian designers Bob Oram and Peter Brady which of their power cat designs have or might be converted to motor sailer.
In the meantime I again tried to contact Power and Sailing RK 225/3 Moo 9, Sukhunvit Rd.Najomtien, Sattahip, Chonbury 20250 Thailand who I have tried emailing and phoning over the last year with no success. They have good looking motor sailer cats on their web page.
Does anyone know of this company and if they are still afloat?
Old 18-04-2019, 04:58   #24

Boat: Searay 305 - 2011

Hi Phalo,
I'm sure sooner or later we will see a clear convergence of sail and (e) motor towards the motorsailer designs, probably even some foil assisted models with active AoA etc.
Right now (2019) few are brave enough to dare but things are changing:

https://www.spiriteddesigns.com.au/crossover

Surely you couldn't really fly safely these things at 25+ kts with heavy seas but at 6 am along the coast or inside the min fetch envelope in a 20 kts wind it could be feasible, safe and comfortable.

I emailed your Aussie neighbor's above but they haven't come back yet.
A number of shipyards are on these concepts. After all, if we have eyes for the amount of ground VPLP & Co have been breaking in the past 10 years (America's Cup, Vendee Globe, Route du Rum), it's not hard to predict where boating is really going.

Or you could pay a visit to the nice guys at Pogo Structures @Combrit and ask them to rig a mast on their Loxo 32s:

Loxo 32 - Chantier naval POGO STRUCTURES

It's a bit minimalistic and not sure how she will fare with heavy conditions but maybe they can rig it up for you.

Let us know if you have luck in your quest.

Happy motor sailing

Mattia
HF1-Mattia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 13:30   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Phalo,

Bob oram has some designs and kits exactally what you are seeking. Bob is currently retired and his website is down but there may be some secondhand.
His hulls seen to convert well between power and sail .

cheers
Bob is now only semi-retired. He does have a website:
https://www.boboramdesign.com/

Some of his smaller powercats can carry a simple headsail rig, and manage some good economical cruising speeds.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, sail