Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2018, 09:01   #166

Boat: Lagoon 450S
Re: ITA 14.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Cat View Post
I noticed this ITA in my home port of Loano last week. Presumably Hull1?

It's a beautiful looking cat. The bow makes a statement as does the hull colour. She looks powerful. I was struck by the high hull freeboard - about the same as an Open 46. The helm station was either unfinished or removed, with just a couple of carbon posts. The helm visibility is great - I much prefer that to the Catana 53/open 46 position - especially for mooring. The winches are not to hand and it's a bit of a trek side to side. I would prefer a little more protection at the stern if coming down in a swell - tripping is all too easy.

No one around to ask about price. I would jump at the chance to test sale her.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...1&d=1540299283
Here is some background on this ITA. It is hull #1 and was built for the ITA CEO. He did not want helm seats installed for whatever reason. Hull No. 2 is pretty far along and the owner of this boat is installing the designed seats. I also believe that ITA has a design for the wheels to pivot into the cockpit for steering under the cockpit cover when in poor weather. I have heard some criticism of the running rigging and winch locations to the helm locations. The boat can be set up with power rewind winches that can be controlled at the helm stations for most maneuvers. The boat also has a self tacking blade for close tacking without the need to handle any lines. Every helm location has compromises on a catamaran. I really like the visibility these locations provide. Running the boat on autopilot with all the line controls right in the cockpit is a dream and I think ITA has done a great job of their running rigging set up. These boats are semi-custom and based on my experience I believe the builder will be willing to work with you to make any changes you feel needed from a safety standpoint.

Also, regarding the freeboard of the hulls. The boat is very light and sits very high on the water making it seem like the overall hull height is greater than other heavier boats. Keep that in mind.

Full disclosure, the ITA is on the top of my wish list for purchase so I may be a little biased here.

Gary
iliohale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 10:22   #167

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

And the ITA CEO went with a main traveller instead of the dual mainsheet. I wonder why?

Matt
Old 23-10-2018, 10:40   #168
Marine Service Provider

Since I am on the commercial side with ITA Catamarans, answering your price question might be "off course" in this forum. But replying to your other points I think will be OK. If not, I am sure someone will let me know!

Hull #1 stores the bolsters when not on board. Hull #2 currently under construction will be the first to have the designed helm stations with seats/bolsters and electronic consoles. Sailing from the leeward helm puts the helmsman in easy reach to the primary/secondary/mainsheet winches. Of course tacking requires moving to opposite helm, but sail management system was designed to be easily and safely managed by one.

Freeboard was same height as the McConaghy 60 we were docked next to at Cannes Yacht Festival and the hull color must be this year's color "del giorno" because many other catamarans at the show had similar!

With not having ballast, multihulls are a lot more buoyant, so its' rare to hear of one being pooped by a following sea. However being able to slow a cat down in large following seas so as not to plow into the face of a wave is something to consider when equipping your cat for offshore passages. While tripping from waves broadside (however remote) can be reduced if the cat has daggerboards.

The ITA boatyard is near Fano (Marche region) on the East coast.

If you want to PM me I can send you in the right direction.
catmancan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 10:45   #169
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
And the ITA CEO went with a main traveller instead of the dual mainsheet. I wonder why?

Matt
It's what he was accustom to on his previous Solaris monohull. Hull #2 will have the much easier to use (IMV) bridle mainsheet system.
Old 23-10-2018, 18:28   #170

Boat: PT-11

This cat has rig and sails, so its freeboard is where it is designed to be. Nothing to do with being a lighter cat. Freeboard is the price you pay for standing headroom and a low wetted surface hull, and to me is a fair tradeoff. By tripping, I think he means the helmsman tripping and going over board. Those helms do look a little exposed. Our Switch aft helms were situated low with a GRP bulkhead 2 feet high all around and lifelines at waist height to hand - gave a bit of comfort when the boat started moving. I bet this gets massaged on later ITA's. To me, it looks like a great boat and that elusive thing all cat buyers want - even if they don't realize it. A good compromise between speed and comfort. I don't know a Lagoon owner who wouldn't want another knot or two of boatspeed and owners of stripped out performance cats after a while want a little more space and creature comforts. Those who figure that out up front will appreciate this boat.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 18:32   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmancan2 View Post
It's what he was accustom to on his previous Solaris monohull. Hull #2 will have the much easier to use (IMV) bridle mainsheet system.
I hope not. How do you let the main down to leeward without it popping up and curving? Just what you don't want - a higher COE and a powerful deep sail.
Old 24-10-2018, 00:39   #172

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
I hope not. How do you let the main down to leeward without it popping up and curving? Just what you don't want - a higher COE and a powerful deep sail.

Boom vang? Preventer?

Depending on how wide the sheeting points are they could be as wide as the ends of a traveller would be. No problems if that’s the case.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 07:00   #173
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
This cat has rig and sails, so its freeboard is where it is designed to be. Nothing to do with being a lighter cat. Freeboard is the price you pay for standing headroom and a low wetted surface hull, and to me is a fair tradeoff. By tripping, I think he means the helmsman tripping and going over board. Those helms do look a little exposed. Our Switch aft helms were situated low with a GRP bulkhead 2 feet high all around and lifelines at waist height to hand - gave a bit of comfort when the boat started moving. I bet this gets massaged on later ITA's. To me, it looks like a great boat and that elusive thing all cat buyers want - even if they don't realize it. A good compromise between speed and comfort. I don't know a Lagoon owner who wouldn't want another knot or two of boatspeed and owners of stripped out performance cats after a while want a little more space and creature comforts. Those who figure that out up front will appreciate this boat.
You could be right Neko regarding the tripping point in previous post. Transom lifelines would be a good safety feature, already on hull #2 build list. Fortunately there are no lines on deck to trip over, but having 90 cm high lifelines would also be good for added safety.
Old 24-10-2018, 08:18   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmancan2 View Post
You could be right Neko regarding the tripping point in previous post. Transom lifelines would be a good safety feature, already on hull #2 build list. Fortunately there are no lines on deck to trip over, but having 90 cm high lifelines would also be good for added safety.
I think he was referring to sideways tripping, ie when a wave takes the boat side on, if the dagger boards are raised then the lee hull will slide easier through the water compared to a fin keel or with boards down.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 12:34   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
I think he was referring to sideways tripping, ie when a wave takes the boat side on, if the dagger boards are raised then the lee hull will slide easier through the water compared to a fin keel or with boards down.
That's the theory but didn't seem like that is what he was talking about from the context.
Old 25-10-2018, 03:38   #176

Catmancan2

A CEO with a monohull background? Wasn’t that the case at Discovery Yachts? (Just kidding, looks like you’ve done a much better job).

What is the equivalent output of the saildrives in HP and what is the KWh/boatspeed curve and for how long? If each saildrive is 15kw (i.e. 30kw max output) and there is a 15kw generator the saildrives will draw more than the genset output. The generator won’t operate at max output for a long period, then there will be instruments to power etc..

The Torqueedo 1003 is about 1kw and estimated to be 3hp. On that basis, a 15kw saildrive would be around 45-50hp. In which case the saildrives would need to be run at about 40% with the genset to be in equilibrium, or in other words around 1200 rpm for typical cruising cat diesel engines and which would, in turn, drive the boat at about 5-6 knots on a flat sea, no headwind. Am I correct?

The equivalent output interests me. I commented on the freeboard. I notice this in two situations – picking up mooring buoys (which cannot easily be done from the bow with a 2m+ freeboard) and windage. Dealing with windage just takes practice, but there is no substitute for having a decent amount of power in the engines to overcome it. This of course, assumes there is enough reserve charge in the batteries when you need it.

Why is the boat in Loano? Is the boss doing test sails from there, or is it to get the boat down to Cannes/LGM when required?
Naughty Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 06:53   #177

Boat: Catalina 42

It looks even faster without the seats! That's a hotrod looking boat. I hope they succeed. Anyone know how they are financed?
SFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 07:44   #178
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Cat View Post
Catmancan2

A CEO with a monohull background? Wasn’t that the case at Discovery Yachts? (Just kidding, looks like you’ve done a much better job).

What is the equivalent output of the saildrives in HP and what is the KWh/boatspeed curve and for how long? If each saildrive is 15kw (i.e. 30kw max output) and there is a 15kw generator the saildrives will draw more than the genset output. The generator won’t operate at max output for a long period, then there will be instruments to power etc..

The Torqueedo 1003 is about 1kw and estimated to be 3hp. On that basis, a 15kw saildrive would be around 45-50hp. In which case the saildrives would need to be run at about 40% with the genset to be in equilibrium, or in other words around 1200 rpm for typical cruising cat diesel engines and which would, in turn, drive the boat at about 5-6 knots on a flat sea, no headwind. Am I correct?

The equivalent output interests me. I commented on the freeboard. I notice this in two situations – picking up mooring buoys (which cannot easily be done from the bow with a 2m+ freeboard) and windage. Dealing with windage just takes practice, but there is no substitute for having a decent amount of power in the engines to overcome it. This of course, assumes there is enough reserve charge in the batteries when you need it.

Why is the boat in Loano? Is the boss doing test sails from there, or is it to get the boat down to Cannes/LGM when required?
Grazie NC. Many of us are converts and multihulls continue to be the fastest growing segment in the sailboat market. And now we are seeing more sailors looking to narrow the gap between volume/creature comforts and performance. Look no further than Lagoon who announced at Cannes a new line of better performing catamarans.

1 HP = .75 KWh so a 15 KWh electric motor would equal approx a 20 HP diesel engine. But please, I know just enough about electric or hybrid propulsion to be dangerous! Best to contact Oceanvolt direct (Christian Hallberg is sales director). If you live in IT or Northern Europe I am sure both OV and Torqueedo should be at METS next month. And better yet, there is a CF thread or two regarding electric propulsion that is very active with a couple of members sharing real-world hybrid experience.

#1 owner lives near Verona, so it is only a little longer drive to Loano then to Fano. And as you know Liquria is a lovely region and the mountains can provide some good winds. And yes, #1 is better located for the LGM boat show next April and where we are currently doing sea trials with serious prospects. I should be there later next month for what should be some chilly sailing (I live in Florida)!
Old 25-10-2018, 07:56   #179
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFer View Post
It looks even faster without the seats! That's a hotrod looking boat. I hope they succeed. Anyone know how they are financed?
Deep pockets! But don't leave your brains at the door of any builder. If you're interested in a new build don't step over a dollar to pick up a dime. Get legal consul regardless if the builder is local or in another country or a new builder or one in business for decades.
Old 25-10-2018, 08:59   #180

Catmancan2,

Any information on initial performance or notes or impressions from the test sails?
Catmandu is offline   Reply With Quote