Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-11-2012, 05:27   #76
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: have a question for catamaran owners

southern star--i cannot attack catamarans--they have and fit a purpose, as does every boat built.
trying to understand a construct that is different from one's own can yield folks living under or on that construct having bad feelings--an insecure feeling about the potential for bashing--this was never intended to be a bash on cats--i merely sought information,.
factor, if you believe i was trying to bash you and your precious, FUGEDDABOUDIT. you are wrong. but , then, you are not always the best tachers assistant.
cheechako--i appreciate your info--but i still would like to see someone from monoville receive info without being panned by a multiowner. nt all requests are an initiation of bad will to cats.. isnt like canine vs feline problems--
thing is--WHEN soneone HITS another and accomplishes damages to the extent of the damages created in this articular case, there will be someone calling fault. inmexico the individual with most to lose usually does. that is the cat owner--we trying to not have him lose his charter--uness we learn h is stallinhg or causing problems. then we pull out our big guns and get him to lose said charter. that is easy, as he is a foreigner in mexico--he needs mexican capt--he had none. he also committed collision in open anchorage in an open bay. was an eyeball vs through the gums problem. man did not see any lights that were blazing in front of his face, at his eye level. some driver. how is he on a freeway!!!! there were 5 souls on deck, dancing. none mexian. none knowledgeable as to how to extricate one set of rigging from another without creating more damage--not bad enough the at was driven up and over the mono--a 45 ft steelie, at that--lol is impressive--i still have problem understanding ho the cat only got a paint chip and steelie was the big damage recipient..things are built like tanks!!! that is impressive...we are laughing at this one, and steelie owner is saying that i twas time to change cockpit decor anyway--LOL--we laughing, now that the damages were actually a superficial and very pricey kind--3 outboards crushed, yes, crushed, and binnacle, now re sized and re installed--lol he is fast worker--and the aries -- he neeeds to fabricate pieces for that...some went into drink--as wellas the other bits---and th e cat owner is able to get away from this scott free---he is a most fortunate soul to have hit the steelie he hit--coulda been some freeky damages had he hit and run over someone else.....
as for factor--you havebeen consistent in your delivery of info to me-- mebbe someday you can receive the same quality info you have so consistently given me in your deepest and darkest hour of attempting to learn something you do not already know....
no, that was not tongue in cheek
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:55   #77
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Zeehag, after your initial post it was clear that you were not attacking catamarans per se, but seeking information. My comments were directed at another post, that as Factor has suggested, was probably intended as a joke. Seems like I started the day with a short-trigger! Apologies.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:30   #78

is all good-i drank my mocha before i started--our new problem is the briggsy generator that was on back deck didnt like being treated like a claymore mine and detonated into the guy just this am--ouchies--we get to go mining in skin and flesh today de-fragging the man--
southern star--i love ye--you didnt frag me--lol--i duck well sometimes-- but only if the mocha was divine.....and emergency room is filled to capacity......

somethings in life must be faced with humor or it becomes too much to tolerate--this man is renamed calamity james and is my crew for my relocation in less than 2 weeks--anyone got a prayer guide--mine seems to be wearing out.....rapidly..
and so i got this radio call this am---asking if i heard the "whoomph" noise--i denied hearing it--and the story of the briggs and stratton genny was splained--i think i need a magic hat....but--for all anchor outs--YAY-- the briggs genny wont make noise anymore--BUT...(biiig sigh) now y'all see how this could get humorous..?????
Old 08-11-2012, 08:04   #79

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
you have never seen a boating incident, have you??(See post #21) you would be surprised what happens. the cat was ON TOP of the steelie's cockpit. steelie did not have split backstays UNTIL AFTER THE INCIDENT--(Ahh, this is new information) upon reversing, the cat was ready to dismast the steelie--as all stays and halyards and dodgers and sternrails were all intertwined --chunks of wood used for companionway trim were rammed off the boat with a hole size of nose of cat....this as a serious mis-judgement on the rt of the cat driver. at 5 kts boat speed.(My point exactly)
do not make judgements you do not understand. this is an actual incident, not a theoretical one.
Zee,

The first paragraph of my post was to point out that one does not have to be drunk to screw up. Accidents happen. My heart goes out to the victim and if the skipper of the cat was drunk and on drugs, as you have repeatedly said, then I say let him fry. I don't want folks like that on the same ocean as me. But if he was not, and you have not supplied any evidence that he was, then slandering the guy on the internet is unkind at best and possibly unwise from an insurance perspective, as has been pointed out by others.

