Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2022, 23:01   #16

Boat: currently boatless
Re: Lagoon bulkheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I watched the video (unusual for me) and I saw the broken bulkhead. A horizontal wiggly broken line across the bulkhead about midway from top to bottom. Don't know how deep the crack was.

Occurs to me that the hull was flexing putting strain on the cabinetry. So pieces of the cabinetry were breaking loose from each other and possibly from the structure of the boat.

I'd want to inspect the actual hull itself and make sure that none of the hull to deck to cabin to bridge deck joints are not also breaking away from each other. I'd say that is a big job just to inspect it.

Wingsail, you might have watched the video but you did not understand what you were looking at. What you saw was movement is a non structural piece of thin dressed plywood with a joint that was caulked and not a bulkhead. Once again I will say I dont know what the damage is from just form viewing the video, it may well be a broken bulkhead BUT a full inspection has not been carried out by a qualified person and anything that is wrong with the vessel is purely speculation at this point. I'm just loving all the answers from people who have absolutely no idea. (Just like me )

Ozsailer
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2022, 03:44   #17

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I didn’t know it was a full on Benni Bash. Weeee. It’s virtually impossible for a Benniteau to “pop” a stringer. You may see one if you bash a big hole in one but they are not held in with chopper gun.
I have a Jeanneau a big member of Groupe Beneteau. We have an awesome hull arguably non better and few peers, but some guy with patches all over a water logged patched hull with dry rot solid endangered species wood smack talks the brand he can’t afford. Classic

Don’t forget to mention the bronze ballcocks you don’t have etc.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2022, 04:52   #18
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Their most recent video.

https://youtu.be/aOgV8jemecU
Video taken in 1m seas. Just the creaking and groaning would drive me crazy, though not always a sign of structural problems.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2022, 05:43   #19

Boat: Looking now. Proud AP sailer

It’ll be interesting to see how this pans out. I watched this channel for quite some time now. Since having kids they have evolved from a positive couple to drama after drama after drama.

I know having kids is a sobering experience, I have 4 (in my comfy house) however most people who watch these channels do so for the travel, ahem….the “scenery”, boat projects, long passage vids etc. Not drama after drama.

Let’s hope they get on the right path again.
John_char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2022, 05:51   #20

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I have newfound respect for boats like Voyage. There's no paneling and the bulkheads are just right there. Voyage does has other detriments like that low bridgedeck but that's an entirely different thread.
Old 19-07-2022, 06:15   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurk View Post
i'd avoid any boats which behave like wet sponges, but YMMV. I wouldnt take a free lagoon at this point much less pay for one.
Then don't! I own an FP and personally prefer them to Lagoons but I don't have the pathological need to decry how much I would never buy a Lagoon over and over. One wonders why you do?

What kind of boat did you say you own again?
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2022, 08:43   #22

Boat: Lagoon 39

For what they are designed for, costal charter, Lagoons are awesome.. i am amazed though that the factory is choosing not to tab these bulkheads. I suspect this decision was driven by production line volumes, certainly not materials.. Such a shame, as the effort and dificulty on ripping the boat appart to retrofit must be massive...
macieknan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2022, 15:29   #23

Boat: 40ft Catamaran

i wouldnt buy an FP either. they had the whole hull osmosis issue. production boats are mostly junk. even the leopards which are nicely built for the most part still have balsa cores even after the problems with balsa cores are well known.

buy from a semi custom builder. you dont see these sorts of issues on the antares or HH.

spend your money on mainstream junk, get mainstream junk.
zurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2022, 15:31   #24
smj

Quote:
i wouldnt buy an FP either. they had the whole hull osmosis issue. production boats are mostly junk. even the leopards which are nicely built for the most part still have balsa cores even after the problems with balsa cores are well known.

buy from a semi custom builder. you dont see these sorts of issues on the antares or HH or mavericks.

Have you heard of any extensive balsa problems with Leopard? And seriously, do some research on Maverick.
Old 19-07-2022, 15:36   #25

Boat: 40ft Catamaran

i stand corrected on the mavericks. buyer beware.

antares or HH or seawind are safe bets. and no i have not heard of problems with leopards, but using substandard material which is known to turn into mush on contact with water when foams are available instead is just silly. i dont like brands which do silly just because the material is cheap and they know how to work with it. modernize as better materials are available.
zurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2022, 16:18   #26

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:

antares or HH or seawind are safe bets. and no i have not heard of problems with leopards, but using substandard material which is known to turn into mush on contact with water when foams are available instead is just silly. i dont like brands which do silly just because the material is cheap and they know how to work with it. modernize as better materials are available.
Can't help but notice your rabbid dislike of most all production boats so please, let us all know just what boat you own.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2022, 16:39   #27

Quote:

buy from a semi custom builder. you dont see these sorts of issues on the antares or HH.

You wouldn't buy any cruising catamaran because you're not actually a cruiser and best I can tell your sole contribution here is to randomly show up and tell us all how you'd never buy this or that boat that you've never sailed on and will never be in a position to buy anyway so its a moot point. I'm guessing you own a bass boat if you own any boat at all, given that everyone has repeatedly asked you what fantastic brand you own and you seem somehow confused and unable to answer the question. It's easy to throw rocks from the shore.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2022, 17:26   #28
smj

Quote:

There was one very disgruntled Maverick owner that I know of. What became of it or whether it was warranted I don’t know, but buyer beware on any boat purchasing.
The HH, Antares and Seawind are great boats but especially with the HH and Antares, in a completely different financial bracket than the standard production build.
Balsa is an exceedingly strong core with some really good properties if care is taken during the construction of the boat. Not sure how many problems have been encountered with the use of balsa in the standard production catamaran though. I know there are many custom builds that have successfully used and still use balsa as a core.
Old 19-07-2022, 17:56   #29

Boat: CL14 #1179

Is this something that can even be fixed in the Seychelles? South Africa would be a good place, but they would have to make it there first.
Wilyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2022, 19:05   #30

I am just a casual observer of all the conversations as an engineer who is considering the purchase of something like the Lagoon 450. The build flaws of the 45 are now evident in the 410 and the 500. They are also reporting issues with doors flying open and a lot of squeaks in heavy seas. I follow the Parley Revival and David Shih stories, and now Nandji. The risk in the purchase of a Lagoon is just not worth it. Let me buy one at half price, and I am in!

I am confident the Nandji can make it to Seychelles. The boat will not sink, but there might not be much left when they get there. God be with them! I am glad I am not.
danno7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, lagoon