Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2017, 21:54   #91

Re: Lagoon 42

Quote : "I second the earlier comments that for a really popular boat, there really doesn't seem to be much info out their."

This is all a numbers game.

Think Lagoon has just finished hull #100 thats 2 a week roughly they are producing.

Delivery on average around the world would take aprox 8 weeks so we have 80 boats possibly already delivered. 50% to charter companies. That leaves 40 boats to owners or sales offices. Another 10 would probably be display/stock/show boats around the world. So now we have 30 owners that have taken delivery of their new 42 in the past 12 months.

So out of that 30 people in the world of 6 billion, how many do expect to be doing a blog, Vlog or are on the Cruisers Forum?

As I started with, it's all in the numbers and that is for the hottest selling Multihull around at present.

It surprises me even more when people look for info / blogs /spare parts info on a less than main stream design that had a manufacturing run of less that 50 units some 15 to 25 years ago. No harm in looking though I gues. Just my opinion.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:22   #92

Boat: 2017 Lagoon 42 Catamaran

I've tried to put up most of the information I've found on my Facebook page and have put up a few videos as well. Search Facebook and YouTube for "water dragon lagoon 42."
Water Dragon 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 13:39   #93

Thanks WD42. I'd seen a few of your videos recently but took another look and found a few more. Thanks for the efforts! I guess you are the 1 of 30 out of 7 billion!

Just wondering a couple of things from the videos:

1. What extra non-lagoon fittings have you added. For example, is the swim ladder lagoon standard?

2. You mention the channel around the roof is NOT for water collection although I've seen this video which at 6 mins 12 seconds says the channel is a water catcher so would be great to get more thoughts on this: https://boatingnz.co.nz/boat-reviews...-42-catamaran/

3. Every time I look at a video of the external fridge drawer I wonder why it is so small and they didn't allow for a taller one. Is there anything else using up the space above the fridge?

Thanks again for the great vids.
TravellingKiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 17:01   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingKiwis View Post
Thanks WD42. I'd seen a few of your videos recently but took another look and found a few more. Thanks for the efforts! I guess you are the 1 of 30 out of 7 billion!

1. What extra non-lagoon fittings have you added. For example, is the swim ladder lagoon standard?

2. You mention the channel around the roof is NOT for water collection although I've seen this video which at 6 mins 12 seconds says the channel is a water catcher so would be great to get more thoughts on this: https://boatingnz.co.nz/boat-reviews...-42-catamaran/

3. Every time I look at a video of the external fridge drawer I wonder why it is so small and they didn't allow for a taller one. Is there anything else using up the space above the fridge?

Thanks! I put them up mostly because I wanted to show all the stuff that I wished I saw when I was looking/waiting for it to arrive. Everything except the code 0 is factory standard. The swim ladder came with it.

I watched that New Zealand video a bunch of times and of course was excited to think it was coming with a water catchment feature not mentioned in the lagoon materials or available as an option. Unfortunately, it is not a catchment system but that would be a great idea for it.

One of life's great mysteries remains the contents of the space above that external fridge or freezer. Right now it is pretty useless how it is set up. I am sure the charter company people will figure out something to make it useful again or maybe someone else will and make a YouTube video of a brilliant modification.

If you search #lagoon42 on Instagram there are a couple awesome very short videos too including the boat ripping through the water near Gibraltar.
Old 01-04-2017, 18:50   #95

Boat: TBA

Hi WaterDragon

did you get the upgraded engines or standard and can you tell us how they perform on one engine etc ??
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 19:12   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclmck View Post
Hi WaterDragon

did you get the upgraded engines or standard and can you tell us how they perform on one engine etc ??
It has the 57hp upgraded engines with the folding propellers. I haven't tested just one engine but it cruises around 8-9 knots at 2500 rpm on both, about 8.5-9.5 at 2800 rpm and another half knot at full throttle. Don't have fuel consumption numbers yet. I'm on it next at the end of April, hopefully the charter company will have gone through some of those things by then and if not I will try it on one engine and I can provide more detail. Need the more powerful engines up here because of the currents and passes.
Old 01-04-2017, 20:27   #97

We have a Lagoon 42 and a FP 44 in our Marina Sailing fleet in Long Beach CA. Both 3 cab/3 head. The lagoon engine controls are smoother, the elect. panel more user friendly, ie translated clearer from french. I think they sail better as well. However the FP rear cockpit is roomier and the helm seat sits up higher for better visibility. The Lagoon seems a little low i'm 6' and like to stand up on her to see better. But once the sails are set the auto helm goes on and off to the tramp we go. So that's my take on those two for what its worth. That and dollar will get you on a bus.
Cheers.
DirtyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 15:28   #98

Boat: Lagoon 42'

Hi

I can help with your second and third questions.