The second paragraph was an honest attempt to answer your original question concerning what we cat owners have at the front of our boats that could cause such damage given the information that I had. You have described both a wire and an extrusion the size of your mast. That sounds like the typical arrangement that most cats have. The wire supports the forestay loads and the extrusion handles the compression loads between the hulls. These are of necessity very robust and could easily cause the damage to your friend's boat, including taking out the backstay, that you describe.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:23   #80

mikereed--there is a drinkie here in mexico which deeply affects reaction time due to hallucinogenic effects--gringos tend to love this stuff--ricea---very hallucinogenic-- incidents like these happen usually when someone doent have the ability to SEE. the lights on the victims boat were bright and in the eye level of the cat driver. there were 5 souls on deck dancing. they merely drove up and onto the steelie mono hull at 5 kts because of......... surely cannot be because of an honest mistake, as this particular charter boat knows who is anchored--especially when the anchored boat has been in same place for a month. this is a weird incident--involves tank built cat and a steelie --wow--and steelie lost--is impressive. i was of the thought steelies were stronger than cats-- my bad---
i am kinda glad the 2 mexican captains are on the side of the steelie--they are trimaran drivers--this isnt a mono vs multi discrepancy--is a blind fool vs sleeping dog thing---sleeping dog is dinner.....good thing he has a flexible nature and a good disposition and can repair stuff by self....hope we dont need ammunition against blind fool.( we have it, but war sucks, and world on water is such a small one)..i think even spreader lights would have been unseen by these folks--sad to know this can happen in pair a dice.....everything else has been so much fun--

my friend was considering changing out his cockpit design--now he has a reason for it....he gave me his force 10 newly bent bbq to fix and own...LOL...
Old 08-11-2012, 23:14   #81

Boat: Egan 12.40, Carter 33, Seawind 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Brad - I think he was talking tongue in cheek.
Thanks Factor, shoulda used some of those smilies, regards from Jeff.
waikikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 23:36   #82

Boat: Egan 12.40, Carter 33, Seawind 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Zeehag, after your initial post it was clear that you were not attacking catamarans per se, but seeking information. My comments were directed at another post, that as Factor has suggested, was probably intended as a joke. Seems like I started the day with a short-trigger! Apologies.

Brad
Brad, my apologies to you, I'm sorry
i didn't pop a couple of smilies on the post to indicate my intention. Humour can be a great tool, looks like i represented myself as such. Nearly got carried away with a tax rant on heavy vs light displacement with a square footage vessel shadow multiplier where heavy displacement got a bonus for "sharing" the extra water they displace more fairly! Maybe lucky I didn't........

Zeehag, I'm sad your mates boat got banged up but great that no one got hurt, these things usually have the contribution of not keeping a good look out & safe speed as major cause effects, clearly both at work in this case unless a vessel mechanical control issue is found.
As Factor indicated it's often smart to play down the pissed idiot line, once the at fault skipper is cornered the chance to make good the situation is enhanced if this doesn't cloud the issue, hopefully they learn from the mistake although our usual reaction to wrongs is to arc up & seek justice, which is great but some times best to keep your cool, smile sweetly & get the bucks for repair. Jeff.
waikikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:31   #83

Re: Have A Question For Catamaran Owners

i hope the cat guy learned from his mistake--there was injury--the briggsy generator no one likes blew up--detonated , spewing shrapnel into the guys bod--he didnt come to shore yesterday-- anesthetized self and played magnet medicine--we had a team for torture--extrication of shrapnel, but he preferred to torture self..... we see tday if he is alive enough for a trip in a sailing boat...
calamity james stated his briggsy didnt like being treated like a claymore mine.....is one way to rid the neiborhood of the dreaded noisey briggs genny.....

is ok, now-i can joke too......
Old 09-11-2012, 10:02   #84
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Waikikin, no need to aplogize. As I aready acknowledged a few posts back, I should have recognized that your post was not intended to be serious (although we have, from time, had some pretty irrational attacks on cats that were intended seriously). As I said, I think I woke up with a short fuse and needed a few more coffees to get my eyes (and mind) open. My apologies (and I dare say, on review, a pretty clever post - and sadly, way too clever for me, yesterday at least)!

Cheers!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:55   #85

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
steelie owner is saying that i twas time to change cockpit decor anyway--LOL--we laughing, now that the damages were actually a superficial and very pricey kind--3 outboards crushed, yes, crushed, and binnacle, now re sized and re installed--lol he is fast worker--and the aries -- he neeeds to fabricate pieces for that...
That is the silver lining ... sometimes (not always) an event like this is an opportunity to get some wanted or needed changes done at someone else's expense, and using professional labor. That doesn't change the shock and inconvenience of the event, but that is part of life and there may yet be some good to come from it.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 13:22   #86

Boat: Beach marine (modified Crowther) 36'

Its amazing how much dialogue can come from such an incident.
The simple fact is that whilst moronic idiots drink and drive there will always be preventable accidents (or purpose-dents as the original correspondent seems intent on believing).
What can the rest of us do against such brain dead boofheads? I dunno. Keep fingers crossed or maybe run the radar all night with zone alarm on?
That said it is usually the case that such brain dead drunks are usually brain dead types - before they drink to that state.
Jail is too good for him
Mowcacky⚓
Dbl07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 15:57   #87

While I haven't seen a cat' with the "monomangler" cable between it's bows, I have noticed many of them carry an equally sinister weapon - no doubt modelled on the mediaeval mace - many, even most, have a large, pointed metal object which hangs on a chain between their bows. I can think of no possible other purpose for this than to wreak damage on poor innocent monohulls.

It seems the more evil of them can even extend or shorten this weapon by way of an electrical windlass.... mono sailors watch out!
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran