Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2017, 17:25   #1

Boat: Leopard 40’
How many blades

I have a 2015 leopard 40 with 29hp yanmar and sd 50 saildrives. Looking to put feathering propellers.how many blades 3, 4, or 5?
tugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 17:27   #2

Boat: Tartan 37
Re: How many blades

You forgot 2 blade, cheaper and more efficient.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2017, 17:54   #3

Boat: None

I have read that the four-blade provides the least vibration -- a quieter and smoother ride while in the midst of a rare motoring event. And that it does so with no loss in efficiency. I don't have one, however, so I'm just repeating something I read elsewhere. For what that makes it worth ..
Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 18:47   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

2-blade Flexofold, in my opinion, gives you the optimal ratio of cost, ease of maintenance, and performance. If you go with the folding props option in a new Yanmar saildrive, that's what they will be.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 21:06   #5

Boat: Leopard 40’

Thanks for the help. I have some time before I buy so I do some research
tugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 04:27   #6

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

As to the "rare motoring event," you'll be luckier than most if that's true!

Regarding folding props, I just had a conversation with a cat dealer who recommended never getting folding props (we were discussing 40-48' sizes) because they make manouvering in tight quarters in marinas difficult. This was the first time I'd ever heard this.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 04:59   #7

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
As to the "rare motoring event," you'll be luckier than most if that's true!

Regarding folding props, I just had a conversation with a cat dealer who recommended never getting folding props (we were discussing 40-48' sizes) because they make manouvering in tight quarters in marinas difficult. This was the first time I'd ever heard this.
Not so.

Catamarans with folding props work just fine.

Catamarans are so efficient with folding props, because when the wind is down you only cruise with one engine.

Catamarans are one of the most efficient boats on the planet for their size, because of this.

We have backed into so many tight places with a 44 foot catamaran with absolutely no backing up issues. We have Volvo Penta 3 blade folding props.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	393.0 KB
ID:	150937   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	396.4 KB
ID:	150938  

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 05:51   #8

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Not so.

Catamarans with folding props work just fine.

Catamarans are so efficient with folding props, because when the wind is down you only cruise with one engine.

Catamarans are one of the most efficient boats on the planet for their size, because of this.

We have backed into so many tight places with a 44 foot catamaran with absolutely no backing up issues. We have Volvo Penta 3 blade folding props.
Thanks Mark,

We're vacationing in Florida and went to see the Leopard 40 & 48 (45 wasn't there). I'd never heard that about folding props, so I'm glad I could post it to share.

The 48 is a beauty, but 5.1' draft is a bunch, esp in the Chesapeake Bay.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 06:04   #9

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
Thanks Mark,

We're vacationing in Florida and went to see the Leopard 40 & 48 (45 wasn't there). I'd never heard that about folding props, so I'm glad I could post it to share.

The 48 is a beauty, but 5.1' draft is a bunch, esp in the Chesapeake Bay.
Leopards are nice catamarans for sure, but the DRAFT is a BIG issue for most cruisers doing the USA east coast, ICW and Bahamas.

It almost has as much draft as the Catalina 380 mono keel boat we used to own with 5.6' draft.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 00:58   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugz View Post
I have a 2015 leopard 40 with 29hp yanmar and sd 50 saildrives. Looking to put feathering propellers.how many blades 3, 4, or 5?
3 blades are more than sufficient, 4 and 5 blades don't add anything in terms of speed, or maneuverability or anything else on a 40' boat, it might be different for large boats (say over 60'), where the inertia of the boat during mooring operations must be contrasted by large blades surface.
On the other side 4 and 5 blades are much heavier (bigger inertia switching from fwd to bkwd), so they could damage the S-Drive gearbox of your S-Drive , they have more drag than a 3 blades (folding ones remain in a closed flower position and feathering anyway offer more drag because of more blades in the water).
EWOL Props is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:09   #11

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

To begin with a propeller there's some constants in play.

To be as efficient as possible:
1# choose the biggest propeller diameter with adequate clearance around (generally 10 to 15% of the diameter)
2# maximum power and rpm for the prop. From there you can determine the blade area. Too small is prone to cavitation, too much lessens the effiency.

Now you can choose the number of blades. How many depends of multiple factors thou best usually with 2 or 3. More only if there's problem with point 2#

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:39   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
To begin with a propeller there's some constants in play.

To be as efficient as possible:
1# choose the biggest propeller diameter with adequate clearance around (generally 10 to 15% of the diameter)
2# maximum power and rpm for the prop. From there you can determine the blade area. Too small is prone to cavitation, too much lessens the effiency.

Now you can choose the number of blades. How many depends of multiple factors thou best usually with 2 or 3. More only if there's problem with point 2#

BR Teddy
Hi Teddy,

I agree with most of your comments, increasing slightly the diam is somewhat helping for sailboat propellers which are relatively slow in rpm, anyway the propeller diameter (and pitch) are something more complicated than filling the space minus 15% of diameter (your point #1), so the largest diameter that you can fit is not a good parameter.
A too large diameter also leads to cavitation, because blade speed is higher at the external edges of the propeller and higher speed = higher risk of cavitation
If needed you can calculate your own prop diam here: Calculate your propeller

BR
Sergio
EWOL Props is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:23   #13

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWOL Props View Post
Hi Teddy,

I agree with most of your comments, increasing slightly the diam is somewhat helping for sailboat propellers which are relatively slow in rpm, anyway the propeller diameter (and pitch) are something more complicated than filling the space minus 15% of diameter (your point #1), so the largest diameter that you can fit is not a good parameter.
A too large diameter also leads to cavitation, because blade speed is higher at the external edges of the propeller and higher speed = higher risk of cavitation
If needed you can calculate your own prop diam here: Calculate your propeller

BR
Sergio
Hi Sergio
You are right of course. Thou most sail boats don't have so much room that too big would become a problem.

I need a quote sometime next winter :-)

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:22   #14

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 cataran

Two years on, we could not be more happy with our two blade Flexifold propellers. Less efficient maneuverability? Bah! These props were a distinct improvement over the stock Volvo fixed two blades.

Fixed blade props have to be a comprise between providing fwd / reverse thrust when running and not creating too much drag when not in use. Folding props eliminate the second constraint and can be optimized for the first.

As for vibration, we have never noticed any.

Why not let the on line Flexifold configuration program, (or helpful human representative) provide guidance based on vessel weight, engine HP, gearbox ratio, prop clearance, etc... They seem to know their business.
sv Grateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:37   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffcard View Post
You forgot 2 blade, cheaper and more efficient.

For aircraft and I assume boats, the fewer the blades the more efficient and lighter. More blades are used when you can't get more blade area by going longer due to RPM tip speed limitations or ground clearance. More blades are usually smoother though. Fewer blades are usually cheaper to buy and maintain as there are fewer moving parts.
Lots of three blade props are sold for small airplanes cause they look cool, same I believe for boats.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote