Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2015, 19:55   #1

Boat: Islander 32, shoal draft, tall rig
diesel power for gemini 3200

Time to repower and I was wondering about a diesel for a Gemini 3200 instead of outboard motor. Is it done. Maybe with a saildrive?

Soliciting comments, ideas, etc.

Thanks all
1oldbuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 20:34   #2
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: diesel power for gemini 3200

My personal opinion, the Gemini was designed for an outboard not an inboard diesel with saildrive. The 3200 is a very weight sensitive boat. The diesel with the saildrive would ruin the performance and shoal draft capabilities. Stick to what it was designed for.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 04:54   #3

Probably cost more than the boat is worth and you would lose most of the back cabins. Also as mentioned, you would go from the ability to get into 18" of water to probably more like 40" minimum draft.

Get yourself a modern fuel injected 4 stroke outboard. Replaced in an afternoon, quiet, effient and reliable. That's what we did 8yrs ago and have loved it.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 05:11   #4
cruiser

Boat: Solaris Sunrise Sport 36’

Greetings,

Have you considered and or looked at some of the diesel outboards? I know Yanmar is making some nice ones. The only issue you may have is weight to horsepower ratio. Just a thought. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Jahwork
Jahwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 05:14   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahwork View Post
Greetings,

Have you considered and or looked at some of the diesel outboards? I know Yanmar is making some nice ones. The only issue you may have is weight to horsepower ratio. Just a thought. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Jahwork
Did Yanmar re-enter the US market with thier outboards?
Old 21-07-2015, 07:26   #6

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Greetings,

Jahwork
Don't know if they have changed? The Yanmar diesel OB I saw about 11 yrs. ago, would wake the dead.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 07:42   #7

Boat: MacGregor 26X

Another vote for an outboard diesel if one can be found.
MidwestRefugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 07:46   #8
cruiser

Boat: Solaris Sunrise Sport 36’

I am sorry but I do not know the status of the U.S. Market in relation to Yanmar, and yes I would agree they can be quite loud and heavy, at least the older ones I have seen/heard. I have always liked the idea of a diesel powered outboard for the safety of not carrying gasoline aboard as well as the luxury of a single fuel for both of my main engines, I have yanmar diesel inboards aboard my Island Packet Cat, and the dinghy. That being said, I still carry a 2.5 horse gas powered Honda and a 9.9 gas powered Evinrude for the dinghy. So I cannot say I am practicing what I am preaching. I was just pondering the idea that if a diesel powered main is what you are after, and your boat is currently designed and built for an outboard power plant, a diesel outboard might solve your issue and be much less work and engineering than re-powering with an inboard. whichever route you choose I look forward to hearing your experience.
Jahwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 07:52   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I would think a four stroke 15HP Honda, with the extra long leg, would drive her at hull speed. I loved the one I put on a 31' Sunrunner. Quiet and economical.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 08:56   #10

Boat: Scout 30

The Yanmar outboard has not been available in the US for many years.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 09:07   #11

Look at the high thrust long leg outboards available now days. the ones with the big props etc.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 09:10   #12

Quote:
I am sorry but I do not know the status of the U.S. Market in relation to Yanmar, and yes I would agree they can be quite loud and heavy, at least the older ones I have seen/heard. I have always liked the idea of a diesel powered outboard for the safety of not carrying gasoline aboard as well as the luxury of a single fuel for both of my main engines, I have yanmar diesel inboards aboard my Island Packet Cat, and the dinghy. That being said, I still carry a 2.5 horse gas powered Honda and a 9.9 gas powered Evinrude for the dinghy. So I cannot say I am practicing what I am preaching. I was just pondering the idea that if a diesel powered main is what you are after, and your boat is currently designed and built for an outboard power plant, a diesel outboard might solve your issue and be much less work and engineering than re-powering with an inboard. whichever route you choose I look forward to hearing your experience.
I saw one once on a Gemini and it is certainly a viable option but they left the US market a while back and as far as I know they haven't returned. The big advantage of large alternator for electicity and hot water heating go away with an outboard diesel though.

With bottom vented fuel tanks and outboard engines, the fuel concern is drastically less than with an old atomic 4 in the bottom of a mono. Plus as you point out, most people still have gas for the dingy motor.

There is some debate on HP. Some people are going towards the 15hp as you can get them with the 25" shaft. Others lean toward 25hp as you occasionally need the extra power if you are fighting a strong headwind. The downside is you get a 20" shaft or have to buy an extension kit.

We've been going 8yrs and several thousand miles with a 25hp and 20" shaft and it's not been a problem. We believe the shaft length is not an issue related to being in cruising trim and sitting 2-3" lower in the water compared to a light boat that sits higher.
Old 21-07-2015, 15:08   #13

Don't do it !

See how easy it is to install a new outboard.

One or two inboard installation would be a nightmare
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 15:13   #14
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

I can't understand the reasoning for going with a diesel outboard. They may be slightly more fuel efficient but the weight and noise to me would be a definite downside. 4stroke outboards have come a long way in both fuel efficiency and reliability.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2015, 15:23   #15

Two Torqeedo's , one on each hull and a Gen set! This way the gen set also does your house charging needs... ???

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gemini