Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2015, 20:38   #1

Maverick 440

My Wife and I went to the 2015 boat show">Annapolis boat show and loved the Maverick 440. The layout: it has the biggest kitchen for its size, and space for a washing machine/dishware or what ever else you wanted. The owner's version also had the ability to sleep 8 (2 in the saloon). The saloon area was bigger then most in its class. The outside was smaller then most in its class but had the tables that raised up into the roof to help with the smaller area. My wife loved the hammock on the back. I loved the big platforms on the back of the hulls. We felt that the FPs, Leopards and Lagoons steps were very steep and shallow vs the Maverick and Fusion's layouts.

The only downside (which isn't that big of a deal) is the Maverick didn't look as plush compared to the 3 bigger production boat and the Fusion. I Also love those beds that turn to the inside in the forward hulls ie like the Fusion and some of the older Leopards. Also love the Helia's sitting up top.

Now as you can tell we don't know much about Catamaran's or boats in general. But I have at least 5 yrs to learn and research. We have done some Chartering to test the waters so to speak with more to come.

So to my questions: How is the Maverick as a sailing vessel compared to the Helia, Fusion or Leopards (older ones being that I don't think I am a fan of the leopards front porch). I am looking to sail around the east coast of the US and the Caribbean for a few yrs and then spend some time in Europe and the Pacific. At the moment avoiding Africa and the Middle East things change in the future. So I would like a boat that can sail well (balance between safety and fast). How is the construction? I have done a search and found this thread which was concerning: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-136210-3.html
I was looking for a more focused thread on this boat being that there is no section for Mavericks. Hoping to hear from Maverick owner's as well as others. If there are Fusion owners I would love to hear from them also.

Regards,

Any and all advice is welcome being we are just in the planning/research stages and are complete novices.
Breenme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 21:11   #2

Boat: Aloha 34
Re: Maverick 440

I suggest you research a Maverick 400 called S/Y Andando before making any decisions.

Here is one of the owners videos. He has lots more.

outside

Inside

The boat is currently up for sale and accepting any offers. Hopefully things at Maverick have changed since this, as their design is very nice... you decide.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:10   #3

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breenme View Post
But I have at least 5 yrs to learn and research. We have done some Chartering to test the waters so to speak with more to come.
A good plan. When I was "researching" I chartered one of each of the Leopards, FPs and Lagoons (not to mention years of chartering on monos). This will help you ID your personal preferences and perhaps alert you to preferences you don't yet know you have. In the process you'll learn more sailing and cruising skills. Good luck!

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:16   #4

What a shame. My wife and I went to the 2014 Annapolis Boat show and we also loved the Maverick 440. It just seemed to be a well thought out design with tons of cool features. We'll have to look closer next time at the fit an finish.

Tom
Tscott8201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:15   #5

Quote:
...Now as you can tell we don't know much about Catamaran's or boats in general. But I have at least 5 yrs to learn and research. We have done some Chartering to test the waters so to speak with more to come...
My wife and I are in the exact same 'boat' as you and also liked the Maverick as well - well my wife more than I. We have a Beneteau Oceanis 351 now and the better half can't live aboard without getting claustrophobic so cat is the only way to realize my plans. I am concentrating on sailability & ease of maint more than creature comforts as I feel this will be my burden for the planned 5-7 years aboard.

Curious if you have ruled out the Lagoon series? Aside from difficulty reefing it is atop my list so far with the Helia in second...

Regards,
John.
dploypos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
The boat is currently up for sale and accepting any offers. Hopefully things at Maverick have changed since this, as their design is very nice... you decide.
This is why I wanted to start this thread. Is this a one off? Is it only with the 400's? Is it just this year(s)?

I personally will be buying used, so a lot will be depended on a survey and us personally inspecting the boat that we will be purchasing. Hoping that a boat that is 5yrs old or older will have had all the factory issued worked out already. .

