Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2021, 23:19   #1

Going offshore in a homebuilt catamaran?

I recently purchased a homebuilt jarcat coral coast 29 catamaran and It seems there is not a whole lot of information around about these boats. One of my main curiosity’s is if anyone has taken one offshore? Also wondering how well they point into the wind, how fast they are, and how they handle nasty conditions? I have spent the last few weeks doing projects on her, hopefully will be in the water in another couple weeks

http://www.wprocket.org/?s=Jarcat%20

^here is the original ad for my boat, I got it for significantly cheaper then listed.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/opinions/stories/info
Old 20-04-2021, 23:25   #2

Re: Going offshore in a homebuilt catamaran?

When the owner built it on the Marquesas and sailed it to the continent, it should say it all, shouldn't it?
And now it's in Washington State, so a couple thousand miles from where it was build...
Old 20-04-2021, 23:32   #3

QUOTE=harlem24;3392060]When the owner built it on the Marquesas and sailed it to the continent, it should say it all, shouldn't it?
And now it's in Washington State, so a couple thousand miles from where it was build...[/QUOTE]

Reread the ad

He says he built in Washington state and attempted to sail it to Marquesas but was forced to turn around after rudder issue
Old 20-04-2021, 23:34   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlem24 View Post
When the owner built it on the Marquesas and sailed it to the continent, it should say it all, shouldn't it?
And now it's in Washington State, so a couple thousand miles from where it was build...
I think you read the passage backward. Started in Pacific NW, out two days enroute to the Marquesas and headed back in after breaking rudder in whale.
Old 21-04-2021, 03:37   #5

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Not many Jarcats about. They are certainly capable of crossing oceans I know of one that has done Europe to Caribbean and back. Offshore sailing is more down to the skipper than the boat.
Old 21-04-2021, 03:37   #6

Sorry, misread the for for from...
Old 21-04-2021, 04:01   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Going offshore in a homebuilt catamaran?

I don't see why not if properly built.. the hull form is very similar to the old Catalacs which have some serious voyaging under their belts.
Also many home built Wharrams have gone on to make Transats and circumnavigations over the 60yrs he's been churning out plans.
Just don't go out in hurricane/cyclone season.. the same as with any other boat if you have any survival instincts.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 21-04-2021, 05:00   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

I think Boatie nailed it ("spot on" in Brit-speak). The major concern is the quality of the build.

Were the bulkheads and bridge deck properly tabbed? Are the rudders well supported? Are the chainplates properly mounted to strong members? And of course, did the builder adhere to the (presumably) properly engineered plans?

If you are not comfortable personally making those analyses, hire a competent person who can make them.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 21-04-2021, 08:59   #9

One hundred percent dependent on the quality of the build.
Old 21-04-2021, 10:48   #10

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseWspoon View Post
I recently purchased a homebuilt jarcat coral coast 29 catamaran and It seems there is not a whole lot of information around about these boats. One of my main curiosity’s is if anyone has taken one offshore? Also wondering how well they point into the wind, how fast they are, and how they handle nasty conditions? I have spent the last few weeks doing projects on her, hopefully will be in the water in another couple weeks

Jarcat | WPRocket

^here is the original ad for my boat, I got it for significantly cheaper then listed.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/opinions/stories/info
Let's see, you got a home built, plywood catamaran that the builder was planning to solo the South Pacific in until he hit a whale. I don't see any dagger boards and with a two foot draft I think you'd better plan on more downwind sailing. As for nasty weather, cats are supposed to outrun the bad stuff rather than weather it. As for soloing it offshore, this just sounds like a good way to hit something in the night so I don't have much faith in the PO's logic. Since it's got coast in it's name, that probably what it was designed for. If you are in Washington, about the only thing offshore would be Japan or Iwo Jima. The boat looks like it would be great fun to sail around the PNW and it's got the accommodation for extra crew so get some if you plan doing anything serious. With enough experience you could probably do the South Pacific and farther in this boat - just get a good surveyor to check it out first.
Old 21-04-2021, 11:17   #11

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

The fillets look a little weird. Like no radius to them to help spread out the load. Looks basically like a 90 degree angle where the bulkheads meet the hull.

No idea what the plans say, but that’s not common.

The one visible chain plate looks normal and appears to have a doubler, which is good.

Stringers again seem to have a non existent radius where they meet the hull. 90 degrees. A bit odd.

The rig looks to be in fantastic shape.

Check the plans and check to see it was built to the plans. The beautiful thing about this boat is he didn’t paint the interior. You can see everything. So compare the finished product to the plans.
Old 21-04-2021, 11:49   #12

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

I see quality work in those pictures, I think you probably got a very good deal.
Old 21-04-2021, 12:12   #13
Marine Service Provider

You can't sue anyone if there is a manufacturing defect. At least anyone with money. That's why the clown BIH, no money.
Old 21-04-2021, 12:37   #14

Check out Zingaro on Youtube ! He made it to Hawaii , well almost ! Epic adventure on home built cat !
Old 21-04-2021, 13:54   #15

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

He was lucky in one respect. He had a capable woman on board who saved his arse--and Zingaro was a Crowther which unfortunately had been fatally modified but no one had noticed until the thing came apart.
Closed Thread

Tags
catamaran, offshore