Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2020, 20:50   #1

Max Cruise 42

Interesting boat. Max Cruise Marine

Matt, now I see where the Jeffa steering comment in the other thread comes from No brainer over the schionning as far as time invested, resale is hard to say but the videos should really help with that.
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 23:01   #2

Re: Max Cruise 42

If you look at the website, it does not look very, how should I put it, trustwothy?
No real info about the company, no history, just renderings.
But if the contacted MJ we'll see...
harlem24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 23:08   #3

Yeh, I certainly wouldn't transfer 150k over without visiting the factory and researching the owner/operators a bit. I'm sure MJ will have done that or will do it before going ahead.

A lot of risks involved. Most of us would just get a 250k used seawind 1160 and be done with it. But I can see the appeal of going this route.
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:57   #4

These guys seem sold already I have to say the inclusion of the Jefa pivoting helm (similar to the Balance "versahelm") is pretty intriguing to me.

Did they share a price point? I missed it if they did.
Rennsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:39   #5

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
Yeh, I certainly wouldn't transfer 150k over without visiting the factory and researching the owner/operators a bit. I'm sure MJ will have done that or will do it before going ahead.

A lot of risks involved. Most of us would just get a 250k used seawind 1160 and be done with it. But I can see the appeal of going this route.

I'd hate to add up the amount of hours I've spent on the phone with the designer and builder going over the minutiae of this boat - that's why this video is so late to the party - but it has left me with the feeling that they have the knowledge, experience and capital to make this successful

Hulls #1 & #2 are being built for Vietnamese owners (I think 1 charter and 1 private) and #3 is coming to the US... these are going to be complete boats built by the factory. Hull 4 - the first 3D modular hull - could be ours if we commit in time.

Matt
Old 08-10-2020, 13:08   #6

We will follow your progress closely.
Keep the vids coming.
harlem24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 14:22   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
I'd hate to add up the amount of hours I've spent on the phone with the designer and builder going over the minutiae of this boat - that's why this video is so late to the party - but it has left me with the feeling that they have the knowledge, experience and capital to make this successful

Hulls #1 & #2 are being built for Vietnamese owners (I think 1 charter and 1 private) and #3 is coming to the US... these are going to be complete boats built by the factory. Hull 4 - the first 3D modular hull - could be ours if we commit in time.

Matt

Matt, can you share a price range for the boat you are designing with them? Ballpark is fine. Again, I might have missed it in your video. And my money is still on you two choosing the Max in your now, two horse catamaran builder race.
Old 08-10-2020, 18:26   #8

$150k for the component set and around $550k (I think) for a turnkey boat.

Matt
Old 09-10-2020, 04:20   #9

Thank for for sharing that Matt. Regardless of what you decide, I hope the folks at Max Cruise are successful. Would be great to have another fairly innovative builder in the market.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:01   #10

Really got interested watching your Youtube info about the Max Cruise cat.

If you can briefly explain or confirm, I believe you're interested in doing a lot of the building yourself and this boat company supports that goal with providing all the parts to put it together. Will you source all components, wiring, electronics, mast, rigging, etc or is that part of the "kit".

Look forward to seeing more progress on your decision and ultimately a build of your Max Cruise.
dbuds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 12:29   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuds2 View Post
Really got interested watching your Youtube info about the Max Cruise cat.

If you can briefly explain or confirm, I believe you're interested in doing a lot of the building yourself and this boat company supports that goal with providing all the parts to put it together. Will you source all components, wiring, electronics, mast, rigging, etc or is that part of the "kit".

Look forward to seeing more progress on your decision and ultimately a build of your Max Cruise.

I'm pretty sure they can supply the other major mechanical items -not sure if it would be cheaper once import tax and shipping are factored in - but we never pursued that since we are only interested in purchasing the fiberglass items from Max and sorting the rest out ourselves.

A lot of this has to do with our pretty tight budget. By not buying the mast, rigging, sails, or other related hardware right now - we won't need it for the first year anyway - we can sit on that money and only spend it once we know that we have enough funds to completed the rest of the boat. Worst case is that we go over budget and we use it as a powercat while saving for the sailing items.

It's our version of Toyota's Just-In-Time manufacturing

FYI - Schionning does have packages for the mechanical items from their venders. They offer them as additions to the basic kits. Since Max also sells completed boats, I assume they could do the same.

Matt
Old 12-10-2020, 03:26   #12

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Thank you Matt!

What final price are you aiming at for that boat, if you decide to get the Max42? All in and ready to leave the dock as a sailboat?

John
Old 12-10-2020, 09:14   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscis View Post
Thank you Matt!

What final price are you aiming at for that boat, if you decide to get the Max42? All in and ready to leave the dock as a sailboat?

John
$300k is the estimate from Max for total cost to finish the 3DM components to a sail away boat. This does not include variable items like rent or insurance, and it is a fairly simple configuration, so your results may vary

Our budget is less. The Youtube channel doesn't pay well, but it does get us access to venders and pricing that is closer to cost.

-Matt
Old 12-10-2020, 14:00   #14

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Thanks Matt!

That is a fair amount of cash. We might go a complete different route with approx. the same amount of money to spend at the end of the day. I do not have the confidence, time and will to spend that much time in building a boat from scratch by ourselfs. I am a die hard DIYer, but thats just too much...

We might get a good 3-6 year old production cat from one of the big 5...

BTW, this summer we spend some time on the Island Spirit you chartered on Koh Chang and talked a bit to Ron. Isn´t Thailand a great sailing destination to spend a couple of years?

Have a great day,

John
Old 29-10-2020, 06:24   #15

Hello Matt and Jessica off course,

I am thijs from Holland and regular watsch Your vlog.

You talk in this forum as if you both made a decision already on the MAX 42.

My questinn is abour the bows. They look as separate pieces to me.

How do they connect with the hulls and how aboutde gelcoat because i think the seam will be visible and may be colordifference?
Thijstr7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise