Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2020, 14:02   #16

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Re: Heavy tide swing, bridle coming backwards between the hulls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
put extra chain in for stability after attaching bridle and finetune rudders so boat does not rotate.

I dont see any benefit of 2 anchors as on tide change boat will rotate 180 deg but pull on anchor will still be in same direction, if wind remains same direction.
I was talking about a second anchor from the stern, so that the boat is always facing the same direction, with the tide either coming from the bow or the stern. Though I guess you meant the two anchor mooring suggestion - yea, I don't think it would help this situation either.

In a strong tidal flow, the Bahamian may be better in strong winds, but I usually prefer fore and aft.

Old 06-06-2020, 16:05   #17

I had a similar problem on a mooring in a bay. No wind, slight tide current in close to the beach. The large mooring buoy kept bashing inside the hulls. No matter what I’d did, including try to turn her around with engines, could stop it running between the hulls. Being a no anchor zone meant I couldn’t put an aft anchor out. I ended up idling one of the motors in reverse for a couple of hours so I could get some sleep. There must be a better solution.
Ssas5342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 16:21   #18

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn_Black View Post
I'm not sure that would help in OP's situation though. In their case it sounds like the conditions caused them to go forward directly over their tackle.
This is correct. It seems to be the “in thing” for all the catamarans to do around here
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 16:24   #19
kcj

Boat: Lagoon 470, ex corsair f31

For moorings, ie st aug, i used a modified bridle... take the tether to stay the port hull, and run a second dock line from stb hull to the base of the tether, on top of the ball..keep these lines short...then the ball can't hit the hulls, or the down guys...

Not figured out a solution when anchored...generally survived with the spin halyard attached to sprit...
kcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 23:19   #20

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
I meant in general. I have anchored like that on Gran Bahamas Banks with no problems. But then I'm a freediver and always check my gear and the bottom. I am not 100% clear on why you think 2 point anchoring is is bad for monohulls in this situation.
I am talking about strong currents and deep murky water, places where you could not possibly free dive to see the anchor. Rivers, SF Bay, La Paz. If the current is strong in the reverse direction, and you are hanging on a stern anchor, there is a lot more stress put on the anchor, the rode and the rudder. I have been caught this way, and what I had to do is to put a line on the bow, lead it around everything to the stern and attach it to the stern anchor line. Then slack off the stern anchor line, the current swings the boat around and it rides happily from the bow. Stern anchors occasionally have good use, but not in a current in my experience, which has been 100% monohull. Maybe a multihull would ride more easily but it's like being towed backwards, so I am not a fan of that.

I have a big old CQR and it never had a problem resetting itself just fine when the current reverses. Hung out for a couple months unattended in the harbor at La Paz, which has up to 2 knots current reversing twice every day. Boat was still in same place when we returned.

I think a "Bahamian Mooring" (hope I got that right) where two anchors are set in opposite directions but both from the bow, would be fine.
Old 07-06-2020, 00:43   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
I am talking about strong currents and deep murky water, places where you could not possibly free dive to see the anchor. Rivers, SF Bay, La Paz. If the current is strong in the reverse direction, and you are hanging on a stern anchor, there is a lot more stress put on the anchor, the rode and the rudder. I have been caught this way, and what I had to do is to put a line on the bow, lead it around everything to the stern and attach it to the stern anchor line. Then slack off the stern anchor line, the current swings the boat around and it rides happily from the bow. Stern anchors occasionally have good use, but not in a current in my experience, which has been 100% monohull. Maybe a multihull would ride more easily but it's like being towed backwards, so I am not a fan of that.

I have a big old CQR and it never had a problem resetting itself just fine when the current reverses. Hung out for a couple months unattended in the harbor at La Paz, which has up to 2 knots current reversing twice every day. Boat was still in same place when we returned.

I think a "Bahamian Mooring" (hope I got that right) where two anchors are set in opposite directions but both from the bow, would be fine.
I see what you're saying, although it wouldn't apply to a canoe stern monohull, and the rudder can be locked. But yes, as always, it depends on your situation. Though personally I disagree, i had no problems in Gran Bahamas Banks in my monohull anchored fore-n-aft, and the tide there comes in and out at over 2 knots. Perhaps it depends on your hull, but i found that I would sit pretty comfortably with the tide astern. Though part of my reason for doing so was that I was anchored on the gulf stream side, near an inlet, and there was usually some swell entering, so it was always more comfortable to face the sea with the tide either ahead or astern.
Old 07-06-2020, 00:46   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahbrown View Post
This is correct. It seems to be the “in thing” for all the catamarans to do around here
Yea, sometimes there is not a choice in some areas if everyone is doing it, as you don't have room to swing. Conversely, if no-one is doing it, you can have problems with people entering the anchorage and assuming that you will swing with the tide but don't.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:37   #23

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

My Gemini Cat always has the anchor chain between the hulls,
The Transom always faces the wind on anchor,
Irrespective whether I am on a short scope or long scope,
I dont have a crowd problem when Anchoring, So I can run out as much chain as I like,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:01   #24

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

We use an old motorcycle on a short rope on one of the transom for this.
Can also be used to slow the boat down when running in following seas.

In France folks use traffic cones on a rope for the same purpose. In this case the large opening needs to be set towards the current.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:05   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post

In France folks use traffic cones on a rope for the same purpose. In this case the large opening needs to be set towards the current.
Car tyres are useful for this, they also make good roll preventers if filled with rocks or concrete and lying horizontally, not that you need that on a cat.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:55   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post

Also, if what you're doing works for you, then stick with it, of course. But I would say to others that want to try a fore-n-aft anchoring and are having issues like that (even with the rudder secured) is to try having either one or two anchors off each quarter, or a single stern anchor attached with a bridle between both quarters.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:17   #27

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Agree, but a drag device of some sorts seems always easier to handle than 1-2 extra anchors.
Less chance of tangling stuff up to when the tides changes.
Quote:
Also, if what you're doing works for you, then stick with it, of course. But I would say to others that want to try a fore-n-aft anchoring and are having issues like that (even with the rudder secured) is to try having either one or two anchors off each quarter, or a single stern anchor attached with a bridle between both quarters.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:30   #28

Quote:
Agree, but a drag device of some sorts seems always easier to handle than 1-2 extra anchors.
Less chance of tangling stuff up to when the tides changes.
There is no reason to get things tangled up with a fore-n-aft anchoring. Rarely will the tidal range be greater than the length of the ship. I row my second anchor out (although the tide does most of the work there), with an extra ratio of scope or two, then haul it back in by hand to set it, leaving just a little slack on it when it is not in the uptide position. Sometimes it may move a little on the first tide as it sets deeper, but there is no reason for it to drag more after that if it has the correct scope etc. Most people's second anchor are chain and rode, so require more scope. I would row out at least a 7:1 scope in this case, with the idea of it finally setting at 5:1 or more.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:33   #29

Quote:

Must be difficult retrieving the motorcycle!
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:34   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
Must be difficult retrieving the motorcycle!
Hehe, I was wondering about that too... I guess she meant a motorcycle wheel though.

Tags
bridle, hull