Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2013, 10:16   #46

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Finding the right cat for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Manning View Post

Ive found that when buying something/anything its in your best interest to ask someone whose bought the product rather than those "selling" the product.

I have seen posts from privilege owners who rave about how much they love their cat. Well, asking someone who has a bias towards a certain product is like asking a Mac or PC fanboy which hardware/operating system they think is the best. What Im looking for, I guess, is someone with an outsiders perspective on the matter. Or at least an owner who has things they LOVE about their cat but also willing to acknowledge and disclose all the small/big hicups and problems they have had with their cat.
So you will have to filter quite a bit from "owners" with bias and "outsiders".
Many times here on CF "outsiders" have been disqualified because they have no real experience with the item in question. Then the "owners" with experience can't be trusted because of bias.

Quite a quandry.

I have "researched" cruising cats since a year or so before I joined CF. Things have come a long way in just that time.

But what I want is out of my league so I will just continue to dream about it.

Good luck with checking your boxes. It should not be too hard in the end. It will be like it usually is no matter how empirical your approach. One will strike you - you will be blind to all others - and that will be it.
Old 19-05-2013, 11:14   #47

For everybody whose have directed me towards builders, whose shown me things I hadn't known about a builder, like antares having a galley up model, thank you. Mark, leaurider, outforduck, catalysis, gbanker, zeehag, your input on this last page has been appreciated.

Seafog - Please no more posts here. Your perspective on my concerns being unfounded and subjective are as valid as me thinking you have a considerable interest in protecting your decision to buy a privilege.I really am not trying to pick a fight, I'm trying to avoid friction by suggesting we cut the lines asap. We will probably keep clashing with nothing productive to show for it, so lets just separate while the separating is good. Lets just agree to disagree and move on. You and I just arent on the same wavelength, there is no reason for us to continue interacting with each other so lets just not.

Sand Crab - Ive said, multiple times, in various posts on this thread why I chose to include diff builders, diff types, etc etc. I hope this doesnt come off as rude but the answer below will hopefully give you a clue as to the who, what, where, and why of my decision making process.

Therapy - life is a sucky conundrum that poivides many catch 22s and oxymorons. Inevitability of life I guess. There is already one that strikes the hell out of me, and I love it, but I'm doing my best to have a practical approach and look for as many possibilities as I can. I dont want to make the same mistake many homeowners over the past decade have made, buying with their wallet or their hearts. I want to love my boat but I also want to do my best in making sure that I have very few or forgivable regrets down the line by looking at many prospects (even the ones outside the mold), weighing the good and bad, and then slowly whittling down my choices. Whenever I've made decisions this way, Ive always had long term satisfaction.
R. Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 13:21   #48

Boat: 45' CC ketch

Quote:
there is no reason for us to continue interacting with each other so lets just not.
Sure, no problem, if it makes you feel better I very much hope you find a right boat for you, and I hope you tell us here what it was.
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 13:30   #49

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:

Therapy - life is a sucky conundrum that poivides many catch 22s and oxymorons. Inevitability of life I guess. There is already one that strikes the hell out of me, and I love it, but I'm doing my best to have a practical approach and look for as many possibilities as I can. I dont want to make the same mistake many homeowners over the past decade have made, buying with their wallet or their hearts. I want to love my boat but I also want to do my best in making sure that I have very few or forgivable regrets down the line by looking at many prospects (even the ones outside the mold), weighing the good and bad, and then slowly whittling down my choices. Whenever I've made decisions this way, Ive always had long term satisfaction.
Hang in there.

I hope to find out the crush of now and the final love.
Old 19-05-2013, 15:28   #50

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

How about this one. Easy to handle aerorig. Epoxy is a good thing and blisters are almost nonexistent.
2013 Pedigree Catamarans Shuttleworth Areorig sailboat for sale in Washington
Old 19-05-2013, 15:34   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Or this one

Attitude
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 15:44   #52

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Or this one

Attitude
Absolutely a well built good sailing cat but in my opinion racing is more a priority than liveaboard/crusing in its design.

Does it have 1kw solar, water catchment built in ???

I would certainly be worthwhile the OP visiting Australia in his quest.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 16:32   #53
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post

Absolutely a well built good sailing cat but in my opinion racing is more a priority than liveaboard/crusing in its design.

Does it have 1kw solar, water catchment built in ???

I would certainly be worthwhile the OP visiting Australia in his quest.
One mans racing is another mans cruising? :-)
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 19:04   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Indeed

the owners built the boat to go fast but also to cruise the South Pacific as a couple. Which they have done a bit of already. If it was going to be racing focused it would have had near the level of internal finish or external attributes. And yes water catchment built in but not quite 1kw of solar.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote