Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2021, 13:14   #16

Boat: Gemini 105Mc
Re: Marathon Florida Depths

Pay no attention to that guy from Montana.

Here is a bargain for you..... They have dropped the price about 1.3 million....

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...86629036_zpid/

No problems with canal widths or depths. Plus, there is plenty of room for my meager 14' wide catamaran on the aside canal. I could be your grounds keeper or pool boy, although I don't actually qualify as a boy any longer and I don't really look that good in a bathing suit..........

Let me know when you close on the property...........
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 14:00   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I looked at homes on Key Colony earlier this year...ha ha ha.....a basic 1 bedroom, 1 bath duplex will set you back about $350K to half a mil.....and then there are homeowner fees.....they have their own police, etc...
Prices for canal homes in Marathon are all over the map. Many single story homes are still being worked on from past hurricane damage...stilt homes likewise....
I won't say Marathon is a wasteland, but at least half of area business are shut down...Covid....a trip to Big Pine was equally depressing.

I've been to the Keys a gazillion times, but this was the FIRST time I was ever able to park on Duval Street in Key West...empty parking spaces everywhere....many business closed....it was depressing...never seen it like this before...and now, they don't want Cruise Ships parked there anymore either.
When I first came to Key West, 40 some years ago, it was a sleepy little town, except for Duval Street and it looks to be headed that way again...
I couldn't say where the real estate market is headed though....the Keys are still the Keys and plenty of people want to live there..

The Keys have a tourist driven economy.....no tourist....no $$$....

Interestingly, I like to fish....but the fishing charter fleet was also hard hit....no tourists...many one man charters had to fold.

Maybe 2021 will see an improvement.....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 17:46   #18
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Marathon Florida Depths

Went to Key West 2 days ago, it was packed with people, and the vast majority of businesses are open in Marathon.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 06:22   #19
Marine Service Provider

Well, that is good news, it was pretty depressing when I was there earlier this year, but this time of the year you also have the typical hoards of tourist there, will havta give it another looksee
Old 02-01-2021, 06:39   #20

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

No hordes here this week in Marathon, but businesses are open and people are out spending money. Restaurants have lines at peak hours and stores are seeing foot traffic and sales. There ARE vacant storefronts, but then again, there have always been a few vacancies along the highway. The last of the resorts appear to have finally settled with their insurers as repairs have begun on most of the last few damaged properties.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:40   #21
Marine Service Provider

I'm curious to know about the "mask" thing in Marathon and Key West, there was a lot of talk about "mandatory" mask obligations while I was there, but I didn't really see it....mostly only in stores, but little elsewhere..
Old 02-01-2021, 07:52   #22

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Folks are obeying our governors rules regarding masking. Of course, our governor is an idiot.....

I went to pickup takeout at the Island Fish Co. this week and the place was packed! Tables close together and not a mask on a single customer except me. And all in compliance with the rules since they had a few windows open. Publix and Home Depot have nearly 100% compliance as do most shops and stores.

Still no word from Walgreens as to the arrival and distribution of vaccines.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 11:01   #23
Marine Service Provider

I see much the same thing in north Florida...masks are being used as chin guards...more and more, I see people without masks in stores..and everyone seems to be cool with that...typically, boaters, etc, are all maskless..

Was at the beach yesterday...hundreds of people...it was a nice day...bikini weather...surfers were out...strollers were out, pretty much a normal day at the beach, not one mask to be seen....then you get the one guy dressed from head to toe with a scarf or something around his head...not another person within 100 yards of him...area restaurants much the same thing....pretty packed from what I can tell...

in the same breath, we have people sleeping in cars overnight, in rows 3-5 miles long, hoping to get a vaccine shot...mostly for people 65 years old and older...

crazy times for sure....

Tags
depth, florida