Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2017, 20:49   #31
Marine Service Provider

Re: ITA 14.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatservo View Post
Apparently this boat is all electric, Voyage has one as well...

meatservo
Not just electric, it's offered in both Volvo Penta D2-40 diesel or Oceanvolt hybrid versions.
catmancan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 20:54   #32

Boat: wanting a cat

Thanks Don! I must have missed it on the website.

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:26   #33
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Thanks Don! I must have missed it on the website.

meatservo
You didn't miss it because the ITA web site only mentions hybrid propulsion. Nothing wrong with your eyes!

In Europe the momentum for cleaner energy is quite high. From what I understand EU countries provide certain incentives and environmental classifications for various industries including the yacht building sector.

The specifications and base price for both versions are available. Don
catmancan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 15:21   #34

Thanks! The more I look at this Cat, the more I like it. Narrowing my search(If I go new) to Lightwave, Voyage, or Seawind. But I am interested in ITA now as well. Definitely like to see it when it is finally splashed.

They claim bridgedeck clearance over three feet fully loaded. Most impressive if it does.

meatservo
Old 10-07-2017, 15:36   #35

Boat: Lagoon 450S

Quote:
Thanks! The more I look at this Cat, the more I like it. Narrowing my search(If I go new) to Lightwave, Voyage, or Seawind. But I am interested in ITA now as well. Definitely like to see it when it is finally splashed.

They claim bridgedeck clearance over three feet fully loaded. Most impressive if it does.

meatservo
Of the boats you mention, I am also looking at the Seawind 1600, waiting for the first boat to be launched which should be soon. Overall, I like the ITA 14.99 design the best and I think it is a reflection of a new generation of boats.

I would encourage you to spend some time understanding the overall design and build approach of the ITA, I have been extremely impressed and plan to hold off on any decision until I see the first one.

Gary
iliohale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 15:38   #36

Agree 100% Gary! Thanks for starting this thread, you rock!
Don says the ITA 14.99 splashes in December!
Italy works for me a lot better than Vietnam or Australia.Really starting to like this cat.

meatservo
Old 11-07-2017, 18:30   #37

Interesting so far. I have my doubts about the hydro electric propulsion system as listed on the website, but if they can make it work, that would be wonderful,

I notices there is no solar discussed or shown so that's a question I have as well. Plus I am not fond of the helm stations being exposed like. Certainly is interesting and I hope they are successful.
rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:24   #38

The few owners I know here in US that had hybrid propulsion were not happy with it. One owner found out the hard way that 15KW electric motors DO NOT equal a 39KW 55hp diesels. KW is KW, simple as that. His boat could only motor at 6.5 kts in flat seas and light winds. Sister ships with the diesels motor at over 9kts into strong winds and steep seas in those conditions the hybrid boat really struggled.

IMO hybrid is only appropriate in certain very narrow use cases (like getting on and off the dock for day sailing). Any more than that and regular diesels are better. It's also easier to find qualified repair people anywhere in the world with standard diesels.

Either way, from what I've read so far, this new ITA boat looks to be an outstanding new offering that will push the market and worth following closely.
Catmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 14:15   #39

Boat: Lagoon 450S

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyman1122 View Post
Interesting so far. I have my doubts about the hydro electric propulsion system as listed on the website, but if they can make it work, that would be wonderful,

I notices there is no solar discussed or shown so that's a question I have as well. Plus I am not fond of the helm stations being exposed like. Certainly is interesting and I hope they are successful.
I don't believe that hybrid systems are fully tested and it will be a while before they are mainstream. I think the technology from the batteries to power generation will continue to improve and at some point hybrid will become the standard. It makes a lot of sense in many ways, but it is not proven enough for me. I am planning to order my boat with diesel engines.

Regarding the helm locations on the ITA, I have seen CAD drawings showing the line of sights which was a big concern of mine. Line of sight on the ITA will not be an issue. I was very close to ordering a Nautitech Open 46 with the twin stern helm stations. After chartering one for 7 days this past May, I found that I really liked the locations of these, exposure was a disadvantage but overall the positives of this location out weighted the negatives. On the ITA the wheels will be able to pivot inboard, what this means in terms of protection I am not sure. Will need to wait until I see the first boat.

