Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2013, 11:35   #1

Boat: Irwin 37
First Gemini Cat

Hi All!

So I'm sure I'm going to get a little bashed for this, but I've decided to purchase a starter boat of a Gemini 3000 or 3200. I have a budget of $40k and am looking for a first boat, one that needs some work, that I can learn on and live on. I've sailed on both mono hulls and multi hulls and prefer multis. And I really am just looking for a home that I can relocate when I want. I know that will offend some sailors out there but its the truth for me. I need to live in Los Angeles for a couple of years and then I will be free to roam. I don't plan on using this vessel for offshore cruising, just island hopping and cruising central america. Biggest problem being that I have not seen many on the west coast and am thinking I'll have to bring one through the canal as most are in Florida.

If anyone out there has some good pointers on things I should be looking out for when shopping for a boat please let me know. I of course will have it surveyed, but I'm still fairly new to boat life. And if anyone in florida would like to have a beer and tell me about them, I'll be there in two weeks to look at some boats on the market right now.

Thanks!
danikiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 11:51   #2
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: First Gemini Cat

1982 Gemini catamaran
that one looks ok. MAybe truck it
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 12:04   #3

Definetly truck-able. We've moved our 3400 twice this way. So if the panama canal trip is purely delivery, you have a better option.

As far as items to look for, it's mostly the usual stuff. The one item that may or may not be an issue is the boards rotting. You are looking at a 20+ yr old boat, so it's a potential issue.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 18:01   #4

Boat: Irwin 37

Thanks! I was under the impression that trucking it would cost me around 10K, is this incorrect? With the mast and rigging and all?

Also, I saw this on here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ico-98016.html

And its still on craigslist.
Gemini 3000 Cruising Catamaran

I haven't called yet cause it seems to me a long time to be trying to sell, the cruisers ad is from February. Is that a normal timeframe for selling?
danikiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 14:20   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by danikiser View Post
Thanks! I was under the impression that trucking it would cost me around 10K, is this incorrect? With the mast and rigging and all?

Also, I saw this on here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ico-98016.html

And its still on craigslist.
Gemini 3000 Cruising Catamaran

I haven't called yet cause it seems to me a long time to be trying to sell, the cruisers ad is from February. Is that a normal timeframe for selling?
I think it cost us $5k to ship from western kentucky to SE michigan a couple years ago. Milage has an impact so it depends where you start and end. Plus there is cost for haul out/launch and putting the mast up and down.

Now if you want to cruise thru the carribean/panama canal and up the west coast, the value of doing that has to be accounted for. If it's just a delivery (ie: get it there as quick as possible) it will likely cost well over $10k before you are done.

If you can find a suitable boat on the west coast, sailing it home on a delivery makes a lot more sense.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gemini