During a recent visit to the Lagoon factory, I was able to solve some of the mysteries you are asking about.

The curved front that wraps around the salon roof around the outside of the hand hold is actually a separate mounding from the rest of the roof. The hand hold forms a natural channel that is perfect for a water collecting gutter. There are a number of overflow channels around this gutter set into the roof mounding. There is one right on the centerline at the front of the roof. It is well placed to feed the water tank inlets just in front of the window at deck level.

There is no Lagoon optional equipment that I am aware of that is available to connect the gutter to the water inlets, and the manual makes no mention of using this gutter for water collection. However, I believe a custom solution would be very easy. On my L42, I plan to use a plastic funnel and squeeze it up under the roof against the front window where the gutter overflows, and direct the rainwater via a short hose down into the deck inlet fitting.

Regarding the space above the cockpit fridge, I agree it is a sub-optimal design. For a start, the fridge does not hold much, and the space above it is wasted. The fridge is suspended by a large "U" shaped aluminum strap that is bolted up under the fiberglass floor of the helm station. If you look at the floor under the helm seat you can see the two sets of flush mounted bolts that hold the U frame which hangs down below it and cradles the fridge.

I can see that the space directly above the fridge, and between the U frame hangers would be available to make extra storage. I plan to install a small storage bin directly above the fridge with a flush mounted door. The space will be small but I figure that any extra space, however small, will help alleviate the dearth of storage space available in the rear cockpit area generally.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Quote:

Matagorda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:34   #99

A fantastic response, thanks very much. What I would love to see is if companies that made production catamarans, actually looked at the forums and made a few changes during their production runs. For example, with the Lagoon 42, it seems there are already a few things:

- Design of the davits is an improvement but could be better with a few little tweaks and probably cost less to make using less materials:

- Fridge / Freezer space does seem a little limited. That optional little cockpit fridge could either be a lot bigger or at the least have storage above. Or another approach, any reason a full height fridge/freezer could not be an option where the current fridge is located, right opposite the galley and just inside the door? Both these would make more money for Lagoon on options.

- The handhold should be really double as a water catcher, not only innovative but damn useful for cruisers

I bet there is more things out there. Do does anyone know if Lagoon or others major manufacturers do this?
Old 04-04-2017, 07:28   #100

Boat: Hunter, 31 (1983)

Quote:
- Design of the davits is an improvement but could be better with a few little tweaks and probably cost less to make using less materials:
?
I think if the chain attachments to the Dinghy were a little longer, ( maybe just 8 to 10 inches longer) then you would not have the outboard or the port tube rubbing against the Davit. However, the Dinghy would hang 8 to 10 inches lower when fully raised.

This would also make it easier to connect to the davit in rough water with more slack in the chains when making the connections.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:18   #101

Hi, has anyone a solution vor gettin a mosquito net in the frontwindows auf the salon?

Thanks Tim
Timbo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 13:47   #102

So any other Lagoon 42 owners with thoughts for improvements?
Old 05-05-2017, 15:29   #103

Boat: Lagoon 42

"The saloon is IDEAL for fitting a 50 inch flatscreen, which I did, it's exactly in the right place, fitted a big harddisk with that for endless movies whilst sailing."

Brainmaker how did you mount the TV? I'm considering mounting it in the same spot as the factory installed TV, but secure the mount to the cabinets above. The above cabinets strike me as more robust. The attached picture has it mounted on top of the cabinet but I don't think a big ol 50 inch would fit in that type of setup?

nextis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 14:03   #104

Don't think Timbo2000 had any replies re the mosquito nets. Anyone?
Old 15-06-2017, 01:18   #105

Boat: Lagoon 42

Raised height of helm seat and added step. Allows helm to see all four corners and significantly improved visibility.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0045.JPG
Views:	340
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	149949
Bec10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon