Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2005, 08:04   #1

Boat: New Bedford 35
Hello all, and a couple of ??s

Hello all ...

I'm very new to boats, sailing, and everthing that's involved - so forgive me if I slip into a state of dumbass.

A couple of quick questions specific to multihullers.

First off, to my limited understanding - the Prout catamarans seem to a very good reputation as accomplished blue-water cruisers - so I am surprised to find so many at the brokerage docks that seem to have a relatively low asking price. Is this a symptom of dated interiors and the absence of the ever-popular 'sugar-scoops' ... or there something more sinister at the root of those low prices?

Secondly - I recently saw some photos of a Fisher catamaran ... the catfisher. The lines of that boat (okay, and the inside steering station, too) really caught my eye. Those boats (their monohull motor-sailor sisters, as well) have a very distinct look, and I like it very much. Does anyone have any knowledge of these boats - the cat or the mono - either one? Is there any reason I shouldn't put a catfisher on my 'short-list' of potential 'next' boats?

Thanks in advance !

- doug
yaitsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 10:19   #2

Boat: PDQ32
cat considerations

I think you will find that catamaran designs have evolved to raise the expectations relative to sailing ability. Some of the earlier cats such as Prout while being generally solid and seaworthy provide performance levels more in line with heavier, full keel monohulls whereas most catamaran buyers these days have an expectation of higher sailing speeds and somewhat better windward ability. Charles Kanter does a good job of putting performance expectations in perspective in his book Cruising in Multihulls. He also reviews a range of cats including Prouts and the Catfisher. I recommend you pick up a copy.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:32   #3

Boat: St. Francis 50
I agree entirely with henryv's comments. We really enjoyed our Voyage 440 (www.voyageyachts.com). They are consistently one of the faster cruising catamarans of their class. The older Norseman 430 is basically the same boat and will sail nearly as well. The 440s have many refinements to all the boat systems and interior which a cruiser would certainly appreciate, but the price is higher (especially now with unfavorable foreign exchange rates).
Old 06-12-2005, 11:35   #4

Boat: New Bedford 35
thanks so much !!

Well that was a very quick reply, thank you !!

An excellent point, as well - I suppose I might've figured that out on my own eventually, but then ... I AM a little slow sometimes

Mr. Kanter's book is on it's way ... gotta love the near instant gratification of internet retail! Thanks for the reference !!
yaitsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 11:35   #5

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
Modern Cats

We to love our Voyage Cat. Makai is a 380 and as mentioned above has many refinemnets to quality, outfitting, design, and speed that are not seen in the older cats. Doesn't make it better or worse just different and it better fits our needs and expectations.

Many are concerned about the prices. I don't belive a boat should be picked based on price. it is an important part but the only criteria.

many think that chosing the old cats that they are getting best of both worlds. Cat have made revolutionary changes insdesigns and materials and it is hard to compare an older Prouts and such to a newer Voyage or other quality builders.

Chose based on your needs but be sure to understand what you are buying no matter what it is. This will reduce bad feelings when you get your boat and sail it.
sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 15:18   #6

Boat: Privilege 37
Here is another link to a Prout owners website. It is one of the most informative personal sites I have come across. Highly recommended.

Keith
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 15:22   #7

Boat: Privilege 37
Okay, Here's the link:

http://www.vonwentzel.net/Prout/index.html

Keith
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 05:47   #8

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
While some older Prouts may seem low priced, I think you will find when compared to other cats of the same age and size, they hold their value quite well.

As a Prout owner, I have never been sorry for my selection. They are heavier and slower than some of the more “modern” cats but many of the modern cats give up strength in the deal. Some of the better selling makes are built IMHO on the cheap. There are some however, that are sturdy enough to be world cruisers.

The link to Cats Pajamas is pretty old. It was serial number 1 and number 1 of anything is prone to learning curve problems. All boat builders have occasional problems with a particular boat. Without statistics to back my opinion, I think Prout had a lower problem rate than other cats.

Again opinion, but I think the reason they went Tango Uniform was there unwillingness to go to cheaper design & manufacturing techniques. They could almost certainly have found a way to be more efficient without reducing quality and reliability, but didn’t make the move.

Some things we like about the Prout over other manufacturers
•Sturdy, I am not worried about the soundness of the boat in rough conditions
•On the sturdy note, compare the standing rigging for size and number of stays against other cats
•Solid for-deck as opposed to trampolines
•Lower freeboard, easier to handle around the dock in a breeze
•Conservative rig makes it easier for short handing
•Galley is down but still very open to the cockpit
•I like the style; she doesn’t look like a floating condominium

Some things we miss
•Speed and windward performance could be better
•A little more room in the cockpit would be nice but only a little
•The bath tub wastes space but some Prouts have a locker here
•I'm not sure the cutter rig adds much performance and it makes tacking tougher

You can see a lot more about her at www.stateham.com/sunspotbaby

Sunspot Baby
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2008, 02:57   #9

Send a message via AIM to b.gardner@ymail
broad blue took over Prout
b.gardner@ymail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 12:45   #10

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Well kinda but not really. Some of the principals in Prout acquire molds and rights to the 38 and started the new company Broad Blue.

There is now a company building boats in Asia using the Prout name and logo and claiming their lineage.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 08:34   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
I have to applaud HenryV's anwer to your question: elegant, dead on accurate, and gentle.

When you consider the difference in performance between a a Prout 37 and a Stallion 380, you conclude that $200,000 gets you somewhere in about 2/3 the time.

What's in YOUR wallet?
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote