Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 20-10-2011, 03:08   #946
Marine Service Provider

Re: Importing a Boat to Australia

On the way to Tassie I recommend Narooma, Merimbula, Lakes Entrance and Refuge Cove and then Flinders Island as your last stop. Have contacts at Cape Barron Flinders Island if that helps, as well as Narooma and Lakes Entrance.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2011, 01:10   #947

Boat: Fastback 32 cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
In Australia you do not need any qualification or a certificate to work on the electrics anywhere where you are plugged into mains via extension lead. For example you can work on a heater, air compressor, hair dryer etc, but not on the mains itself, such as a powerpoint or hooking up a light fitting -WITHIN a premises.

There is no law against completely wiring up a boat yourself as this is not mains power as such as it will only ever be connected via an extension cord.
Not true,the very least you need to work on even a portable appliance is a restricted electrical workers licence(which is very restricted).
Ian R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 14:20   #948

Boat: Fastback 32 cat.

I have attached a pdf file from msq queensland reguarding boat electrics.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf pdf_mib_rec_craft_electrical_stds_licences.pdf (103.1 KB, 114 views)
Ian R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 15:03   #949

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian R View Post
I have attached a pdf file from msq queensland reguarding boat electrics.
Ian
That sounds like a really stiff set of requirements. You have to have a licensed electrician work on your 12v wiring, and the wiring has to be updated if it doesn't comply with the current color coding!!! Have these guys ever seen a 20 year old cruising boat?
Old 24-10-2011, 15:05   #950
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Nope - thats not what it says. 12 Volt wiring is ELV (Extra Low Voltage) feel free to deal with ELV yourself.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 06:01   #951

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Nope - thats not what it says. 12 Volt wiring is ELV (Extra Low Voltage) feel free to deal with ELV yourself.
I should have known that in Oz speak Low Voltage does not mean 12v
Old 27-10-2011, 07:06   #952

Boat: Able 50

I posted this way on this thread a while back and am doing it again. I only select this thread because I feel it will get the best coverage among Australians wanting to buy a boat from another country.

If any of you are able to quickly change your money to another currency then today - Friday 28 October - would be a really good day to do it. As I post the official rate is USD1.069. If you can't then I understand because I can't either but I'm just trying to help. Seven days to go and I can practice what I preach. Good luck.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 14:55   #953

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
I posted this way on this thread a while back and am doing it again. I only select this thread because I feel it will get the best coverage among Australians wanting to buy a boat from another country.

If any of you are able to quickly change your money to another currency then today - Friday 28 October - would be a really good day to do it. As I post the official rate is USD1.069. If you can't then I understand because I can't either but I'm just trying to help. Seven days to go and I can practice what I preach. Good luck.
Savour, what exchange org have you found to give the best rates?
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 15:22   #954

I haven't done the business yet. Two weeks to go for me. Another poster recommended Ozforex. They were 2 1/4% better than NAB when I checked.
Old 27-10-2011, 15:27   #955

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
I haven't done the business yet. Two weeks to go for me. Another poster recommended Ozforex. They were 2 1/4% better than NAB when I checked.
Thats on of the options the other one i have been exploring is opening a CITIBANK account which has similar rates.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 18:12   #956
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Thanks again for all the advice and help from the users of this forum and this thread in particular. I started seriously thinking about buying a boat overseas to import to Australia a few months ago and have found this topic very helpful, as well as some advise from individual users here on the forum.

I narrowed my search to a lagoon 380 and was looking at buying used, however current rates, VAT, and used prices led me to looking at buying new.

I just returned from 6 weeks in Europe, went to la Rochelle boat show and ordered a new 380 that I will take delivery of from the factory early next year.

As far as foreign exchange, I found that ozforex were very good. I used them to transfer the deposit and yesterday used them to buy forward cover for the final payment at the spot rate of .75. I did check a few other banks (NAB, westpac, amex, and a few others and found ozforex to be he best rate as well as fantastic personal service. When you phone you speak directly with a broker who takes his time to explain all the options and never rushes you off the phone, and I found this with all the brokers and staff I talked to there (4 or 5).

Anyway, now I can concentrate on the next stage, paperwork and organising fitting of a few extras and safety gear etc on delivery. No doubt I will have a few more questions and e conbing the threads for information.

Thanks again , especially to the few people I spoke with directly, all the advice has been invaluable
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 19:07   #957

Boat: Prout Event 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Aussie_Sequoia

I used Ozforex to buy my boat in N. America. They saved me thousands, but I would have saved thousands more if I had taken Savoirs advice about when to get the money out. Doh!
Aussie_Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2011, 00:17   #958

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
I just returned from 6 weeks in Europe, went to la Rochelle boat show and ordered a new 380 that I will take delivery of from the factory
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Was your decision to buy new in France rather than from the Australian importers in order to cruise on the delivery home, or was there a significant cost saving to be made?

The "ex-factory" prices advertised for Lagoons and Leopards seem very attractive compared with the asking prices for used boats in Australia. The catch may be the "add-ons" that may not have been mentioned such as commissioning, etc.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2011, 02:38   #959

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_Sequoia View Post
I used Ozforex to buy my boat in N. America. They saved me thousands, but I would have saved thousands more if I had taken Savoirs advice about when to get the money out. Doh!
I have a couple more tips that might suit some of you.

All the big banks have foreign currency accounts. You can buy Euros or USD now at the right rate that will be locked in while you go boat shopping. Could be a smart move if AUD falls.

CBA are seriously short of cash so they are offering crazy deals to get it. They have a call account paying 5.75%. Yes it is a suck in and that rate is both variable and only good for 3 months but they guarantee to pay 1% above market. If you can't find your dream boat in that time then the problem deserves to be yours. Details here

Personal - Bank accounts - Savings accounts - Netbank Saver - Rates and Fees - Commonwealth Bank Group
Old 28-10-2011, 03:16   #960

Boat: Catalina 42 Pacific cruise to Australia

I'm about to apply to export my yacht from US, I understand a customs agent is the way to go to get "Export Declaration Document", costing around $50-$100. Anybody have first hand experience of this?
Jamel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia