Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2010, 00:21   #16

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Buy a dinghy ( Walker Bay 8' Dinghy with Sail Kit & Oars ) and a book ( Amazon.com: The Annapolis Book of Seamanship, 3rd Edition Revised (9780684854205): John Rousmaniere, Mark Smith: Books ). Go sailing in light winds. Within a week you'll be trying to get air jumping over power boat wakes.[/QUOTE]

Like he said

Bob.
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 18:04   #17

Boat: Lagoon 380 "Winds Aloft"
You're never too old to start. We bought our first cruising boat and began living aboard when I was 57 and have been cruising the Carribean and US for 2 years now, starting with an Atlantic crossing. We first did chartering/ ASA courses combined to get some qualifications for insurance purposes, and haven't stopped learning since! As the Godfather says- Just do it!
winds aloft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 03:39   #18
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Forget the motorsailer idea especially since it seem
s you see it as a way to cruise without knowing how to sail. Firstly learn to sail and especially learn to sail the size if boats you are interested in.

Secondly all modern yachts are effectine motorsailors with big diesels. The era of the 10 hp auxiallary engine is gone.

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 04:06   #19

Boat: Careel 22
Don't sit around dreaming...Just Do It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanfare View Post
First of all, hi to everyone. I am new here and have no sailing experience. I am considering a motor sail which would (I hope) allow us to learn to sail while still having the power to cruise.

Is a Cat a good choice for a motor sail? I have seen 65 foot motor sails with twin 220 HP diesels and 1200 gallon fuel capacity. I'm thinking this would be a very forgiving craft.

Our needs now are pretty local. Summers spent at the Delaware shoreline .... 20- 60 miles out (sometimes more) .... a bit of fishing ... sleeping on the water. However, we are considering a move to Hawaii within 5-6 years ... and at that point we would have the time to cruise at greater length.

I have always dreamed of sailing to distant locations. However, my career, family etc. have taken precedence over the years and I now find myself at age 45 with no sailing experience. So I am doubting my ability to learn at this age ... and wonder if I'm left to strictly power cruising options .... or should I think about a craft that allows me to sail.

Input greatly appreciated.

Brian and Penni Kinn.
Bloomsburg PA
G'day Brian,
I'm old enough to be your Dad (My eldest daughter is 46 and my eldest son is 45) and I will tell you what I would tell them, go find something like a Jim Brown Searunner 40ft Tri and learn to sail your own boat! If sailing is not for you, there are pleny of 40' plus motor yachts for sale around the states. You should look for a long range trawler type boat...If you decide on a motor cruiser, otherwise a 40 Searunner would be a good choice for a "go anywhere" sail boat.

If you don't go for it now...Who knows when you'll get around to it!
I can tell you, from experience...Time slips by real quick and you don't even notice it till...One day you wake-up and realise you've left your dreams to long in the "I'll do that later basket". You will be to old, or as in my case, your health will not permit you to follow your dream, so my advice to you is...Make your mind up on what you want to do, sail or motor, find "your" boat and Go For It! Real Soon!

Bill AU