Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2018, 13:40   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Mooring buoy gets tangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
My boat swings around all over the place as it is more controlled by the breeze than the current and wraps the mooring balls in knots.

I tie it up with short lines that hold the small buoy and loop out of the water so that it passes over the top of the larger buoy each time they cross paths. This works but is not ideal.

Am I doing something wrong ?
Do you have your boards down?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 13:43   #17

Boat: Armstrong 42' Catamaran

Hi all - my mooring is both tide & wind rode all the time. I moor my cat to what in NZ is called a Fergie Buoy. Top rope runs up through a recess in the buoy and terminates about 1 meter (3 feet) above water level with a swivel from which the mooring pennant attaches. I use a bridle from each bow to attach to the swivel , short enough that the buoy can not hit either hull. The top rope is secured loosely as further insurance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mooring.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	427.4 KB
ID:	170881  
Kiwi Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 17:39   #18

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

Do you have a problem with boats swinging near you? If not I like the system used at Catalina. (see Mooring at Santa Catalina Island). I holds the boat orientation fixed regardless of wind or tide.
Two mooring anchors are place a little over a boat length apart. The forward anchor is attached to a mooring ball and pickup stick to the bow cleat line and to a painter leading to stern cleat line. The painter is weighted along its length to keep it clear of keel and prop.
Just a thought.
I hope you are not in a tidal gyre that spins the boat even with no wind component.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 19:13   #19

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
My boat swings around all over the place as it is more controlled by the breeze than the current and wraps the mooring balls in knots.

I tie it up with short lines that hold the small buoy and loop out of the water so that it passes over the top of the larger buoy each time they cross paths. This works but is not ideal.

Am I doing something wrong ?
Dave, hi I am assuming that this is your own mooring, I would suggest that you reconfigre your mooring to a straight pick-up device, that is a small buoy with a smaller diameter line attached to the actual mooring pennant, perhaps a shortish bridle in the case of a cat, and eliminate the large buoy altogether.
Simply rock up to the small buoy, collect it with boat hook and pull the pennant on board to the mooring cleat, voila, no mooring ball to bang into hull.
If perchance it is not your own mooring then the short bridle to connect the ball between your hulls is possibly the option for you.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring