Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2019, 22:09   #271

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Re: How many cats have flipped ?

FWIW, 3 Geminis have tipped over, out of 1200 of them, Over 30 years of Production,
They were all racing with full sails up and turned to come about and got blown over,
That was more to point of having the Leeward centre Board down and it dug in stopping the Gems from sliding down the waves and rolling them over when they were Beam on to the waves,

I did it accidentely when the GPS dropped out and turned me beam on to the waves,
I was at 70 degrees before I got it turned back down the waves, Very scary moment, I now travel with the Leeward side Centreboard up,

I have to turn into the wind to lower my main sail, It then drops easily into the lazy jacks, It jams in any other wind position and wont go up or down, PITA,

I have a twelve metre mast off the deck,
34 foot long and 14 feet wide,
After travelling hundreds of miles, with the wind between 90 degrees and DDW.
Working off the GPS for speed, I tried all points with the Main sail fully up, and the Genoa fully out on both sides,

I got a whole one knot increase in speed, It just wasnt worth the effort to put the main up again, so I tied it down and continued with the Genoa only,
I did 3000 Nmiles like that according to the GPS,

With the Genoa out a foot or fully extended, I kept my Gemini 105mc at between 7 and 10 knots in all the conditions I encountered, Including 20 foot waves,
My Genoa is operated from the cockpit, So I dont have to go out on the Bow at any time,
If I do, I am connected to my Jackline under the boom, Which is tied off so it cant move, I no longer use the main or boom, So I tied it off solidly,

The bow of my Gemini is some thing else in bad weather, So best avoided at all costs,

If you want to see how Multi's travel in huge seas and high winds,
Try Youtube, Crossing the Southern Ocean in forty foot waves in a Multihull,

As my Gemini drives itself, Look Mum, No hands, I spend most of my time sitting on the hammock out the back in all weather and conditions,
I just have a chest harness on just in case, But it is level and flat in all conditions, Even when it rains, I still dont get wet as I have a canopy over it,

Cheers, Brian,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	368.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	418.1 KB
ID:	194713  
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 04:13   #272
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
FWIW, 3 Geminis have tipped over, out of 1200 of them, Over 30 years of Production,

They were all racing with full sails up and turned to come about and got blown over,

That was more to point of having the Leeward centre Board down and it dug in stopping the Gems from sliding down the waves and rolling them over when they were Beam on to the waves,

I did it accidentely when the GPS dropped out and turned me beam on to the waves,

I was at 70 degrees before I got it turned back down the waves, Very scary moment, I now travel with the Leeward side Centreboard up,

I have to turn into the wind to lower my main sail, It then drops easily into the lazy jacks, It jams in any other wind position and wont go up or down, PITA,

Working off the GPS for speed, I tried all points with the Main sail fully up, and the Genoa fully out on both sides,

I got a whole one knot increase in speed, It just wasnt worth the effort to put the main up again, so I tied it down and continued with the Genoa only,

With the Genoa out a foot or fully extended, I kept my Gemini 105mc at between 7 and 10 knots in all the conditions I encountered, Including 20 foot waves,

My Genoa is operated from the cockpit, So I dont have to go out on the Bow at any time,

If I do, I am connected to my Jackline under the boom, Which is tied off so it cant move, I no longer use the main or boom, So I tied it off solidly,

The bow of my Gemini is some thing else in bad weather, So best avoided at all costs,

As my Gemini drives itself, Look Mum, No hands, I spend most of my time sitting on the hammock out the back in all weather and conditions,

I just have a chest harness on just in case, But it is level and flat in all conditions, Even when it rains, I still dont get wet as I have a canopy over it,

Cheers, Brian,

I could count over 10 Gemini’s that have flipped and that was well over 10 years ago. A couple went over while motor sailing.
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 05:28   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I could count over 10 Gemini’s that have flipped and that was well over 10 years ago. A couple went over while motor sailing.
I only know of three of them, But there could be more, Like you say,
Old 10-07-2019, 20:06   #274

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

12m catamaran flipped at least 7 miles off the New South Wales coast, off Newcastle.

Three dead. Two rescued.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-...coast/11299410

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/...11-p52699.html

https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/s...wcastle/?cs=12
Old 10-07-2019, 20:35   #275

Boat: Pescott Whitehaven 11.7

That is terrible news ...I feel for the families... there were winds of up to 30 knots out there from the west--they can be very tough winds to sail in up that coast...
Not sure what the design is...
Morph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 20:51   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Thats a prick of a place to sail, Off Port Stephens just a bit north of Newcastle,
After watching the weather reports from there for a few years, It has wind coming in from four directions at once, Its like a mini cyclone,
How the locals there guess the weather, I have no idea,
Any where else in OZ you have constant wind for a few days before changing,
There you get it all in one day,

Shame about the casualtys, RIP,
Old 11-07-2019, 00:50   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
12m catamaran flipped at least 7 miles off the New South Wales coast, off Newcastle.
Registered length was 11.7 m.

Boat was reportedly heading S. Gusts recorded at 37 kn at Newcastle, so likely higher wind offshore. See attached wind chart: Newcastle weather.jpg
Old 11-07-2019, 01:10   #278

Reports of the distance off the coast are confused and misleading.

The shape of the coast in that location is the core of the problem. The problem boils down to exactly from where do you measure. See the attached chartlet.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:29   #279

The reason it can get rough on much of the NSW coast is the Australian east coast current. This is basically a south going current, but with eddies in places, & usually a counter current in the deeper bays.

I once averaged just under 9 knots made good from Port Stephens to Broken Bay, without seeing anything above 5 knots on the speedo. The current can really rip at times, giving very nasty steep seas with a southerly blowing against it.
Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:06   #280

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

It is not how many have flipped, it is how many have rerighted after a flip.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:59   #281
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherchronica View Post

It is not how many sunk it is how many have refloated themselves after sinking
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 13:47   #282

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherchronica View Post

It’s certainly possible to right a flipped cat, but it takes a crane on a barge or a tug or other boat with very powerful engines. IOW, an external force. In both cases, the method is to attach a bridle to the bows, then pull the bows over the sterns. Typically the sterns sit lower and can be made to sink down to hold the boat roughly in place as the bows rise up. I’ve seen this done with a 40 foot racing cat and it needed a sail tensioned between the sterns to provide a tripping force.

But hey, boats get abandoned in open ocean and even if they don’t sink it seems it’s often not practical to salvage them. I guess it’s up to the depth of your pockets or those of your insurance company.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 15:11   #283

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post

Cheers, Brian,
Good on you...
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:05   #284

Boat: Tartan 40

Yikes terrifying but hardly survival conditions right? Daggerboards mean higher performance? Waves caused capsize or breeze?
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 16:09   #285

How Many Catamarans Have Flipped?

https://www.9news.com.au/national/ne...a-54ad9c07c49c
bonebrain is offline   Reply With Quote