Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2019, 17:28   #1

Boat: 1973 Morgan OI 41'
Key West to Exumas in February

I am planning to sail my Morgan OI 41' from Key West to the Bahamas in the next few weeks. I have not done this cruise before and am looking for advice on best routes.

Eventually, I want to end up in the Exumas but wouldn't mind avoiding the long sail from Key West. Currently, the plan is to sail to Marathon or Key Largo intially, then begin the gulf stream crossing from there to Bimini, Berry's, (possibly Nassau), then to Exumas.

From a light chart review, it doesn't appear to be feasible to go directly from Key West to Exumas without going far south of Andros to avoid the bank. Also appears that the Atlantic side (eastern exumas) is where we want to cruise and anchor. Is that right?

Also, How are the inter-island currents through the Bahamas.

Any recommendations regarding routes, anchorages or best check in locations would be much appreciated.
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 17:36   #2

Re: Key West to Exumas in February

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
I am planning to sail my Morgan OI 41' from Key West to the Bahamas in the next few weeks. I have not done this cruise before and am looking for advice on best routes.

Eventually, I want to end up in the Exumas but wouldn't mind avoiding the long sail from Key West. Currently, the plan is to sail to Marathon or Key Largo intially, then begin the gulf stream crossing from there to Bimini, Berry's, (possibly Nassau), then to Exumas.

From a light chart review, it doesn't appear to be feasible to go directly from Key West to Exumas without going far south of Andros to avoid the bank. Also appears that the Atlantic side (eastern exumas) is where we want to cruise and anchor. Is that right?

Also, How are the inter-island currents through the Bahamas.

Any recommendations regarding routes, anchorages or best check in locations would be much appreciated.
I am not quite sure why you are posting this in the "multihull forum" since it is not specific to multihulls, and you apparently don't have one...

But...

We did the same passage last year. Boogied from Key West to Bimini on a frontal passage in 20 hours, check in, and then waited for a weather window to cross the bank, Chub Cay, Rose Island, then across Yellow Bank to the Exumas. We draw 6.5 feet. Easy peasy.

If you don't have this book: Gentleman's Guide to Passages South, get it. Read it. Study it. Believe it. Follow it.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 17:51   #3

Sorry I misclicked the category. But now that I think about it, with my 4'4" draft, multihull input may be appropriate.
Old 18-01-2019, 18:09   #4

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Buy the explorer charts, a lot of info to be gained. Do sail to key largo first, no benefit to sailing direct from KW. We pass at south riding rock and go directly to andros to check in, then around south side of Nassau to exumas. You can't have an exact plan though as you don't know the weather yet.
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 14:00   #5

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Sounds like you need to read the Bahamas cruising guide and buy the Explorer Charts.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 17:48   #6

Thanks guys! I have the cruising guide and explorer charts. Just looking for recommendations.
Old 21-01-2019, 04:58   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
... Also appears that the Atlantic side (eastern exumas) is where we want to cruise and anchor. Is that right? ...
The Exuma Sound is deep water. No anchoring there. You generally anchor on the Bank side.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 05:21   #8

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The Exuma Sound is deep water. No anchoring there. You generally anchor on the Bank side.

Not to mention that the passes to the Banks between the islands can be a real "pip" absent very good timing!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 06:09   #9

Boat: Currently in between

Last season we did what Dave852 did except we left from Marathon. Left about noon and angled south into the GS then rode it east towards So Riding Rock. Was an easy overnight sail and arrived at So Riding Rock in the afternoon. Anchored up there, spent the night then the next day sailed east across the bank to the mouth of the NW Passage. Anchored up there preparing for an easy sail the next day through the NW Passage, headed south to Morgan's Bluff and had a very pleasant check-in experience the next day. Also grabbed some BTC Sim cards then headed to the south side of Nassau anchored on the lee side hiding from a N wind. The next day we crossed to Norman's Cay and started enjoying the Exumas.
Old 21-01-2019, 07:42   #10

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Key West to Exumas in February

We do Marathon>Bimini>Berries>Nassau route....

Although we have not done so, I agree with the sentiment of leaving from Key Largo if you are already kinda north. Otherwise... leave out of Marathon.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exumas, key west