Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2016, 14:02   #1

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.
Hydraulic drive for Catamaran?

Does anyone know of a Cat manufacturer who uses a hydraulic drive system utilizing a single diesel engine to drive the hydraulic motors. Other than only having one engine, I see a few advantages with this idea. Less cost for one less engine, and much cheaper drive motors. Less weight with again one less engine and hardware plus drive motors . Any opinions please?
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 14:56   #2

Re: Hydraulic drive for Catamaran?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
Does anyone know of a Cat manufacturer who uses a hydraulic drive system utilizing a single diesel engine to drive the hydraulic motors. Other than only having one engine, I see a few advantages with this idea. Less cost for one less engine, and much cheaper drive motors. Less weight with again one less engine and hardware plus drive motors . Any opinions please?
Heavenly twins (older English cat builder) offered this as an option, no idea how common it was (I know of one with this set up, so there are some out there).

Maybe you can find some more info here:Heavenly Twins Catamarans
Iodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 16:40   #3
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:

Our old Cherokee had this setup. If you figure the weight of the 3 hydraulic pumps, the hydraulic fluid and reservoir and the massive amount of hydraulic hoses and fittings that make this system work, you would probably save more weight having a second diesel. That and the fact that it is a terribly Inefficient setup. I know the cost of the system we had was far greater than a diesel to replace.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 16:57   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I doubt there would be any cost savings. But if you wanted to drive the two propulsion motors off of one diesel I am willing to bet that going electric would be far cheaper and easier.

As I have mentioned on DE threads I think this is a silly idea, but doing it with hydrolic would be even worse.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 17:48   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

There was a cat in San Diego, which I believe Ian Farrier built, which had hydarulic drives. They had a Very high pitched whine, which you could literally hear for miles. It sounded just like a torpedo, & was as annoying as F**k. Even if you were 3nm away when they took the boat out.
She had a Really goofy layout too.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 17:58   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Google " Fisher catamaran images" They built 28' 34' and 37' cats with hydraulic drives from a single Pathfinder diesel.
Old 29-03-2016, 18:07   #7
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Google " Fisher catamaran images" They built 28' 34' and 37' cats with hydraulic drives from a single Pathfinder diesel.

The Catfisher was built as a 28' and 32' catamaran. The 28'er had the single diesel with hydraulic drive set up. The 32 was a single diesel with Sonic outdrive. The 37'er was proposed but I don't believe ever built.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 18:49   #8

Boat: Catfisher sloop w/ Mercedes & Catfisher 28' w/ Kubota

Hi Captlloyd, I have a Fisher catamaran 28' that has this set up & I love it. It has a 37.5 hp Kubota diesel with hydraulic pump that drives two hydraulic motors (a little bigger than a softball) that turn a shaft in each hull. It's like driving a zero turn lawn mower. I can turn it in it's own length. The burn rate is approx. 1 gallon per hour & I cruise around 6 mph. I have folding props on each shaft. The space savings allows for two forward staterooms, an aft 3/4 berth, a kitchen, a bathroom, both inside & outside steering, a large pilot house with map table, and electronics all with stand up headroom. It is more of a motor sailer. I would consider this a coastal cruiser, not a blue water boat. Send me a PM if you need extra information. I also have a Privilege 39 that does have an engine in each hull, so I know the difference.
Huey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 19:06   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey2 View Post
Hi Captlloyd, I have a Fisher catamaran 28' that has this set up & I love it. It has a 37.5 hp Kubota diesel with hydraulic pump that drives two hydraulic motors (a little bigger than a softball) that turn a shaft in each hull. It's like driving a zero turn lawn mower. I can turn it in it's own length. The burn rate is approx. 1 gallon per hour & I cruise around 6 mph. I have folding props on each shaft. The space savings allows for two forward staterooms, an aft 3/4 berth, a kitchen, a bathroom, both inside & outside steering, a large pilot house with map table, and electronics all with stand up headroom. It is more of a motor sailer. I would consider this a coastal cruiser, not a blue water boat. Send me a PM if you need extra information. I also have a Privilege 39 that does have an engine in each hull, so I know the difference.
Thanks for all of your replies CF members.
As to your Fisher 28', how would you rate the noise level as ''Uncivilized'' has brought up one of my concerns, I to have a 54'' zero-turn mower and it does not seem to be that noisy. And thank you too.
Old 29-03-2016, 19:29   #10

Boat: Catfisher sloop w/ Mercedes & Catfisher 28' w/ Kubota

Mine isn't that loud. The prior owner routed the exhaust out behind the port hull which helped on noise issues also. Both hydraulic motors and the pump have been replaced on this 1978 model. The engine hatch should use good "sound deadening" material. We are going on some extended trips this summer so I'll let you know. I plan on downwind sailing and upwind motoring. You will lose approx. 15% efficiency using hydraulics however. Good luck
Huey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 01:07   #11

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Any opinions please?
First cat I ever skippered was a Star Twins 34 (from the designer of Heavenly Twins) It had a single diesel with twin hydraulic drive. It was fine except when manoeuvring in close quarters. With both at idle speed ahead you'd be trundling along nice and slowly but as soon as you brought one back to neutral prior to engaging astern, the one left forward would DOUBLE its speed. Very disconcerting and awkward. I suppose the correct method would have been to put both sides to neutral and then engage one forward and one astern at the same time but as I only had a weekend aboard I didn't work that out at the time.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 07:03   #12

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Drove a trimaran once that had one diesel and two hydraulically operated shafts/propellers. The really aggravating part was that you could not operate just one shaft with the other in neutral, it was either both or none.
Old 30-03-2016, 07:14   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Drove a trimaran once that had one diesel and two hydraulically operated shafts/propellers. The really aggravating part was that you could not operate just one shaft with the other in neutral, it was either both or none.
I would say that the vessel was most definitely plumbed wrong in that case. Skid loaders, zero-turns, track-hoes will all operate on one side or the other.
Old 30-03-2016, 08:11   #14

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
I saw one listed just recently. She was older but powered just that way. Wish I could remember the Mfg.. Seems she was 40'. and listed in the 60K range.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 08:31   #15

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

I worked on a Buddy Ebsen PolyCon that had a single, air-cooled Yanmar diesel with twin hydraulic outdrives that tilted up completely clear of the water.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran