Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2012, 17:44   #1

Boat: 28 Sabre 1974
Gemini 3400 worth the purchase?

I have owned a 28 Sabre for the past 8 years and have enjoyed sailing this fine craft along the northeast coast. Recently came across a deal on a mid 90s 3400 gemini thats been sitting on the hard for a few years. Owner ill and needs to sell ASAP. Vessel needs work and good cleaning. my main concern is the drive unit, it sports a 27hp westerbeke diesel with a sillete sonic drive unit. It has very low hrs on both. Just concerned about reliability and getting parts and any tips that I might need to know before i comit to purchasing this craft.
captain wayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 19:31   #2

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Re: Gemini 3400 worth the purchase?

Those engines should be interchangeable with other makes/models. If you find them difficult to maintain, you can trade them in for something else. Maybe that model year has some limitation, but I always understood that to be the great benefit of the outboard design on the Gemini's.

In general, they have a reputation of being easy to handle, easy to repair, and all-around very economical compared to other catamaran designs. They are not ideal for long term or luxury cruising, but are capable of cruising and terrific for sailing in shallow waters. It is one of the few catamarans with daggerboards, as well.

If you use the dagger boards, be careful when it is down on the leeward (or is it windward?) side. I've read at least one report of capsizing in conditions where the daggerboard contributes to hull lifting. I think that model only has the daggerboard on one side of the boat, which is the source of the risk.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 21:27   #3

That model has the transom steps in the back, right? If I were going to get a catamaran in a few years, the Gemini's would be high on the list.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 03:28   #4
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Best place to get info on the Gemini is the Gemini Yahoo group.
The Gemini doesn't have a single daggerboard it has two center boards. Also the model he is talking about supposedly has the diesel with out drive not the outboard.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 04:17   #5

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Westerbekes are reliable and easy to find parts for. And work on. Though as all diesels parts are pricey. Same goes with drive leg. A few others have modified their 3200 and 3400's and put outboards on them. Last 3400 I saw was sold in indiantown marina went for around 40 k. With a weak motor early last year. For abstarter cat its decent
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 04:23   #6
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos
Westerbekes are reliable and easy to find parts for. And work on. Though as all diesels parts are pricey. Same goes with drive leg. A few others have modified their 3200 and 3400's and put outboards on them. Last 3400 I saw was sold in indiantown marina went for around 40 k. With a weak motor early last year. For abstarter cat its decent
The 3200 never had the diesel option just outboard. I believe you could get the 3400 in diesel or outboard.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 04:37   #7

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

I second (third?) the choice...great boat if it's in good condition. We've never had a problem with the drive leg except for the locking and lifting mechanisms, and we have used one of the many workarounds we found on the gemini owners forum to mitigate that. Good maintenance (including replacing the boot and zinc every few years) and always checking the drive leg oil as part of your startup should keep it strong. Yes, the 3400 has 2 swing boards, and you should use only the lee-side board going upwind or halfway when wind's abeam. Lower one or both in windy docking situations. $40K for a 3400? I'd say that's a great deal, unless it's totally trashed. Good luck!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 04:41   #8

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Check out my posts on the Gemini, I have a 2002 one,

Stillette will send you parts from England and the Westerbeke parts are easily obtained,

I had no problems with either, any thing under 7000 hours, you should be allright if the motor has been properly maintained,

I have run aground a couple of times, Hard, nothing broke, even tho the aluminium yoke is supposed to be the weak link in it,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 04:57   #9

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Quote:
Originally Posted by smj

The 3200 never had the diesel option just outboard. I believe you could get the 3400 in diesel or outboard.
They did make a diesel outboard
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 11:59   #10

Boat: Gemini 3400 hull # 440

Considering that the question from Captain Wayde of New Jersey was posted prior to Hurricane Sandy, the Gemini catamaran he was considering may no longer be sitting serenely in the same location. But if anyone is looking for first-hand info on the Westerbeke diesel, the sonic drive leg, or anything else to with Gemini ownership, I'd recommend the Yahoo group Gemini-Cats. The '95 Gemini 3400 that we purchased in the spring has reasonably quiet outboard power (a Mercury 40 Bigfoot) so I can't really comment on what was then the "optional" cockpit-mounted diesel - other than to say that every Gemini built since 1997 has been fitted with one.

I can say that Gemini 3400s (yes, they have the transom steps) are relatively rare, only about 66 having been constructed from 1993-95. Any boat of that age will need a detailed survey, and will probably have some systems that need replacement. The biggest variable will be the extent to which her previous owner(s) practiced preventive maintenance.
Bluehen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 17:11   #11

Boat: 28 Sabre 1974

Yes sad to say the Gemini 3400 did not do well in Hurricane SANDY, A 12ft tide surge lifted her off the stands and into the live powerlines and fried all electical knocked down the mast and ended up at the front door of a local restaurant and blasted a hole in the starboard hull, the good news was no money was exchanged only a verbale exchange, no insurance on vessel, can be salvaged but at a cost im not sure I want to get get involved in.Anyone that might be interested I have some pics and can give you the marina contact, its a 93 with only 853hrs on the westerbeke
captain wayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 18:29   #12

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I would like to see just the piccys please.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:53   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain wayde View Post
Yes sad to say the Gemini 3400 did not do well in Hurricane SANDY, A 12ft tide surge lifted her off the stands and into the live powerlines and fried all electical knocked down the mast and ended up at the front door of a local restaurant and blasted a hole in the starboard hull, the good news was no money was exchanged only a verbale exchange, no insurance on vessel, can be salvaged but at a cost im not sure I want to get get involved in.Anyone that might be interested I have some pics and can give you the marina contact, its a 93 with only 853hrs on the westerbeke
I would be interested in seeing the pics and the information on the marina. Thank you
ducksloop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gemini, purchase