Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2022, 16:00   #1

Lagoon bulkheads

Another YouTube channel Sailing Nahoa on a 2005 Lagoon 410 is reporting broken bulkhead issues as they sail the Indian Ocean. I thought this was a design fault related to the Lagoon 450. Makes me wonder if this is not an issue with all Lagoons built over the last twenty years that have been sailed extensively.
Cameron65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 16:07   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Lagoon bulkheads

People should be preemptively fixing these things.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 17:42   #3

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Would not touch a Lagoon at this point.
Old 17-07-2022, 20:04   #4

Boat: currently boatless

OK folks, before the hysteria sets in. Let me point out a few facts first regarding this video. We are talking about the Lagoon 410, A very very well designed boat that can take a sea, I know form first hand as I owned one. The video clearly shows movement in one of the panels, given the sea and they way the boats are designed this is not unusual. The owner is far from clear what has actually happened in regard to what has happened only stating that one of the bulkheads are broken. Me being me I am just curious as to why this was not shown, I mean if you can see it you can photograph it. From my experience and I can only comment on my experience the floor supports can become detached from the hull. This is not a big deal, is not structural and easily fixed. It may well be that a bulkhead has an issue but at this point in time we can only go by what we have been told which is very little. I await further details. For those already making links to the bulkhead issue with the L450 - get a life and just deal in known facts. Everything else is just speculation until the issue is identified by a proffesional.

Ozsailer
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 21:08   #5

Boat: 40ft Catamaran

heres a lagoon 380 with the same issue :
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/HEv07qssvzo

i wouldnt touch lagoons at this point. regardless of model or sailing miles.

these are structural problems with the hull.
zurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 21:14   #6

Boat: currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurk View Post
heres a lagoon 380 with the same issue :
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/HEv07qssvzo

i wouldnt touch lagoons at this point. regardless of model or sailing miles.

these are structural problems with the hull.
Have you watched the video Zurk. It shows nothing other than the flexing of the hull in one part. No more no less. Go to nay boatyard and do what is in the video and I would suggest you will find that in many many boats, power or sail. If you dont like Lagoons mate, thats fine, but dont trash a boat, that may not be everyone cup of tea but still a very very good boat for what it was intended.

Ozsailer
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 21:16   #7

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
People should be preemptively fixing these things.
Sure but bulkheads should be built from proper materials and coved and glass taped from day 1 at factory
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 21:36   #8

Boat: LAGOON 400

hahaha, i can see same characters bashing lagoon again and again, hoping to get that discount and get one for themselves.

Maybe you should aim for another smaller boat. If you havent managed so far to nock prices/demand down, i guess it is time to face reality - will not happen.

It is true our lagoon has become bit fatter and lazier during corona sailing.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 22:29   #9

Boat: 40ft Catamaran

i'd avoid any boats which behave like wet sponges, but YMMV. I wouldnt take a free lagoon at this point much less pay for one.
zurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 23:16   #10

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I think most Catamarans look like barges with a flybridge. Some of the little one seat helms are just strange. They all seem to use some methods to attach things an aircraft engineer would be sick over.
A power boat with flex is junk. The gel coat is going to crack in not time and suck water in. It’s why Jeanneau added a layer of Kevlar roving. Keep a hull lightweight and strong. O know their Cats run their own design team so I don’t know that applies
Sorry I don’t care for Catamarans. No offence intended. .
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 23:30   #11

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
hahaha, i can see same characters bashing lagoon again and again, hoping to get that discount and get one for themselves.

Maybe you should aim for another smaller boat. If you havent managed so far to nock prices/demand down, i guess it is time to face reality - will not happen.

It is true our lagoon has become bit fatter and lazier during corona sailing.
I see that you have resurfaced, how is that racing lagoon of yours going these days??

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 00:41   #12

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
The only ones that would remotely interest me are the pre 1996 / pre Beneteau era boats in 57 ft + range

At least back then they weren't a bad build, had some style and could sail reasonably well.

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 04:44   #13
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
Have you watched the video Zurk. It shows nothing other than the flexing of the hull in one part. No more no less. Go to nay boatyard and do what is in the video and I would suggest you will find that in many many boats, power or sail. If you dont like Lagoons mate, thats fine, but dont trash a boat, that may not be everyone cup of tea but still a very very good boat for what it was intended.

Ozsailer

I believe the 410 has the same hull flex as in the video, but never heard of hull failure because of it? Over time wouldn’t this lead up to stress cycles in the glass? And if so, how long until the hull is compromised?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 19:42   #14

Boat: Hunter 40.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
Would not touch a Lagoon at this point.
I would say this is a Beneteau Group problem at this point.

I am in the market for a new boat (50' mono) and made a point to inspect their grids, saw three and all three had stringer delamination. 2004 to 2012.

Too much glue...
Sandy Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 20:31   #15

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
O...Me being me I am just curious as to why this was not shown, I mean if you can see it you can photograph it...
I watched the video (unusual for me) and I saw the broken bulkhead. A horizontal wiggly broken line across the bulkhead about midway from top to bottom. Don't know how deep the crack was.

Occurs to me that the hull was flexing putting strain on the cabinetry. So pieces of the cabinetry were breaking loose from each other and possibly from the structure of the boat.

I'd want to inspect the actual hull itself and make sure that none of the hull to deck to cabin to bridge deck joints are not also breaking away from each other. I'd say that is a big job just to inspect it.

Tags
head, lagoon