BTW how do you find out how many 440's are/were made?
Old 08-12-2015, 08:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dploypos View Post
My wife and I are in the exact same 'boat' as you and also liked the Maverick as well - well my wife more than I. We have a Beneteau Oceanis 351 now and the better half can't live aboard without getting claustrophobic so cat is the only way to realize my plans. I am concentrating on sailability & ease of maint more than creature comforts as I feel this will be my burden for the planned 5-7 years aboard.

Curious if you have ruled out the Lagoon series? Aside from difficulty reefing it is atop my list so far with the Helia in second...

Regards,
John.
We have not ruled out Lagoon or really any boat for that matter. We really don't know much. Cosmetically and practically speaking we liked the Maverick, Fusion and Helia at the 2015 show. I was really excited to see the Alpha but felt it was tight inside. I plan on going to more shows and viewing all the boats many more times. We chartered a lagoon 38 out of Charleston this past summer and had a blast for the weekend.
Old 08-12-2015, 16:20   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

That Maverick video is shocking. How does a design like that get past marine documenting? I would feel more secure offshore in less than 30' day sailer. At least you would be aware of its limitations.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 16:45   #9

Ya. I'll bet it would have been cheaper for the company to refund him his $ or given him a new boat than the bad PR that comes from that particular story. Sad for everyone.
Old 08-12-2015, 22:11   #10

This is how his NEW boat arrived in New Zealand from South Africa.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:54   #11

This particular boat is really bad that makes me wonder how did it ever leave the docks in the first place? Did all this happen at sea? Caused by stress of the ocean? Who and Where was the QC on this? I personally do my own inspection before I take ownership of anything I buy. Wouldn't some of this been their before the transport like the cabinet issue? Also the bubbling inside maybe? The cracking I can see from the sailing.

I know houses and what to look for but I know nothing about boats and marine wearing. I am just observing and applying the only things I know via common sense. That is why I am asking you guys for more insight and knowledge.

No one has mentioned if this is a one off or common for this brand/model/factory (i know some models can & will be build in different factories over their existence IE lagoon and gunboat) or year? Also lucky for me (I guess) I won't be purchasing from the manufacturer, so I am really focusing on how brands/models hold up over time.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:56   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Ya. I'll bet it would have been cheaper for the company to refund him his $ or given him a new boat than the bad PR that comes from that particular story. Sad for everyone.
yes very bad business. sometimes it is better to scrap and start over on some projects. It is cheaper in the long run, but not always to see it up front all the time.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:27   #13
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

It would appear that this boat was so poorly/inadequately built/engineered that it is incapable of being repaired. Most of these cracks are stress cracks, indicative of a boat that is structurally inadequate and that has been flexing/wracking to an incredible degree. Take note that the cracks are not isolated to one or two areas, suggesting that the entire hull and deck are inadequate. The already grossly inadequate structure/scantlings, of course, have been further weakened by the cracks in structural bulkheads and at this point it is surely unseaworthy. This is to say nothing of the vast amount of interior blistering, which while not structural, is further evidence of inferior build quality.

A while back there was a thread asking the question, 'How old is too old' with respect to frp boats. Some opined that there was no advantage to the typically 'overbuilt' boats of the past and that the real threat to structural integrity of the hull and deck was that fiberglass resin becomes more brittle over time. This and the failure of structural bulkheads in some recent Lagoons, as well as the failure of the laminates surrounding the keel in a recent Oyster (and some earlier Beneteau's) makes me wonder.

My boat is 21 years old and has zero signs of structural stress cracks, even around stanchion bases (there are a couple on cockpit hatches by the latches). Yes, she is heavy and relatively slow. But was she 'ovebuilt'? I don't think so.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 16:03   #14

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
yes very bad business. sometimes it is better to scrap and start over on some projects. It is cheaper in the long run, but not always to see it up front all the time.
I am amazed Maverick have the cheek to still display in the 2015 boat shows,

you would have to be very brave to put over 1/2 Million USD down on any of their new models,

very disturbing videos, and some of the worst build quality I have seen on a cat.
Andrew Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 17:08   #15

Wow, my wife & I really liked the layout of the 440 in Annapolis & had it on our short list. After viewing those videos, it is now no longer there, that is shocking...
GorMac is offline   Reply With Quote