Gary
iliohale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 16:47   #40

Boat: Pogo 10,50
ITA 14.99

I wonder where this catamaran will be situated among its competition in terms of weight. The hybrid system seems like a heavy option to begin with, and the luxury expected inside will add its fair amount of materials. I say this as comparison have been maid with Outremer which keep spartian interiors to achieve low weights without going full carbon. On the other side, the gunboat 68 produced in the same place will have different fitting options with modular/removable interior components fore race days. Even though I know this is not in the same league by any mean (2 hulls per year for the 68, doubling Outremer's turn over) I wonder if such option, or if other measures have been taken for performance.

Sincerely,
The Dude
CbroTheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 01:07   #41

From what I have seen the the ITA steering is not located as far back or outboard as the classic Catanas and IMO is better placed. It will provide good sight lines to the opposite fwd bow, allow you to see the shape of the sails while sailing and better interact with people on the rear deck. The steering should be precise and give some feedback and might make sailing the boat a lot of fun. I like the ITA steering placement better than wheels that are mounted on the rear bulkhead (Outremer) as this inhibits salon visibility to the rear (no window) and you are just as exposed and a little more removed from people hanging out on the rear deck but you can see all four corners. Steering placement on cats is one of those "religious" topics and potentially contentious.

The weight of the ITA is projected to be roughly the same as the Outremer/Balance 52 about -10T-10.5T and they should perform similarly with similar sized rig, the Balance having a slight advantage with a little more waterline length.

The ITA and Balance are epoxy boats and this is a huge advantage over Outremer or (god forbid) a polyester boat and IMHO worth the extra cost for longevity reasons.

The key question will be in the add-ons (generator/AC/Watermakers ... etc) and how the hull shape can carry a cruising load. Catanas were not the fastest but once you put a cruising load on the boat they became really fast as their performance did not drop off as much as other performance cruising cats. The original Outremer 49's were extended 2' in the transoms to help with load carrying and became the current O-51. The Gunboat 55 is now a Gunboat 57 ... this is not uncommon. The real question is how does the boat sail when it is loaded up with fuel, food, rum and lots of friends and family.

I hope to will find out more later this year when they launch. It appears to be a very well thought out design ... let's see how they execute.
Old 13-07-2017, 15:48   #42

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmandu View Post

The ITA and Balance are epoxy boats and this is a huge advantage over Outremer or (god forbid) a polyester boat and IMHO worth the extra cost for longevity reasons.
I was under the impression that Outremers ARE polyester, just with a vinylester gelcoat. Is that not correct?
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 15:55   #43

SVNeko you may be right. I don't know but that would be an important piece of information to understand if someone was in the market for an Outremer.
Old 13-07-2017, 16:04   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
I was under the impression that Outremers ARE polyester, just with a vinylester gelcoat. Is that not correct?
Vinylester Tie Layer.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 16:25   #45

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

The class of Vinylester resins is a big group with widely varying chemistries. Some are more like polyesters, some are higher solids and more like epoxies. Not surprisingly, the cheaper ones are more like polyesters with high VOCs, and thus possibly more prone to osmosis.

But the good ones that are formulated for marine exterior use are highly resistant to absorbing water as are epoxies, so it makes no difference.

VE's can also have positive characteristics for VIP with less exotherm, lower viscosity, more flexible geltimes etc. so are a good choice for modern boat building techniques.

I think everyone is agreed polyesters are only used as the least cost option, just to save money and some production time. But as Fountaine Pajot owners, even late model FP's, have learned to their dismay, osmosis issues are still a possibility for the unwary, even with the advances in resin chemistries.

Maybe a resin chemist can join the discussion and educate us? I would like to know why some boats still get osmosis even when an underwater barrier coat of epoxy is used, for instance.
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote